R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: IMP 24 Discussion  (Read 24272 times)

j.hall

IMP 24 Discussion
« on: March 11, 2010, 10:43:54 PM »

this is where we chat about the submissions, offer our humble opinions on others' mixes, and so on.

remember guys, keep the submission thread to submissions ONLY.  makes it much easier to find submissions, and simply listen to mixes.

Podgorny

Re: IMP 24 Discussion
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 11:01:41 PM »

H202's submission is the only one I listened to all the way through.
I smiled the ENTIRE time.  Evidently someone was too busy stirring things up to be bothered with making sure the snare samples were on every hit.

Everybody else - Great job.

"Nobody cares what the impedance is; all they care about is when you can walk into the room, set up a mic, turn the knobs, hit record, and make everybody go 'wow.'"

h2o2

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 12:48:57 AM »

Podgorny wrote on Thu, 11 March 2010 22:01

Everybody else - Great job.

LOL Smile)))
so u mean others have placed samples on every hit?
I agree, maybe we should employ westerners in eastern europe to place samples on every hit after our craft is made.

Gabriel F

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 12:55:26 AM »

I did a half quick mix. I said half because i spend way too much time time trying to make the overheads not nice but at least not a burst of thin withe noise. And trying to make the guitars sound more dense and sparkly. I tried every permutation of plug ins chains and eq curves and failed miserably at both tasks.

I didnt have time to cut the samples and aligning them properly, . Thats not and excuse, but i think i would not have done it if i had the time because my tendinnitis is killing me this week. Mad

Damn, i made the bass too muddy.

h2o2

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 02:46:02 AM »

Ok, what have we got here...
I will concentrate on problems since there will be enough thanksgiving without me...

Greg Dixon:
I hear every single year, uselesly spent on recording to 16 tracks in this mix. Ah thanks god it was just 8 years because 12 years could be much much worse... There could me so many other interesting things to be learned meanwhile...
Mix doesn't have enough definition, snare is bad (what is this pluk pluk?). Vocal too distant. Guitar no attack and mix overally overcompressed.

JHall:
JHall should use only Hall preset in the reverb and never try plate or chamber,(period) NEVER! I don't believe you had just 12 years of experience, this sounded like you have all 20 years or maybe even 30 and you are just about to be retired...
Limiters... oh looks like USA is a country of Limiters...
But limiter is a perfect tool to show just how noisy this mix is..
Isn't that clear that Guitar bite is fighting with vocals?
Guitars are noisome, can you really enjoy that sound? it is so clearly disbalanced and over-presenced what u cannot listen for it more then 1 minute.
Snare transients are destroyed with compressors. Overral lack of punchiness and definition. Too distant and muddy vocal.

Mafigi:
Can be a good mix if not a) Vocal b) Snare.
This is probably a worst snare here. Vocal is behind everything it is even behind backing vocals... Why cymbals are soo close while rest of drums are soo distant?

Nizzle:
Limiters...
Luck of dynamics and guitar attack. A bit unbalancced guitars with too much bite. Overally noisy. Cymbals are too close comparing to snare for example. Vocals are good enough..
Overall luck of punch.

RANKUS:
bad bad bad. over-muddy, flat, no punch.

TELERIC:
Bad snare. Toms are from another universe. noisy. no punch.

grantis:
jhall like guitars. Could be good if vocal wont be that shit..

slash5969:
no punch. muddy lowend.

SRIOU:
same.

ScottFeatherstone:
same.

2pulse:
Too distant, also a bit muddy.

Adam_Miller:
Good drums, i would want a bit more transients on snare (not to drive that hard transient designer, etc) i would put a little more middle frequencies since it is a bit hollow in the middle.

Billybehdaz:
Too distant and muddy. Vocals are good however it is more like a vocals and a mix thing.

DCombs:
jhal like guitars. snare transients are gone...pluck pluck.

DMc:
too much reverb on vocals.

DanDigby:
What are u monitoring on?

Meverylame:
nice warm guitar tone. Drums should have more punch and transients. Abit muddy overally.

Rune:
nice effect on kick. unfortunately after it the mix starts...
pluk pluk snare. Vocals are good however.

The_Straws_RENO:
noisy and no punch but instead is over fatty kick. Looks like just out of McDonalds...

Yoons:
Snare transients... Muddy low end.

gio_fixed:
drums are not fixed however. What is this paper snare?

h2o2:
snare is not replaced on every hit. Ideally there should be two replacing sessions for fast notes and long, I went with just long. bridge before chorus lucks something, there should be some power chords done properly. Could use of some vocal riding and automation.

mkane:
not enough punch. Snare..

revolver9:
McDonalds kick. and muddy base.

southboundloco_mix:
carton snare. Vocal distant.

yoink:
McDonalds kick. too noisy. too much reverb on vocals. Snare no transients.

Fiasco:
it is fiasco...

hallams:
snare is bad. noisy..

iCombs:
u cannot adjust level? snare is destroyed. noisy and muddy.

caintorst:
carton drums, no transients. Too much reverb on vocal.

lluis:
fiasko of sample rate... otherwise could be good, why somebody records 48khz for CD?

Music_Junky:
carton snare. too much cymbals. vocal is distant.

NelsonL:
McDonalds kick. and carton drums. disatant vocal.

b-undo:
snare could use more weight. noisy.

graham:
paper snare. noisy.

Seb Riou

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 03:51:26 AM »

wow ... man you never give up, get a life .

I will ignore this post as it comes from the most unbalanced, unprofessionnal, and worsely un-rock'n'roll  mixes of the lot.

