R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 28   Go Down

Author Topic: Are there any non-cynical audio engineers over 40???  (Read 57636 times)

breathe

Are there any non-cynical audio engineers over 40???
« on: March 18, 2010, 06:37:40 PM »

I am fucking serious.  I WILL OVERTAKE YOU.  I may be naive but I have a value system that drives everything that I do.  If you seriously feel that everything that could be done has been done before then fucking check out of this situation and check into a retirement home.  There is NO USE for cynicism in the facilitation of art.

Nicholas

breathe

Re: Are there any non-cynical audio engineers over 40???
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 06:52:54 PM »

Brian Paulson seems like he still gives a fuck.  Steve Fisk is totally lost in Pro Tools mixing bullshit.  HAVE  A FUCKING VALUE SYSTEM.

Nicholas

meverylame

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 07:01:08 PM »

"To accept the things I cannot change .... and the wisdom to know the difference."

Seems that this never sunk in huh?
Cheers!
Jason Kingsland

http://www.jasonruinsrecords.com

breathe

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 07:17:18 PM »

Martin Bisi is still doing good shit.

Nicholas

breathe

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 07:20:38 PM »

Why is it so obvious who is doing good shit and why is this obviousness lost on so many engineers?

Nicholas

jetbase

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 07:29:28 PM »

Sounds like you're getting cynical about engineers Nicholas. Just switch your computer off & get out there & do your thing while you have the energy. Music is a healer. Don't forget to breathe.

G
sleep is not an option

jwhynot: "There's a difference between thinking or acting dogmatically and drawing from experience."

Glenn Santry
http://www.myspace.com/glennsantry

danickstr

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 07:41:10 PM »

All my bases are belong to you.
Nick Dellos - MCPE  

Food for thought for the future:              http://http://www.kurzweilai.net/" target="_blank">http://www.kurzweilai.net/www.physorg.com

leonardo valvassori

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 07:45:18 PM »

Too busy to worry about it really.

and I'm way over 40.

Ta.
Leonardo Valvassori

KB_S1

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 07:53:21 PM »

I am reminded of the bosses office scene in Fight Club.
<a href="http://www.parklanerecordingstudios.com/" class="link3">Park Lane Studio</a> Where to find me most of the time<br /><br />

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/kb_s1/" class="link3">Flickr</a>where to see what I have been up to  <br /><br />

compasspnt

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 08:50:11 PM »

Thank you for warning everyone that you are in Austin.

grantis

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 09:02:13 PM »

i work for one.  nicest guy you'll find anywhere too.
Grant Craig
Nuovo Music (Me)
Skiddco Music (Where I work)
Work History (Well, some of it anyway)

Wireline

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 09:16:27 PM »

Use the left lane when passing, remember to use turn signals.  
Ken Morgan
Wireline Studio
Midland, Texas
www.wirelinestudio.com

John Ivan

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 09:39:50 PM »

Funny you should mention all this..

I'm just coming through a period where I had a pretty cynical view of nearly everything. I thought Music had changed so much that what I had to offer didn't matter anymore.. This was just me being lazy though... Sure, there are things about record making that I don't like these days.. But who said I have to work that way? Why does this mean I have to take a dim view of MY part in all this..

I took a long break.. Sat down in a chair, did a lot of reading, a lot of talking and listened to a lot of music.. I'm starting some gigging again and feel really great... It's still true!! If you walk on and truly give 100% and show people the love you have for music, share the music you have in your heart with them, they will respond in a positive way. I have proof ;-}

I have to remember, the average listener doesn't burden themselves with all this crap about "over editing" and "ottotune" or what ever else I don't like about some records. They still want me to do what I've always done.. Make music my way. Sing my way. Make a recording that sounds like me, my way.. Cover this or that with my own twist..

As a 45 year old who has done nothing but music his whole life, I can say the following: If I don't like what I'm hearing sometimes out there in radio land or where ever. I can do my part to change it by simply writing tunes and recording them. This wont change how others do it, but why sit on the side lines? Again, people want great tunes and great performances. They aren't wrestling with "method".. I believe I can still move them.. They don't care whether I do it "The old way" or not.. They just want to be moved by it..

I see it as my job to do this..Write and record things I love so I can share it with other people. Period.. That's why I'm here..

If what I have to say to young people about all this is true, I should be able to play it for them! Show them.. "see, this is why a band sounds great when they play as a band"..and so on.. Show them how/why.. Help them..

Long winded.. Sorry.

Ivan.......................
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

Dale Francis

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 10:30:08 PM »

breathe wrote on Thu, 18 March 2010 18:37

I am fucking serious.  I WILL OVERTAKE YOU.  I may be naive but I have a value system that drives everything that I do.  If you seriously feel that everything that could be done has been done before then fucking check out of this situation and check into a retirement home.  There is NO USE for cynicism in the facilitation of art.

Nicholas

damn myopic and jaundice viewpoint
Dale Francis
practicing the art of listening

compasspnt

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 10:38:51 PM »

Nicolas, in all seriousness, you need to understand that this music recording "business" is full of people who think as you first posted here...by definition.

If one does not think what you are working on RIGHT NOW is great, then why are they there at all?

Every single day I wake up and say to myself, "Great, I am 18 years old, I love making music, and I get to go do it again today!"

Most people I know in this biz (but not all) have a similar attitude.  If they didn't love it, didn't give it their all, they would probably find something else to do.

I think I have done some of my best work ever this year.  Time will tell of course.  But I learn something new and exciting almost every day in the studio. And I have done this now for a few years...and am "almost" forty...

Your attitude is a good thing to have.

Just be sure it does not go to your head, and that you also learn to recognise when you have gone astray.

Best of luck.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 28   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 16 queries.