R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: IMP 24 Discussion  (Read 24273 times)

NelsonL

Re: IMP 24 Discussion
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2010, 04:10:47 PM »

j.hall wrote on Fri, 12 March 2010 12:28

for my reviews i'll only listen to the intro, verse and 1st chorus.  KNOW that when reading.  if you did anything "fancy" past that point, i'll never hear it.

NelsonL
holy lowend batman.  what are they doing to you over there in Dubai?  that bottom end is swallowing your mix alive.  listening around it, there are some really cool things going on here.  that vocal delay is nicely placed.

Ha! I was afraid that might happen.

Apparently supporting my wife's career has given me a swollen bottom.

You just convinced me to buy better headphones though.

grantis

« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2010, 09:06:47 PM »

NelsonL wrote on Fri, 12 March 2010 15:10

j.hall wrote on Fri, 12 March 2010 12:28

for my reviews i'll only listen to the intro, verse and 1st chorus.  KNOW that when reading.  if you did anything "fancy" past that point, i'll never hear it.

NelsonL
holy lowend batman.  what are they doing to you over there in Dubai?  that bottom end is swallowing your mix alive.  listening around it, there are some really cool things going on here.  that vocal delay is nicely placed.

Ha! I was afraid that might happen.

Apparently supporting my wife's career has given me a swollen bottom.

You just convinced me to buy better headphones though.

Sennheiser HD-580's, if you can find em.
Grant Craig
Nuovo Music (Me)
Skiddco Music (Where I work)
Work History (Well, some of it anyway)

caintorst

« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2010, 02:58:33 AM »

Firstly, a big thanks to everyone who submitted. While I may not personally address each mix, as a whole it has already been very reflectively educational to my own mix listening to the rather awesome array of choices everyone else made.  If that makes sense, I hope it does.

To be critical of my own mix after hearing the rest as a side-by-side:

I did definitely drop the ball on the bass and specifically the low-end of the bass.  No real excuse for that, maybe my monitoring situation or just a bad balance call.  

The verb was indeed a little thick, perhaps, or I failed to get a good overall balance with it.  

My high-end was still a touch sizzley, as Mr. Hall pointed out.  While I rolled back the high-end on the drum overheads, which I felt was pretty harsh, I left perhaps a bit much in the high-hat -- I did like, though, having it forward a bit to get some interplay with the tambourine.

After hearing Mr. Hall, Graham and Mcsnare work with the tambourine, I think I didn't do it a great deal of justice with regard the power it had to lift the chorus.

I thoroughly enjoyed the overall feel of mcsnare's mix, the mono slapback vocal delay was perhaps more what I myself should have gone with to acheive, again, that throw-back kind of feel vs. what I myself ended up with.

I also was pretty impressed with Adam Miller's mix as a whole, it feels pretty solid, maybe a touch much on the high-end of the bass, but I think it's just a matter of personal taste there.

More impressions to come as I continue to listen, it's a bit hard being critical of other engineers and their mixes as a new guy to the forum, so I'm trying to ease into it.

caintorst

« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2010, 03:02:13 AM »

Oh, also.  Not to be needy, but, H2o2 did suggest that my drums felt a little 'carton' -- I don't entirely know what he meant by that, and since he can obviously no longer answer for himself, I take it to mean he felt they lacked either punch or dynamics on the entire bus.  Did anyone else feel this way about the drums in my mix?  He may have been a bit unruly but I don't want to completely discount what he had to say.

Thanks!

Seb Riou

« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2010, 06:30:52 AM »

j.hall wrote on Fri, 12 March 2010 21:28

Seb Riou
LOWEND!!!  wonder if you have an acoustics issue.  the bottom is HUGE, top is ducked.  vocal feels quiet and a bit dark.  if you tamed that bottom down you'd probably have something pretty cool.  guitars feel good to me.

I think you're right, something wrong with my room here. I always thought it had a 125 Hz bump but never care to treat, so got used to mix with a bassy sound (Focals Solo 6Be w/o sub here). Lately clients recalled for more kick and bass, so I guess I tried to mix with an over lowish environment, and lost perspective !

Time for a real room tuning, for high ends too.

It's funny cos at first I dug mixes that sounded close to mine (Nelson L. I loved yours !) before realising we were in the bushes ..

When I listened carefully to Yoink's, J.'s, and Adam Miller's, I was like "Duh ! THEY got it Right".

Great lesson..