First I'm really grateful to J.Hall and the contributor who gave the tracks, this is priceless for a beginner mixer like me to try and learn with y'all wild bunch. THANKS !

We all agreed, snare and drums in general were a pain in the ass to breathe life into.

Almost everybody (I didn't) replaced the snare, and yeah we have a wide array of sizes and tones Smile

More than the drums, it's the lead vocal that gave me a hard time, It bored me to death ! So I ended up putting this rotary effect that dulled it completely, but I liked this kinda "plastic" !

J.Hall, you succeeded where I failed, vocals sound great and they don't bore me ! Your whole mix is unreal, snare cracks, Kick is huge, space is there, man you rock.. maybe a little hyped ? Rolling Eyes

Guitars sounded great, it was hard to get them bad. But panning was something else ! 3 guitars, three position (L,C,R). Or maybe not ? ha ha, I liked the different options ..

And the reverb, man the verb is so personal ..

A lot of us must tune our room, I hear tonal shifts (in mine too), and some of us master mastering, some better keeping a low level Smile

I had a very good time mixing and listening to all of your works, I will do it again.

Congrats evryone for the work and let's talk !

Seb Riou

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 03:59:29 AM »

Oh yeah, one thing I forgot. What really made a difference between the mixes are vocal placement. Some made it really wide and come up front. Since it's an Indie Mixing Project, that kinda surprised. In indy rock I always see (hear) the vocals in the mix, almost behind the snare, and surrounded by a wall of guitars. That's what I tried to do, and yeah I know that's what J.Hall achieved !

Hallams

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 06:10:43 AM »

Well H2... thanks for the insights, but i think the bottom end in my mix is more of a problem than the snare....on ordinary playback systems i didn't pick it up but when i played my mix back in the studio i think it could be wound back in the low end a bit. One thing for sure, you really are flying blind to some elements in the mix if your monitoring is not up to scratch....

confession time...i did the mix at 44.1 and after i realized, my mix was done, i was out of the studio  so i simply changed the sample rate and bounced the mp3 Embarassed most of the mix translated ok but for the lows....couldn't help but thinking the original recording had the vari speed  wound up a notch.
Chris Hallam.
Melbourne, Australia.

h2o2

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 06:47:53 AM »

Seb Riou wrote on Fri, 12 March 2010 02:59

Oh yeah, one thing I forgot. What really made a difference between the mixes are vocal placement. Some made it really wide and come up front. Since it's an Indie Mixing Project, that kinda surprised. In indy rock I always see (hear) the vocals in the mix, almost behind the snare, and surrounded by a wall of guitars. That's what I tried to do, and yeah I know that's what J.Hall achieved !

Nothing should be surprising here...
there is just a bunch of kids here. Who decided among themself that they are somebody they are not. The worst thing they honestly believe they are professional mixing engineers.
C'mon get to the ground finally...

h2o2

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 06:51:16 AM »

Hallams wrote on Fri, 12 March 2010 05:10

Well H2... thanks for the insights, but i think the bottom end in my mix is more of a problem than the snare....on ordinary playback systems i didn't pick it up but when i played my mix back in the studio i think it could be wound back in the low end a bit. One thing for sure, you really are flying blind to some elements in the mix if your monitoring is not up to scratch....

confession time...i did the mix at 44.1 and after i realized, my mix was done, i was out of the studio  so i simply changed the sample rate and bounced the mp3 Embarassed most of the mix translated ok but for the lows....couldn't help but thinking the original recording had the vari speed  wound up a notch.

I was just very lazy to write duplicate things, since most of the mixes had that problem. Most detailed are the first 5 reviews.

Chris Ilett

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 06:56:00 AM »

Best. Thread. Ever.

johnR

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 08:06:12 AM »

h2o2 wrote on Fri, 12 March 2010 11:47

The worst thing they honestly believe they are professional mixing engineers.

The fact that most of them are paid good money by satisfied customers for their mixes is perhaps what leads them to believe that. How about you?

h2o2

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 08:15:12 AM »

johnR wrote on Fri, 12 March 2010 07:06

h2o2 wrote on Fri, 12 March 2010 11:47

The worst thing they honestly believe they are professional mixing engineers.

The fact that most of them are paid good money by satisfied customers for their mixes is perhaps what leads them to believe that. How about you?

Taking into account variety of customers and variety of ppl out there and especially knowing that loudness war there or even just average customer level of education and understanding i would say thet is a VERY VERY weak argument... and professionalism of mixing engineer does the faaar less difference then professionalism of talking shit and making PR for the customer... also alot of customers are happy with bad records. they just make this as a hobby or to show to the friends, etc.

I won't comment anymore any point about money or ROI because of that is a way too boring... ppl who use that point are small and grey...

fiasco ( P.M.DuMont )

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2010, 08:16:51 AM »

Hey douchebag.
I can't wait till you are banned, so we all can go back to sucking in peace.
Philip

johnR

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 08:36:13 AM »

h2o2 wrote on Fri, 12 March 2010 13:15

Taking into account variety of customers and variety of ppl out there and especially knowing that loudness war there or even just average customer level of education and understanding i would say thet is a VERY VERY weak argument... and professionalism of mixing engineer does the faaar less difference then professionalism of talking shit and making PR for the customer... also alot of customers are happy with bad records. they just make this as a hobby or to show to the friends, etc.

I won't comment anymore any point about money or ROI because of that is a way too boring... ppl who use that point are small and grey...

Have you considered a career in politics? With your obviously well developed ability to evade direct questions you could go far.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 16 queries.