R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: IMP 24 Discussion  (Read 24282 times)

Gio

Re: IMP 24 Discussion
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2010, 08:59:22 AM »

Uhm..... OK! I see we're off to a great start!  Rolling Eyes

Just a friendly disclaimer..... The name of my file is in no way meant to come off as cocky, or imply that I fixed the tracks in any way. The original mix I uploaded had a severe L-R imbalance (or so I thought). Turns out my 4yr old had been playing with the balance control on the computer I use for internet. lol! hence, the file name "gio_fixed".

I hope we get some constructive and useful discussion going here. I'm not too interested in troll feeding.

And thanks to J. for doing this.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.....

<eats popcorn>
Giovanni Fusco

On Staff Here

My Place

Press record. Enjoy!

Reno

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2010, 09:24:38 AM »

H2O2

............................................________
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
.............................,.-”................................... “-.,
.........................,/................................. .............. ”:,
.....................,?..................................... .................\,
.................../........................................ ...................,}
................./.......................................... ............,:`^`..}
.............../............................................ .......,: ”........./
..............?.....__...................................... ...:`.........../
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(..... .;_,,- ”
............/.`~,......`-...............................\... .../\
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,. /.....\,__
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
................................`:,,........................ ...`\..............__
.....................................`=-,................... ,%` >--==``
........................................_\..........._,-%... ....`\
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\

Now I wait for the reviews made by people with ears...

I will do mine the w-e

yoink

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2010, 09:41:04 AM »

When a song is so well tracked it makes it easy[er] to mix. I'm sure I managed to still mess it up in some way or other, but at least the source tracks were great to work with and what a great cover.

In case anyone hasn't looked: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLd-XbPwSN8

I wish I knew this particular band we're mixing (I probably missed that)... I would check out some of their other work.

About the mixing: I tried to give myself a two hour time-limit (and failed) it ended up being a three and a half hour thing. I find lately, if I don't do that I will fiddle and twiddle all day.
"The only intuitive interface is the nipple. After that it's all learned." -Bruce Ediger

bblackwood

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2010, 09:44:24 AM »

h2o2 (aka h2o1) is gone, so let's not give him the satisfaction of further discussion.

Back to IMP24...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Daniel Farris

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2010, 09:56:37 AM »

So, this is the first time I've listened to all the IMP submissions in quite this way, and it's been very revealing.

For those of you with the horsepower to do so, I highly recommend this: I imported all of the mixes into a single PT session, lined them up, turned off solo latch, did a quick level match, and then ran the song in a loop, going down the console and soloing various mixes, without knowing whose mix I was hearing.

Wow. Never mind balance choices; some of the overall tonal differences are staggering. The people who have obvious problems with monitoring/room tuning were instantly obvious.

I'm still listening, so I don't have detailed critiques, but I really love listening to them like this.

DF

j.hall

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2010, 10:06:09 AM »

WOW, that went from some level of comedy, to just bad in one short pre production session for me......

thanks for keeping an eye on this for me Brad, appreciate it!!

i'll start doing reviews today.  looks like i also need to go look at my mix again to answer some questions.

fiasco ( P.M.DuMont )

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2010, 10:24:26 AM »

Daniel Farris wrote on Fri, 12 March 2010 09:56

So, this is the first time I've listened to all the IMP submissions in quite this way, and it's been very revealing.

For those of you with the horsepower to do so, I highly recommend this: I imported all of the mixes into a single PT session, lined them up, turned off solo latch, did a quick level match, and then ran the song in a loop, going down the console and soloing various mixes, without knowing whose mix I was hearing.

Wow. Never mind balance choices; some of the overall tonal differences are staggering. The people who have obvious problems with monitoring/room tuning were instantly obvious.

I'm still listening, so I don't have detailed critiques, but I really love listening to them like this.

DF

I do basically the same thing, except I use Cubase... so it probably sounds different.  Smile

Philip

2pulse

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2010, 10:41:06 AM »

Big variety!  Lots of creative edits, some work some don't.  I'll have to do my reviews in installments, as listening to 30 versions of the same track is quite a test of endurance.  

