R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: WUMP20 - Comments  (Read 8437 times)

ATOR

WUMP20 - Comments
« on: March 02, 2010, 10:51:41 AM »

Your expert opinion goes here  Cool
Pieter Vincenten - ATORmastering

KAyo

Re: WUMP20 - Comments
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 05:41:06 PM »

Damn!! I just got back from a weekend break.
I had finished the master on the 26th, but, since we weren't allowed to upload it, I had to wait until I got back, thus..the delay.

Will do it, sometime today.
Thanks.

KAyo
http://www.Kantabiz.com
Business Video Directory

fuse

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 09:12:42 PM »

Finished 24th but I was too late and uploaded it today.
Wouter Veltmaat
Eindhoven

djwaudio

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 11:22:11 PM »

I posted early yesterday, but pulled it and reposted (double dithered in the SADiE bounce window).

The correct version is titled WUMP20 Dana White01.WAV

Thanks for pulling the correct version.

I look forward to listening to all of these versions.  The track was fun to work on!

Respectfully submitted,
Dana

Dana J. White
specializedmastering.com

Tim Boyce

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 08:03:02 PM »

yup ... mine was late too .. got it uploaded afternoon. (although done for a week)

I gave a quick listen to everything, and was surprised by some of what I heard .. (including one track that apparently didn't get a load-back check) . . render volume issues  

KAyo

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 09:14:40 PM »

Yup.. I shall do the listening tests, shortly.
Watch this space...

KAyo
Business Video Directory

Tubefreak

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 06:01:51 PM »

Again some very good material. Here's a very quick run through some observations (on headphones!). I won't be in the studio for a week, so I'll also post my settings.

- 4 persons didn't faded the noise at the end
- most people removed the DC offset
- ChrisDoremus track sounded like it had a delayed signal (tell me that's not a chorus?!)
- Patrick T had a very clubby sound, which was too much for me
- ggidluck was too nasal for me
- found Dana White's version too sharp&loud

Fuse -> I think something went wrong. The sound was good, but you didn't fade the beginning/end, there's an obvious hum and large DC offset. Maybe you were in too much of a hurry, cause I know your quality is normally very good. (ps just found out we live aprox 500 meters apart!) Smile

Can't say which one I like best, def need the big speakers and sub for good judgement. Personally I found the highs on the original track too sharp. Some addressed this, others didn't, just a matter of taste and reference I guess.

Kojaks 'you can't stop it' was used as reference by me, it works great in the clubs, stereo and radio. I did some extra versions and..... didn't backup the settings properly for the version I uploaded. Embarassed

It as something like:
Voxengo MSED
with aprox 0.5 boost on side

DDMF LP10 stereo EQ in MS mode (all highs with phase = 1)
MONOSIDE
cut around 20 Hz
boost around 44 Hz for sub movement
broad boost around 559 kHz to fill the sound
dip around 4k3 Hz to reduce harshness
slight shelve at 11k for air
STEREOSIDE
wide boost around 630 to fill the sound
cut around 5k2 to reduce harshness
shelve around 7k

Kjearhus GCO-1 compressor
don't remember exactly, aprox 3dB of compression, high pass filter, attack around 50ms or so, release bit faster. Ratio around 3:1.

UAD Precision Multiband
This was just used as an EQ to boost between 0-79Hz and 79-140Hz to add some weight for the club.

Kjearhus MPL-1 limiter
choose this one over Voxengo Elephant and UAD, it suited the highs better imo. Just a few dBs of limiting, -0.1 output.

Can't wait to hear the songs in the studio.
Maarten

KAyo

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 09:51:19 AM »

Hi all,

The listening was completed with levels matched. Speakers and headphones were used.
I thank the team for our combined endeavours.

As usual we thank ATOR for all his Admin work, and Brad for hosting.
I must confess; this was a bemusing and mystifying WUMP20. More on that, as follows…..

MikeyC
To boot, it felt overly loud, fatigued and somewhat shredded at the periphery! Tone is inclined towards high mids and considerably edgy. A slightly calmer take on this would have been preferred, even if the given EQ were used.