NelsonL

« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2010, 09:02:00 AM »

Seb Riou wrote on Sat, 13 March 2010 03:30

j.hall wrote on Fri, 12 March 2010 21:28

Seb Riou
LOWEND!!!  wonder if you have an acoustics issue.  the bottom is HUGE, top is ducked.  vocal feels quiet and a bit dark.  if you tamed that bottom down you'd probably have something pretty cool.  guitars feel good to me.

I think you're right, something wrong with my room here. I always thought it had a 125 Hz bump but never care to treat, so got used to mix with a bassy sound (Focals Solo 6Be w/o sub here). Lately clients recalled for more kick and bass, so I guess I tried to mix with an over lowish environment, and lost perspective !

Time for a real room tuning, for high ends too.

It's funny cos at first I dug mixes that sounded close to mine (Nelson L. I loved yours !) before realising we were in the bushes ..

When I listened carefully to Yoink's, J.'s, and Adam Miller's, I was like "Duh ! THEY got it Right".

Great lesson..

Here something that can be instructive: put on a track you know well and that you know to sound great.

Try moving from mix position to the back of your room. Listen to how (possibly) the low end changes. You might actually be sitting right where some sort of cancellation is particularly nasty.

Seb Riou

« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2010, 10:05:45 AM »

Hi Nelson,
funny you say that, cos there's a spot near the entrance door that's got BIG subs. I always figured it was a build up with a corner wall, I gues I was wrong. Could I have both a 125/140 Hz bump and a 60/80 Hz dip at mix pos?

Nevermind, analyser is on its way for an accurate measure !

Thanks for the tip

NelsonL

« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2010, 10:15:00 AM »

Seb Riou wrote on Sat, 13 March 2010 07:05

Hi Nelson,
funny you say that, cos there's a spot near the entrance door that's got BIG subs. I always figured it was a build up with a corner wall, I gues I was wrong. Could I have both a 125/140 Hz bump and a 60/80 Hz dip at mix pos?

Nevermind, analyser is on its way for an accurate measure !

Thanks for the tip

I don't really know enough to make any assumptions about what might be going on in your room. It's just a phenomena I've observed in a few completed rooms and on a buildout that I helped with.

But I think yes, you can have both a null and a build up in different bands. I should leave this stuff to the experts though. Maybe a good idea for a new thread?

grantis

« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2010, 10:16:33 AM »

If I remember correctly...a 60 hz wave is about 3 feet long.  So moving your mix position even by 3 feet should change what you're hearing significantly.
Grant Craig
Nuovo Music (Me)

bblackwood

« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2010, 10:23:28 AM »

grantis wrote on Sat, 13 March 2010 09:16

If I remember correctly...a 60 hz wave is about 3 feet long.  

Speed of sound - 1130 ft/sec @ nominal temperature (20C).

1130fps/60Hz = ~19' wavelength.

A 3' wavelength would occur at a frequency of about ~380Hz.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

grantis

« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2010, 10:33:07 AM »

bblackwood wrote on Sat, 13 March 2010 09:23

grantis wrote on Sat, 13 March 2010 09:16

If I remember correctly...a 60 hz wave is about 3 feet long.  

Speed of sound - 1130 ft/sec @ nominal temperature (20C).

1130fps/60Hz = ~19' wavelength.

A 3' wavelength would occur at a frequency of about ~380Hz.

So....what you're saying is...I remembered wrong.  

That's good info.  I had no idea 60 hz was so long.
Grant Craig
Nuovo Music (Me)

Daniel Farris

« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2010, 10:39:32 AM »

So remember... always mic a bass amp or bass drum from at *least* 19 feet away.

DF

bblackwood

« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2010, 11:55:11 AM »

Daniel Farris wrote on Sat, 13 March 2010 09:39

So remember... always mic a bass amp or bass drum from at *least* 19 feet away.

Haha, indeed. Kinda shows those "room is long enough to support X frequency" claims made by some to be incorrect. That and headphones...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Seb Riou

« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2010, 01:03:22 PM »

ha ha, didn't mean to hijack the thread ...
Hello Daniel, I liked your submission (the "second liking"), a nice solid mix, and you kept the original snare didn't you ?

NelsonL

« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2010, 02:43:48 PM »

bblackwood wrote on Sat, 13 March 2010 08:55

That and headphones...

I know, I know... weak sauce. I just don't want to buy anything that won't fit in a suitcase.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 20 queries.