Once thing I noticed.... NO ONE panned the intro guitar to the right of center.  I was never conciously aware of this convention, but apparently I adhere to it.

Daniel Farris

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2010, 10:50:01 AM »

2pulse wrote on Fri, 12 March 2010 07:41

Once thing I noticed.... NO ONE panned the intro guitar to the right of center.  I was never conciously aware of this convention, but apparently I adhere to it.

I noticed that too.

I frequently pan intro guitars (or whatever) to the right. I just went left this time, for no real reason.

(EDIT: Hang on a minute! Spike went to the right with it.)

DF

DCombs

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2010, 12:50:12 PM »

h2o2 wrote on Fri, 12 March 2010 05:47

Seb Riou wrote on Fri, 12 March 2010 02:59

Oh yeah, one thing I forgot. What really made a difference between the mixes are vocal placement. Some made it really wide and come up front. Since it's an Indie Mixing Project, that kinda surprised. In indy rock I always see (hear) the vocals in the mix, almost behind the snare, and surrounded by a wall of guitars. That's what I tried to do, and yeah I know that's what J.Hall achieved !

Nothing should be surprising here...
there is just a bunch of kids here. Who decided among themself that they are somebody they are not. The worst thing they honestly believe they are professional mixing engineers.
C'mon get to the ground finally...

okay, seriously? dude if you called what you did professional mixing...i'm sorry you've missed your mark. your entire mix was weak, and boring. don't worry it will be duly noted

also, i know this would be an extra step, could we make teams of people who review their own stuff? i feel like it would be a way to allow for people to make critiques, then make fixes then critique again?

the only reason i bring it up is because just posting a single song once isn't learning or helping. it's the process of refining that makes you learn. does anyone else agree?
I'm a certified pants technician.

DCombs

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2010, 12:58:11 PM »

2pulse wrote on Fri, 12 March 2010 09:41

Big variety!  Lots of creative edits, some work some don't.  I'll have to do my reviews in installments, as listening to 30 versions of the same track is quite a test of endurance.  

i think it was due to the track lay out. it allows for alternative panning methods, but it's as if the song already had mix decisions already built into the track layout. and in that sense everyone caught on, and mixed instinctively. the only thing that got paned in my session was the rhythm guitars, toms, and cymbals.

the engineer really did his work when packaging this up.

much kudos.
I'm a certified pants technician.

jonathan jetter

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2010, 02:04:08 PM »

hi all-

i wasn't able to find time to get my mix done-  this would have been my first IMP submission and it would have been a lot of fun to throw my work up there.  unfortunately my schedule got nuts and today would have been the day where i would have had time to do it.

hoping it's kosher for me to comment despite not having submitted-

tracking i thought was pretty solid.  drums were maybe slightly harsh and guitars a bit wooly but nothing complicated to fix.

i downloaded about 10 of the mixes and listened just now.

i don't want to name specific names but several were very thin, excessively hi-passed, and poorly compressed.  several others were very muddy.  i do think it becomes apparent who has accurate monitoring and who doesn't.

i thought DMc's mix was quite good, and along the lines of what i would want to hear out of the track.  i'd have gone for a drier vocal treatment but that's just subjective preference on my end.

super-cool of J. to facilitate this and i'm looking forward to participating in the next one.

mafigi

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2010, 02:43:35 PM »

h2o2 wrote on Fri, 12 March 2010 08:46

Mafigi:
Can be a good mix if not a) Vocal b) Snare.
This is probably a worst snare here. Vocal is behind everything it is even behind backing vocals... Why cymbals are soo close while rest of drums are soo distant?

Hello, thanks for listening and for the advice, the snare is the original track, what you hear is the best I could do with that snare drum, there's nothing to trigger in the drums mix, and the voice I loved so how I did it.