Dana White
Approach felt is, heavy compression... A little overly thumpy!, and feels tilted towards the brighter mid side. Thump is heal-able, EQ needs a stern revision.

patrik_t
Instant darkness and cloud felt. Clarity is diminished and articulated definitions gone astray. The EQ needs to cleanse more here. A desire to see through the fog is felt.

TCB_Master
Initial impact overtly blasted! A sense of only RMS is felt, blinding all other attributes. Nonetheless, it was still in tack and popping well. Personally, I anticipated greater EQ work, providing much desired softness.. that’s all.

ATOR
Quite welcoming on first glance. Strong tonally and sturdy too. Analogue felt! On closer listening, it feels as though many extremes were combined to output; though appealing, still fatiguing and eludes that clean crispness or sprite, I yearn to listen out for. Could be a go, if teething remedies were to be administered, especially in areas of EQ.

ChrisDoremus
What happened there?! Something quite intrusive is claiming the master’s sound. Exciting masters in augmented ways is understandable approach, but, the processes need to be monitored more diligently. A chronic bout of doubling going on here. Please, revisit entire approach.

fuse
Apart from a high mid tonality sharpness, and the bass having moved into another or a non-exciting range, it felt quite good!! I still think, it’s edgy… because it’s been smashed ever so slightly. Smooth out that EQ,, and it would do it wonders.

ggidluck
On listening and comparing, It felt, boxy tonality and definitions undeveloped, lopsided on the mid and high mids plateaus, Contorts a nasal shelf. Flatten out that EQ, and start again...

LudwigM
Unfortunately, another of the masters aimed too high on RMS threshold. It suffers similar extremes as some others. High mid sided EQ, and slightly emaciated in the low mids. Fatiguing and sharp too. RMS was evident, but the frequencies that paid for it are coming home to roost!

BiigNiick
Harsh Galore! It could be your monitoring too. Thinned out, but turned much too harsh and bashing the door down. Calmer approach if possible. Tonally, recoil the highs.

Tubefreak   ::Updated:::
Atleast it started of soft on the ears. In spirit, it’s kept true to the original, except stout and on the verge of obese! I sense broad strokes and minor overly done mids to low mid expressions. The thump feels stretched all across. A dissection would compliment this warm fuzzy approach. In many ways you’ve caressed the ears with heat and warmth, however, let the sculpting begin and get that final frequency layout stage locked in. Triumph, awaits! A slither less RMS, would have allowed me to stand back and look at it better too. Nonetheless, a valuable attempt to work it soft on the ears.

Too many masters adorned only high RMS and harsh upper octave EQ work to reach that hotness, and thus felt quite unpleasing to listen too, especially when compared to some wonderfully mastered Dance or Euro Dance tracks etc...At times it felt like, not many were used to dance mastering at all! I would much prefer to have listened to cleaner, calmer and smoother EQ work, combined with a brave RMS, … rather than purely massive RMS outputs. A combination of high RMS seeking evoked via the high-mids has destroyed many masters this time round. Some felt like their compressors had maxed out and showed themselves up as some very fatiguing masters. From my point of view only, I am afraid; this was an eye opener and a wake up call to the group, to dig deeper. I felt power, but not much class in the acts.

The important thing is, I am glad we all tried and may learn a thing or two here...

Ciao,
KAyo

Business Video Directory

Slip

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 10:10:30 AM »

Hi guys,

I'm really sorry I missed this one.. again! I was unfortunately hit by a nasty case of the flu or something, not sure exactly what but I've been bedridden for a whole week now. This is the first day I feel strong enough to actually write a coherent post on a messaging board (thought I could ride it out without medication but yesterday I gave up. What do ya know? Those damn pills work! Smile ).

Anyhow, my question is: Should I still upload my version I did a few weeks ago or would you guys prefer if I stay completely out of this now that I'm completely off? Can I still offer you guys my opinion on your masters (I've got work tomorrow in the studio but tuesday is free for listening), would that be of any help for this thread?

