R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PMC LB1's  (Read 4253 times)

domc

PMC LB1's
« on: March 17, 2010, 01:05:01 AM »

anyone used/heard these?  Advice?  Ive got an offer to grab a pair cheap
Domc

Mastering Engineer
Dominic McGlinn B.Mus.T. (Hons)

Margate, QLD
+61421961641

www.domc.com.au
dom@domc.com.au

lowland

Re: PMC LB1's
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 07:45:53 AM »

Nice 2-way transmission line monitors, AFAIK PMC stopped making them a while back. Jon Astley has a surround set -

http://www.closetotheedge.biz/index.htm

I heard a couple of pairs in different studios some time ago and thought them good for the money, though as with all monitors I expect you'll want to try them in your own space before parting with the readies.
Nigel Palmer
Lowland Masters
Essex, UK
www.lowlandmasters.com

Spike

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 11:20:02 AM »

I love mine for mix work, paired with a suitably powered Bryston... not sure whether they're analytical enough for mastering though, as I have no experience in that field. Mixes translate great and the bass extension is tight and surprising considering their size...

bkuijt

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 06:03:41 PM »

The LB1's are great but small monitors.
They are quite popular in my circle and I am quite fond of them.

One of my first encounters was at the Sadie office, a 5 channel surround set linked to a simple Sony amp and it blew us away!
Later at the Sony SACD office we did a comparison of LB1's to various ADAM models, 2 or 3 of two way ribbon tweeter models, and the LB1 won.
Very nice top end and integration from low-mid to highs. The sound stage is very convincing and appealing.

But I wouldn't use them for mastering, not enough SPL, the woofer can actually break from high levels. The build quality is not very sturdy, not at all like its bigger PMC brothers.
I do use them as home system and they function well for checking work brought home from the studio. They are combined with a B&W sub.

In the studio of the Bimhuis in Amsterdam where I also work we have a set of LB1's combined with the PMC active sub. The sub is a great extra and takes a lot of load of the LB1's woofer. In total there is more level and a far more relaxed sound at higher spl levels.

So: get them! and look for a Bryston 3B (ST/SST if you want).
I'm sure you can use them somehow, maybe not as your mains though.
Bastiaan Kuijt  //  BK Audio  //  www.bkaudio.nl

domc

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 02:10:31 AM »

Thanks for your responses.
Domc

Mastering Engineer
Dominic McGlinn B.Mus.T. (Hons)

Margate, QLD
+61421961641

www.domc.com.au
dom@domc.com.au

Andy Krehm

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 03:36:47 PM »

After my new (and smallish) mastering studio was built, I was looking for speakers that would work well in that size room.

One of the speakers I had out for audition was the PMC LB1s but even with a sub, didn't feel they were suitable for main mastering monitors. IIRC, they didn't quite seem to cover the range needed and they couldn't be cranked very loud (but that was a few years ago so not sure my observations are correct).

The final choice for me was between PMC AML-1s and Lipinski 505s. I was leaning towards the AML-1s but one side of the demo set stopped working (just before a mastering session!) and so had to be picked up by the dealer.

The next day the Lipinski's arrived for audition and I liked them well enough to look for the right sub woofer match. The 15" sub that came with them was too big for my room but then I tried stereo Velodyne D-10 subs and have been happy ever since.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 20 queries.