R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I found a nice lil guitar amp  (Read 2802 times)

Adam The Truck Driver

I found a nice lil guitar amp
« on: March 17, 2010, 01:18:25 PM »

This maybe a sleeper. I know Orange has been making great/legendary tube amps for many many years, but this one isn't tube. It sounds awesome, like something many times more expensive or, like I think it has to have tubes in it, but it doesn't. I paid $100.00 for it.

An Orange Crush 10. Solid state yes, but it sounds amazing IMO. Ten watts class A I believe, little amp, sounds huge. Single channel, three band EQ,  master volume, and gain 1 & 2, 6.5 or 8" driver that can sound more like a 10 or 12" driver. It is tone dynamic too. It can be set up to sound clean or super distorted and everything in between.  Simple, no reverb, or efx loop. I play a very nice *LP clone* through it daily, because it makes me want to hear it. If you like the "British" I'm told or "Brown Sound" it was defined to me as what this sounds like, check one out for yourself. Honestly, I don't see how you could be disappointed if you like a good sounding inexpensive guitar amp. YMMV.

I have no affiliation to Orange Amplification. Just wanted to share this super bargain amp I found. A buddy o mine bought it off ebay and I bought it off him.
Adam Brown

No File Selected.

compasspnt

Re: I found a nice lil guitar amp
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 03:25:26 PM »

have been wanting to try one too

Adam The Truck Driver

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 11:04:11 AM »

Also note, at higher volume speaker distortion does occur, especially with higher gain levels. This to my ear isn't bad sounding either. What is really nice is at particular settings I can get clean tone with a gentle touch, or nice modulation with a more agressive touch of picking or strumming in the same setting on the amp. That's what I mean by dynamic. It isn't just the same sound either louder or quieter.

Spoke to my friend yesterday. He says Orange also has a 30 watt bass amp with a 10 or 12inch driver that is also very impressive, so I'll have to get one of those too I guess.
Adam Brown

No File Selected.

PaulyD

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 10:17:41 AM »

Here's a YouTube video of a guitarist demoing an Orange Crush 10: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iT_yY-4V78

Pretty darned impressive for such a little amp with a 57 in front of it. I've checked out some other Orange amp reviews on YouTube, too, and I'm really impressed.

Thanks for the heads up, Adam!

Paul

Adam The Truck Driver

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 10:27:30 AM »

You're welcome Paul. I have some other mics lined up,  Rolling Eyes , to put in front of my Orange amp(s), plus a 57 with a AMI/TAB transformer. I never thought to look on youtube. thanks.
Adam Brown

No File Selected.

Silvertone

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 08:43:54 AM »

I keep an old Fender Harvard Reverb II amp around for the same reason. It's a great sounding little amp.  After you record a few tracks with tube amps, record a track with this amp (which can sound just as "heavy" as the tube amps) but doesn't need EQ to stand out in the track.

Kind of like having a Guild maple top acoustic on one side and a Martin spruce on the other side... no EQ needed for both to stand out in the track.

SS amps are a nice alternative to the "big brother" tube amps... or having to use an alternate mic to try and get a "different" sound happening.

I've "turned" more than one guitarist onto the use of SS amps. Most just sneer at them... until they try it!

This little Orange amp reminds me a lot of my Harvard Reverb!
Larry DeVivo
Silvertone Mastering, Inc.
PO Box 4582
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
www.silvertonemastering.com
To see some of our work please click on any of the visual trailer montages located at... http://robertetoll.com/  (all music and sound effects were mastered by Silvertone Mastering).

zakco

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 12:44:25 PM »

PaulyD wrote on Fri, 19 March 2010 07:17

Here's a YouTube video of a guitarist demoing an Orange Crush 10: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iT_yY-4V78

My favorite part of that video is the fact that a guy his age took the time to learn how to play "I've got a feeling". Maybe there is hope...

-Z-
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 21 queries.