Cheers and sorry guys!
Slip
Niklas Silen @ Good Will Studios, Helsinki, Finland

ATOR

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 01:15:01 PM »

Hey Slip, just upload that master man. The wump exercise will do you good to gently get back on your horse   Laughing

I've planned my listening for tomorrow.

djwaudio

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 02:59:56 PM »

Hi Everyone,

I did some listening on my mains, B&W 802Ds, and smaller speakers which include Event BAS 20/20s, and a B&W Zeppelin Mini.  

I did not adjust gain at all. To me, the overall levels and how the master drives speakers is an aspect of the mastering process. Also, an additional gain stage is going to alter the timbres. The levels are all in the ballpark anyway.

Here are my *very subjective* impressions after a few listens:

Big Nick
Good punch, nice warmth and imaging, with a reasonable level. It played well on all systems, even spectrum, nice fullness, though a little flat w/ compression.  Well done. Listenable and grooves.

TCB
Nice depth, a  bit crunchy in the vocal & wah guitar frequencies, which gets fatiguing. Low end gets distracting, missing dynamics in bass/kick, brightness feels a bit broad. Maybe, narrower Q's would help.

Patrick
Boom Box!  Interesting pumping quality. The bass feels more reggae. The compression haters are probably going to dis this entry, but I like that it's different. I'm groovin', it's gripping and I didn't have to turn it off after 30 seconds. On bigger systems, the low-end is distracting after a while, but plays well on smaller speakers.  Interesting peak level set to -.33dBFS. Cool entry.

Mickey C
Nice bass/kick relationship, nice emphasis on the upper spectrum, plays well on smaller speakers. It looses focus on mains, could be smoother & more engaging. Not coherent enough in the upper mids, a little stiff.

Ludwig
Good power, upper mids a little congested, breakdown a little flat.  The groove feels eaten up by processing at times. I prefer more integration and smoothness in the sound spectrum. The percussivness & distortion coupled with the heavy limiting is working against the feel at times.  I like this entry in a lot of ways, but there are some things holding it back for me. Check noise blast in the intro, top and tails, etc.  Mastering is much more than EQ!

Ggidluck
I like the lighter low end, decent separation of kick & bass, though the dynamics feel unfocused and lacking in coherency. It feels like the processing is overcoming the continuity of the sound. Too much compression for me.  I might get up and dance though.

Fuse
Sounds good, but not engaging. The dynamics and feel off... slow? I want less focus on the low end and more of the other instruments in the mix. More cohesiveness through the spectrum and smoother presentation would be nice. Get focused on the feel and groove.

Chris Doremus
The dynamic feels well controlled & punchy, decent level and balance. Keep working on kick/bass relationship.  I'd like more separation in frequencies & more excitement.  I feel tension listening to this, especially on the smaller systems. The snare can be biting.  Upper mids could use softening. More easy on the ears please.

ATOR
Good feel in the intro, voice gets strident, and groove suffers when all the elements come in. The imaging gets a little confusing. It translated well to small speakers and mains. Crisp mids., good level, but the limiter is swallowing the kick more than I like.  Nice depth and the breakdown sounds lively. More overall coherency please. Back off a little on the processing and you're home.
I'm bopin'.

DW
The most different, distinct? Good articulation and coherence. It lost bass compared with other entries, but I'm groovin'. Crisp and focused, yet wide.  Lighter in the low-end, but pops.  Gritty.  Tamborine sounds bright on smaller speakers.

AlvoryUK
Beat driven, cool bass. I can hear a bit of over-modulation. Mids a little vague and flat. Give me more smoothness and clear out some congerstion. A little less compression to loosen it up. Overall, a nice entry.

Tube Freak
Thunder & throb on the mains.  Interesting deep sub bass going on, but still translated well to smaller speakers. Snare snaps, stereo image slightly smeared, a little "slow" sounding. The imaging/width feels a little unstable. More coherent please. Nice sonics & timbre overall. I go from liking it, to not, depending on the section. As the mix gets more dense, this master gets more harsh. As the arrangement thins out, it feels great. Pretty close TF.

