R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: For the new kids, CD is dead.  (Read 3056 times)

breathe

For the new kids, CD is dead.
« on: March 06, 2010, 10:09:05 PM »

I don't know why I get so much resistance to this idea.  I know CDs radically outsell vinyl and digital downloads, but no one I know in the 18-35 age group is buying CD's anymore.  Everyone's using iTunes or whatever and the cool kids/audiophiles are also buying vinyl (which often include unique digital download codes to get MP3's of the songs on the record).  This is what the new generation of the music buying public is doing, and I don't see that trend changing.  If the older crowd is still buying CD's, that's fine, but they will be overtaken by more people buying music online as younger generations age.  I think the appeal of a physical format is still very real, and vinyl satisfies that hunger much more than CD with a more tangible sound and more physical space for artwork.  I declare CD is going the way of the dinosaur quickly.

Best,
Nicholas

compasspnt

Re: For the new kids, CD is dead.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 10:44:32 PM »

Go for it, Dude.

Fletcher

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 06:38:34 AM »

As well it should... but its nice to know that the "vinyl revival" is happening in a more widespread manner than just my oldest daughter.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

John Ivan

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 03:38:34 PM »

Fletcher wrote on Mon, 08 March 2010 06:38

As well it should... but its nice to know that the "vinyl revival" is happening in a more widespread manner than just my oldest daughter.

HA! Yeah, my boy, now 12 {holy crap!} and me were down town and he hipped me to a "record" store in an old building, up stairs. It was a trip. They have both CD's and  vinyl and there were a bunch of young people in there.. This is Traverse City Michigan.. Talk about off the beaten path.. I can't remember the name of the store. I'll ask him today.. I hear these kids talking about turn tables and so on.. I might do a seminar for these punks.. "this is what a Stereo used to consist of". I'll bet they would love it.

Of course, their parents wont like it one bit..$$$ LOL--

Ivan................
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

DarinK

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 05:17:17 PM »

It makes sense for the CD to go away.  That does not mean digital is going away, of course.  But having a collection of digital music on a hard drive makes more sense than having stacks of CDs.  What's the point in buying something on CD just to rip it to a hard drive & never touch the disc again?
I do really like the 'vinyl album w/ download code' setup.  Digital is great for convenience, and when I'm at home & have the time, I love listening to albums.
I think a lot of the fun in records (for kids & adults) is that it's a physical process, handling at the album, looking at the cover, watching the turntable.  Even if the sound quality were exactly the same, it would still be more satisfying to play a record.  
As much as the tech crowd loves "virtual", human beings have been living in the real world for as long as there have been human beings, and once the novelty of something virtual wears off, the real world is more appealing.  That's why the tech world keeps trying to come up with new things - they're aware of how much of the appeal is just the novelty.  And the novelty of digital music is gone.  All it's got going for it now is convenience, which certainly counts for something, too.

jrmintz

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 02:28:48 PM »

My kid likes CDs in addition to (legal) downloads because she wants to know the credits and she likes owning something tangible. She'd like to have a turntable and I might get her one if she ever cleans up her damn room.

audiowonderland

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 11:30:27 AM »

Fletcher wrote on Mon, 08 March 2010 05:38

I would be cool with vinyl. I think its a moot point though until a quality, cost effective turntable returns to the market. I would probably want a 44/16 or better quality digital version as well though.

Hank Alrich

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 04:43:57 PM »

Audiowonderland wrote on Thu, 18 March 2010 08:30

Fletcher wrote on Mon, 08 March 2010 05:38

I would be cool with vinyl. I think its a moot point though until a quality, cost effective turntable returns to the market. I would probably want a 44/16 or better quality digital version as well though.

There is a startling range of tt's available today, many at reasonable prices.

http://www.needledoctor.com/

Jay Kadis

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 04:48:26 PM »

The CD will be dead when they stop putting players in cars at the factory.

Eric H.

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 09:18:21 AM »

I'm 30. I buy Cds.
My Cd player sounds much better than crappy integrated sound card in computers or mp3 players.
I don't listen to music in the street because I don't need anymore a soundtrack to live my life. Streets in the city are too noisy anyway to hear anything.
Hearing is damagable: don't let kids waste it on loud mp3.
eric harizanos

Harland

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 06:41:02 PM »

jrmintz wrote on Sat, 13 March 2010 14:28

My kid likes CDs in addition to (legal) downloads because she wants to know the credits and she likes owning something tangible. She'd like to have a turntable and I might get her one if she ever cleans up her damn room.

Aww, get her one anyway! You can do it - come on,you know you want to, just DO it! There, now, doesn't that feel better??

jrmintz

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2010, 09:05:14 PM »

Harland wrote on Sat, 20 March 2010 18:41

jrmintz wrote on Sat, 13 March 2010 14:28

Aww, get her one anyway! You can do it - come on,you know you want to, just DO it! There, now, doesn't that feel better??

You haven't seen her room...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 22 queries.