Thanks more.

j.hall

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2010, 03:28:14 PM »

for my reviews i'll only listen to the intro, verse and 1st chorus.  KNOW that when reading.  if you did anything "fancy" past that point, i'll never hear it.

Greg Dixon
good mix.  i feel like the bass is a touch too "round".  vocals are nice.  for my taste, i'd want to hear the drums be more aggressive (not easy with the tracks, i know).  but overall, this is a good mix.

mcsnare
ah, the apprentice critiques the mentor......MUW HA HA HA HA.  well honestly, there isn't much to say.  it's your typical vibey, yet appropriate treatment.  i didn't dig the slap on the guitars until the band kicked in, then i totally got it and loved it.  bass feels a bit forward, but that's nit picking.

caintorst
i get the idea of the verb to give it that "throw-back" feel.  i think the verb is kinda honky.  probably an easy tweak.  bass feels thin and mixed back.  good wall of guitar, and it's balanced well with the vocal.  your top end is a little sizzley for me, but you did a great job balancing it.  

NelsonL
holy lowend batman.  what are they doing to you over there in Dubai?  that bottom end is swallowing your mix alive.  listening around it, there are some really cool things going on here.  that vocal delay is nicely placed.

Will F
the intro felt weird, mainly the kick drum, but once it kicks in it makes more sense.  not sure what that means to you, but whatever.  feels pretty bright to me, but it's balanced so mastering could probably line this out. bass feels forward.  tone is good, maybe just a touch hot.  BGV's are really hot for my taste, but i dig the treatment.  separates them from the lead.

Seb Riou
LOWEND!!!  wonder if you have an acoustics issue.  the bottom is HUGE, top is ducked.  vocal feels quiet and a bit dark.  if you tamed that bottom down you'd probably have something pretty cool.  guitars feel good to me.

Hallamas
pretty good.  that snare samples is not my cup of tea.  the vocal doesn't match the top end of the snare and guitars, whatever that means to you, i always try to match that.  the verb is a bit shimery for my taste as well.  toms feel good, that's often an overlooked detail.

Music Junky
tons of verb, HUGE low end, too huge, though the mix is REALLY bright as well.  this isn't far off.  if you hype up the right things, and tuck back that verb you'd be rockin.

yoons
mix is kinda dark.  cymbals are bright though, so mastering would have a tough time.  bass feels kinda honky to me and vocals are mixed back a bit for my taste.  if you pushed a few key things around this would be solid.  that snare pops a little too hard for me, if that's possible, HA!

yoink
this mix feels good to me.  it's a bit midrangey overall, but mastering might fix that.  the snare sample is not my bag.  doesn't have much impact.  the low end is a bit too big.  guitars could probably stand a level bump, but this mix is "recallable".  good job.

slash5969
this is really dark, lowend is all over the place.  the guitars are really good.  they need more top (whole mix does).  man that kick drum is just shaking my room.  most of this mix feels like EQ issues.

grantis
really WIDE.  wonder how you did that.......(sarcasm)  overall pretty thin.  more verb then i would use, but the verb sounds good at least.  first mix i've heard that has noticeable "lift" in the chorus.  nice!

Adam Miller
man, i always dig your submissions.  this feels like that first bloc party record.  this is more present, and not quite as quirky, but the vibe is there.  this mix might be a touch midrangey, but i dig it.  cool treatment, i was hoping to hear one like this.

Nizzle
guitars are great, nice job.  drums feel a touch hollow to me, bass to.  sounds like a vibe you went for intentionally though. there is something 500-ish overall that's weighing this mix down.  i think it's specifically the bass guitar.  good submission.

page 1 complete.  page 2 will be later.

Scott Featherstone

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2010, 03:49:32 PM »

"(@!$#@!#*^%&) is gone, so let's not give him the satisfaction of further discussion".

THANK YOU Mr. Blackwood.

Loved hearing everyone's mixes !

I have alot to learn from this forum   Very Happy
I Like Kevin Bacon, But I Hate Footloose.

Thank You.

Scott
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 20 queries.