Thanks guys!
Respectfully submitted,
Dana

Dana J. White
specializedmastering.com

ATOR

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 09:11:06 AM »

My comments:

AIvory
It lacks mids. The bass guitar is very prominent now. I like the punch.

ChrisDoremus
It's light on bass and punch. As if you've used parallel compression that was out of phase or maybe it's the stereo widening.

Dana White
Highs are a bit much. Your choice of attack/release settings has made the song feel slower in tempo than the mix.

GGidluck
Very mid heavy. Tophigh is a little too much. You've brought up the percussion and brought down the kick/snare.

LudwigM
Kick is flabby, the low end is dragging. Could use more high end.

MikeyC
Sounds great. Close to the mix but fuller. Good groove. Maybe you could temper the high end a little.

Patrick T
Very heavy, very compressed bass that's overwhelming the track.

Tubefreak
Low end is too big. The kick is lagging, it was like that in the mix but now it has become very obvious. I like the fat low mids.

BiigNick
Sounds goods. Good energy, good groove. Highs are a bit much.

Master Tri
The bigger low mids mask the percussion. The kick is dragging a little. A bit dark.

Fuse
The kick is dragging here. Otherwise good sound.

Kayo
Not a fan of the pumping, it kills the groove. Sound is very woolly.

djwaudio

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 03:43:12 PM »

Any more listeners ready to report?
Respectfully submitted,
Dana

Dana J. White
specializedmastering.com

MC

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 10:31:53 AM »

My comment are coming shortly. I was out of town but will give a listen today. Thanks everyone.

Patrik T

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2010, 09:12:47 PM »

Will drop my comments later today.

The thing I appreciate with a good old WUMP is that one can check that intentional translation indeed does translate. So far I've received exactly the comments I wanted to hear!

Life is lovely!

Regards
Patrik

Patrik T

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2010, 12:57:13 PM »

In no particular order I pronounce what might or might not distract me:

Tubefreak - The low end feels hollow. Subsonic kick and midsonic bass.

AivoryUK - United but somewhat shy and locked-in.

DanaW - Very papery tone with those high mids. This is in a pretty boring area of harsh-land.

TCB - Good entry but with some obvious distortion in the mids.

ATOR - Following TCB this feels more locked-in.

ChrisDomerus - Please don't tell us this is K-stereo. Sounds like the track in no club, but rather a bathroom.

Fuse - Good balance but something annoys my ear in the mids here. Something pulling.

Ggidluck - Balance feels Har-Balled. Boring mechanical tone.

Kayo -  Good entry with a nice analog touch. Some distortion traces around the guitar loop in the mid break.

Ludwig - Loud with a boring papery harshness.

MikeyC - Easy on the ear and overall a great entry.

Bignick - More beef. Good balance but onto the harsh-sharp side.

Overall I'm surprised to hear the amount of harshness in the entries. This is obviously a track that needs to work when played out loud.

I aimed my entry towards a dancefloor-situation where people would not commit suicide if the DJ threw this tune on. There are reasons for my chosen balance.

Best Regards
Patrik

chrisdoremus

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2010, 01:48:57 AM »

Patrik T wrote on Thu, 11 March 2010 11:57

ChrisDoremus - Please tell us this is K-stereo. Seems like the track would sound huge in a club, definitely not like a bathroom.

2 db of K-stereo, wide and deep but gobs of k-peaking.... I was playing too much I guess. Any of you mind mentioning if you master dance music primarily? It would help me understand more about mastering dance and give me sort of a reference.

MC

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2010, 11:07:24 AM »

Good day all-

Overall great work by everyone.Especially whoever mixed the track I thought it sounded great.It was interesting to see different interpretations of a dance track- low end  vs high end balance

All RMS levels were quite high which I believe is realistic in today's world.

my comments in no particular order

bignick- feels pretty good. Snare feels thin.levels strong

Ludwig-Strong low end.pretty smackin' snare

Kayo-litte muddy

ggidluck-balance good. lacking rms, client would say: "sounds good, can you make it louder?"

fuse-little muddy. lacking punch.

