R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Pernice Brothers, Muse, and distorted bass sounds  (Read 2201 times)

CarterMnyc

The Pernice Brothers, Muse, and distorted bass sounds
« on: August 01, 2004, 04:00:55 PM »

Is anyone here a fan?  I love their vocal production and bass sounds.  Gorgeous stuff.  My question is, what is the best way to get a fuzz bass that doesnt scream with mud and high end.  I hear bands like Pernice Brothers and on a totally different plane of existence, Muse, use distorted bass sounds that bring sheer energy.  Does anyone have any tips?  I'm trying so hard here with my ampeg flip top and a big muff pi, but i just cant get anything on tape that sounds right.  Cheers!

takeout

Re: The Pernice Brothers, Muse, and distorted bass sounds
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2004, 10:23:14 AM »

You need to start with a good clean tone, then dirty it up.  If you don't like high end in the distorted tone, roll it off at the bass.  The mids on the fliptop are your likely culprit for the mud.

Try splitting the signal into clean lows and dirty highs; a lot of bass overdrive pedals let you do this.

j.hall

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2004, 10:56:07 AM »

smokey amps.....

mult and blend

problem with most distortion boxes is that drop all the low end from the signal

tchad blake is a HUGE fan of the sans amp bass DI and bass drive pedals

lord

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2004, 08:34:44 PM »

The sans-amp bass pedals are great. It's really easy to get a useable sound from those.

The sickest bass fuzz pedal I ever heard was a ZVex Whooly Mammoth. It's un-holy. It doesn't loose a drop of low end, but gives you all the grind on the top you could ever want.

I haven't heard those bands but that's probably not what you're after.

JPRisus

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2004, 08:11:50 PM »

Been doing a lot of this lately... the trick is to keep the original sound as-is and run the distortion parralel to it. That way you don't lose anything, it's all addition. Maybe i'll mic up my ampeg rig and mult the bass into a sansamp as well, and crank up the sansamp gain. My Boss OD/Dist pedal has been ruling lately, especially in front of the Ampeg with the Sansamp parralel at a more moderate setting. Depends on the bass, what the song needs, how much dirt is necessary, how much "clean" bass should be allowed, etc.
J.P. Sheganoski
Engineer/Mixer
www.RisusProductions.com
Purevolume.com/risusproductions
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 18 queries.