R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: control surface.  (Read 5658 times)

j.hall

control surface.
« on: January 17, 2010, 02:39:30 PM »

i'm kinda starting to long for faders.  i've been poking around the last couple days for what is available.  i know exactly what i want.

the presonus FaderPak is so close to what i'm looking for.

i want to keep my exact setup with my sterling modular desk.  i just want to drop 16 faders into the arm rest.  i don't really want anything else.  pan, mute, solo and fader.  maybe an automation button.

all the stock control surfaces just end up being a giant trackball and keyboard.

this is the look i'm going for:
http://www.sterlingmodular.com/index.cfm?event=showTonelux

but without all the tonelux stuff.  their shadow mix system seems cool, but i'm not really wanting to spend 15k just to have faders.

anyone have any ideas for me?

Podgorny

Re: control surface.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 05:20:53 PM »

j.hall wrote on Sun, 17 January 2010 13:39

Did you mean FaderPort?

In any case, I think the Euphonix offering might be closest to what you describe.
http://www.euphonix.com/artist/products/mc_mix/

"Nobody cares what the impedance is; all they care about is when you can walk into the room, set up a mic, turn the knobs, hit record, and make everybody go 'wow.'"

grantis

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 08:27:04 PM »

Podgorny wrote on Sun, 17 January 2010 16:20

j.hall wrote on Sun, 17 January 2010 13:39

Did you mean FaderPort?

In any case, I think the Euphonix offering might be closest to what you describe.
http://www.euphonix.com/artist/products/mc_mix/

Whoah, that is really cool.  I like the short profile without all the extra junk.
Grant Craig
Nuovo Music (Me)
Skiddco Music (Where I work)
Work History (Well, some of it anyway)

j.hall

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 11:04:30 AM »

yeah, the euphonix looks like a perfect fit.  now i have to convice myself to spend 1k per unit.....

meverylame

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 03:54:44 PM »

Man I hate to rain on the parade, but I've got through this same debate ALOT and I just haven't found a HUI based device that REALLY works well enough to keep in my rig. I tried the euphonix stuff and just found that resolution was pretty off and took a good bit of configuration to get it usable, in particular once I started trying to get any form plugin control. Not mention, I really started getting frustrated when I was writing automation as I typically was having to still go in and fix automation via mouse. The best solution I've found is putting a command 8 on one of these donkeys http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_MIX4 00%20Mixer%20Stand_-1_10052_10002_-49953342?cm_mmc=Froogle-_ -Mixer%20Stands-_-MIX400%20Mixer%20Stand-_-OMIX400XX and  treating it like a tape machine remote.
Cheers!
Jason Kingsland

http://www.jasonruinsrecords.com

Sean Eldon Qualls

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 03:00:32 PM »

DISCLAIMER: My shop pimps the Euphonix "Artist" controllers (though we certainly don't make any money on them, hah). On the other hand, we also run a studio here that uses one MC Mix, one MC Control, and one Transport.

The system is very, very cool. We have ethernet tielines in every room that hit our router, and can roll the machine from anywhere in the building and have even built "mini control rooms" around the shop for recording when someone else is mixing in the main CR.

We started with the MC Control, which was probably the best way to go. This unit makes it MUCH EASIER to control all functions of the software via the touch screen, whereas the 8-fader unit is really just faders. You can do plugin controls on the MC Mix as well but it's kind of a pain in the neck to get anything on the inserts. We added the MC Mix when we started mixing in the computer more and didn't want to bank around as much. Then we added the Transport for the sole purpose of being able to run the deck from anywhere in the building or to simply have a transport and jog wheel if we've got the MC Control somewhere else in the shop.

They're small, light, and can get out of the way in a hurry if you need it to.

Only pain is the line-lump PSU's. We deal. Whatever.

These surfaces are 100% adaptive to the software you have at attention and the whole thing is 100% customizable. If you don't like how it maps anything out, you can change it in the EuCon software.

Note that with Pro Tools, it will convert the EuCon to HUI as Pro Tools does not talk to EuCon. It's pretty much the only DAW that won't open up to the platform. It still works very well with Pro Tools, better than a Mackie control or similar, you just don't get the full resolution that ethernet/EuCon offers.
Sean Eldon
Gainfully unemployed / Back to freelancing

"Gearslutz -- Where the uneducated go to fight it out with the misinformed" - Dave Hecht

j.hall

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 10:54:20 AM »

Sean Eldon Qualls wrote on Tue, 02 February 2010 14:00

you just don't get the full resolution that ethernet/EuCon offers.

by resolution, do you mean fader movement?

KB_S1

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 01:28:35 PM »

j.hall wrote on Wed, 03 February 2010 15:54

MIDI will be 128 values per fader, EuCon is 1024.
<a href="http://www.parklanerecordingstudios.com/" class="link3">Park Lane Studio</a> Where to find me most of the time<br /><br />

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/kb_s1/" class="link3">Flickr</a>where to see what I have been up to  <br /><br />

Nick Sevilla

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 01:50:55 PM »

KB_S1 wrote on Wed, 03 February 2010 10:28

j.hall wrote on Wed, 03 February 2010 15:54

MIDI will be 128 values per fader, EuCon is 1024.

I have both the Control and a Mix controllers.

I can change in PT HD levels by 0.1 dB, the smallest increment / decrement available in PT HD. It uses the HUI protocol, but I think it (the HUI protocol) allows for the full 1024 step resolution for the faders.

So, my guess is that the faders do give the full 1024 step resolution, otherwise this would not be possible.

Cheers
-------------------------------------------------
It is quite possible, captain, that they find us grotesque and ugly and many people fear beings different from themselves.

www.nicksevilla.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 20 queries.