ATOR-bumpin low end. snare punchy but not thin.Pretty hot which the client would enjoy. smooth too.

TCB-feels pretty good. hot, not to bright. maybe a touch of clarity may help. snare focused

Patrik T-good levels without smashing it. Low end focus as he mentioned

Tubefreak-good. could also you some overall clarity

Dana White-feels nice. bright.snare cutting through well

Chris Doremus- Well I'm a big fan of K stereo. But it only needs to stay at 0 usually. I don't have one only demoed. But I want it.
Kind of hard to judge knowing before hand. But it does have some space in the mix which some others lacked due to pumping it up.

MikeyC-thanks all for positive comments.After listening back, mine is a hair bright. I did this last minute.I'm always just roughing the 1st version, the 2nd touch up is usually where I realize these things.

DJWaudio (not sure i see your mastered file?) mentioned mine is loosing focus on the mains which is interesting. I'm suspecting it has to do with me loosening up attack times. interesting.

Great exercise!  In the future maybe we consider a 2/3 song master where the art in making an album can be included in the comments. If I missed commenting on anyone please inform me.

Patrik T

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2010, 11:21:59 AM »

chrisdoremus wrote on Fri, 12 March 2010 07:48

2 db of K-stereo, wide and deep but gobs of k-peaking.... I was playing too much I guess. Any of you mind mentioning if you master dance music primarily? It would help me understand more about mastering dance and give me sort of a reference.

There was a certain reason for me to write "Please don't tell us this is K-stereo". I am pretty shocked to hear the amount of mess-up and deviation from the mix just because of this effect.

Regards
Patrik

MC

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2010, 12:03:44 PM »

from my limited experience with K Stereo, it can really help poor recording gets some life. On the other hand, good recording don't seem to benefit, possibly even have a negative result.
I just want it for the poor recordings!

aivoryuk

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2010, 02:31:42 PM »

Here are my comments

ChrisDoremus - Spatially it's not right but dynamically it's ok

Kayo - Tonally it is prob my favourite but it's a bit pumpy in places

Fuse - ok but a bit of a phasey top end

Mikey C - not a bad effort leaning towards a bit harsh in the mids

Tubefreak - although bottom is too much the rest tonally sits nice although a touch to much compression for my taste

Ludwig - nice punch but is a bit harsh and bright for me

PatrickT - That club sound a bit much for me but is definately a ot more listenable then some of the entries.

Ator - Sounds like the mid channel has been EQ'd too much so its lost some space and sounds a bit unnatural. dynamically it's flat but tonally I don't mind it.

TCB - A bit light in the lower mids has lost some of the the upper bass. Dynamics are fine.

Dana White _ this is very harsh and makes me want to turn it off.

BIG Nick - Dynamics are very good but has lost some of the upper bass groove and is a bit bright.

I think in general I found most to be very harsh and fatiguing to listen to - this is meant to me dance and not rock. Of all the references I listened to, none were as bright or harsh as some of the entries here

Tubefreak

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2010, 04:15:13 PM »

aivoryuk wrote on Sun, 14 March 2010 19:31

I think in general I found most to be very harsh and fatiguing to listen to - this is meant to me dance and not rock. Of all the references I listened to, none were as bright or harsh as some of the entries here

Makes me wonder too, which references did you guys use?

I know I added too much bass on forehand, but hey it's a WUMP not a paying client Very Happy But my reference track is something I've heard lots of times in many different clubs and *know* that it works on most PA's and dancefloors.

For this type of music, the original track was too bass light compared to other stuff that rocks the floor. Although all good DJs work with a track to sit it in the mix of the evening, I found most WUMP entries too loud and harsh.

I've worked as a booking agent for dance/techno/electro artists and spend a lot of time with them. All good artists/DJs prefer punchy songs, because they blast out of the PA. Totally slammed/flat tracks just don't rock that hard on the floor. Bob Orbans article on radio compression applies to this as well.

Do you guys have other experiences, regarding dance floor material?

Kind regards,
Maarten

aivoryuk

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2010, 04:38:17 PM »

Tubefreak wrote on Sun, 14 March 2010 20:15

I know I added too much bass on forehand, but hey it's a WUMP not a paying client Very Happy But my reference track is something I've heard lots of times in many different clubs and *know* that it works on most PA's and dancefloors.

For this type of music, the original track was too bass light compared to other stuff that rocks the floor. Although all good DJs work with a track to sit it in the mix of the evening, I found most WUMP entries too loud and harsh.

I've worked as a booking agent for dance/techno/electro artists and spend a lot of time with them. All good artists/DJs prefer punchy songs, because they blast out of the PA. Totally slammed/flat tracks just don't rock that hard on the floor. Bob Orbans article on radio compression applies to this as well.

Do you guys have other experiences, regarding dance floor material?

Kind regards,
Maarten

For this piece I just picked out one of my old Hed Kandi CD's whcih I suppose is a bit more mellow than this track but again I don't know many dance tracks that went as harsh as some of the entries.

I felt the main challenge for this piece was the snare which I just found very distracting.

Regarding my experience I have done quite a few masters for Dance labels which of course does not make me an expert but I would certainley agree that slammed tracks do not cut it but at the same time having track that is too quiet can result in a DJ not wanting to play the track in a club.

Patrik T

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2010, 08:08:23 PM »

Tubefreak wrote on Sun, 14 March 2010 21:15

No reference at all other than sounds from the "mental archive".

I found the track to target its own good very rapidly when applying small varieties of processing, so it was more a matter of altering the tonality while being highly aware that it was not completely optimal for the mix.

I found the source to be pretty non-swinging.

Regards!
Patrik

ATOR

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2010, 08:21:42 PM »

Tubefreak wrote on Sun, 14 March 2010 21:15

I know I added too much bass on forehand, but hey it's a WUMP not a paying client Very Happy But my reference track is something I've heard lots of times in many different clubs and *know* that it works on most PA's and dance floors.

My experience is that if you make the bass too big the low end in the club will turn to one big mmmoooommmmooooommmmmoooommm for lack of a better word  Very Happy

Most subs in clubs are pretty hyped, no need to push the low end excessively in the master.

Could you tell what ref you've used?

ggidluck

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2010, 10:33:34 PM »

Had fun. Thanks for taking time to listen and comment on mine. Here are my comments.

I listened on earbuds, loudspeakers and burned the entries to cd and listened in my car too for a somewhat 'radio' perspective.

All in all radio vs club sound I think you have to reach some compromise in the low end. Interestingly, the entries judged as being too bright sounded quite good in the car with the eq set flat. (I don't usually listen with hyped eq). Dana White entry and Biig Niick's did sound quite good in that context. Most entries sounded quite good in the car, though the small speakers with no sub sounded a bit clouded in the lows. Still the high-end came through and added detail.

I am working with some older studio monitors and hope to replace them soon. Perhaps this is why I tend to want things brighter. So with that in mind read on.

TubeFreak: This one works the sub a bit more than the average and becomes more evident as I bring up the level. A bit much on the lows to make it very listenable at louder levels. It has the kind of beat that you can feel though!

Aivoryuk: Lots of lows there. Plenty of snare, but would like to hear more hi-hat. Perhaps the upper mids and highs are being masked a bit. Maybe a gentle boost of the highs to bring out the hi-hat and tambourine a bit. Overall very good.

Dana White: Everything in good balance. Bass, Kick. HF is bordering on too much, but that is just opinion. I like this one a lot. More HF than others but it gives more definition to balance the lows. Ears seem to adjust to it and it makes the track more interesting. It works for me. My guess is that it's not too harsh on the 802D's (?)

Patrik_t: Lots of bass that you can feel. The highs come through nicely too. Something in me wants to hear everything in between. Lacks required brightness at low levels. Agreed that it is suitable for the dance floor which is the intended target.

TCB_Master_tri: Good balance. I can hear everything clearly. Not overly bright. A great entry.

ATOR: Another good one. Bass line comes through well. High hat, and tambourine can be hear well too. Has a bit more midrange quality to it. Sounds good at moderate levels.

ChrisDoremus: A bit more low end, plenty of kick. Hi-hat good.

Fuse: Good on the lows. Retained dynamics well. Good bass.

Kayo: A lot of low end, but it has highs coming through nicely. Guitar good. Sounds great overall.

LudwigM: Reasonably good balance. Has a bit more midrange. But the upper highs are rolled off a bit too much for me.

MikeyC: Overall quite good. Bass can be heard just enough. Lots of Hi-hat coming through. Good kick. Tambourine is audible.

Biig Niick: I like this one. Can hear the vocals better too it seems. Lows filtered nicely. I would like to see the notes on how the low end was eq'd. Hi-hat comes through nicely. I think it fits. Sounds great at lower levels too.
Gordon Gidluck
http://live2496.com

Tubefreak

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2010, 07:03:31 AM »

Hi Paul,

'You can't stop it' by Kojak from the album ' Crime in the city' was used as reference by me. It works great in the clubs, stereo and radio. Clearly the original mix of Kojak is of a different quality level then WUMP20. Which was not bad, but lacked a big punchy and exciting low & low-mids. It was a bit brave. Also the snare was kinda off, imo.

Maarten

fuse

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2010, 03:10:08 PM »

Overall TCB came out on top for me. That most likely will be used as a club mix I believe.
Wouter Veltmaat
Eindhoven

ATOR

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2010, 07:16:03 PM »

Tubefreak wrote on Mon, 15 March 2010 12:03

Hi Paul,

'You can't stop it' by Kojak from the album ' Crime in the city' was used as reference by me. It works great in the clubs, stereo and radio. Clearly the original mix of Kojak is of a different quality level then WUMP20. Which was not bad, but lacked a big punchy and exciting low & low-mids. It was a bit brave. Also the snare was kinda off, imo.

Maarten

I don't think we have a Paul here  Cool

I listened to the Kojak track (on Youtube  Very Happy ) and noticed that the 'zwaartepunt' of the low end lies around 100Hz. You have a lot of deep sublow in your track that I think could get messy in a club. That's the reason a 909 is king of the dance kicks, not a lot of sub but it hits hard where it counts.

I do feel why you tried to enhance the low end, there's nothing going on there but the kick. A deeper bass(guitar) would be nice.

What made this master tricky is that there are a lot of things going on in the mids and higher mids and almost nothing in the low end and lowmids. It's hard to compensate for arrangement faults in mastering.

biigniick

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2010, 11:55:32 AM »

hi guys,
sorry i haven't gotten back sooner. . .
i think this is a great exercise, especially for me.  i don't to much dance music at all, so it was a chance to broaden my horizons.  i really appreciate everyone's comments (positive and negative).  So, i guess i can start with comments.  Just my first impressions listening in my room and some other comments listening in the boss's room on the dunlavy's.

ATOR - very nice.  i think this is my favorite of the ones available for download on the day i downloaded.  the high end is really smooth.  i would have liked to see a little more smoothness in the midrange, especially the 1k-2k range where the vocal is.  also, i think the low end may be a little big and i realize i probably should have put a touch more low end in my version.  the end wasn't trimmed either. . .
Tubefreak-Mastering - nice, a little big on the low end
aivoryuk - seems a little dull and lacking some punch and clarity
dana white - good.
ChrisDoremus - lacking some punch and mid-range clarity.
ggidluck - overall quiet.  a little mid rangy. . .  end was left really long
LudwigM - a lot of low end.  end was left really long
MikeyC - ok   
patrik_t - huge low end

My Chain:
Flux ePure II:  -2@60Q30  -2@290Q45  -1@1.8kQ30
Lucid 2496 DA:
Avalon 2055:  -3@100Qshelf  -1@220Qleft  -2@2kQup  +1@25kQshelf
GML 8200:  [bypass]
Manley Vari-Mu:  about 1dB of GR med attack and slow release
Apogee PSX-100 AD:
Waves L2 Hardware:  +3dB
Dither:  Sample Manager dither to 16bit with MBIT+

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 19 queries.