R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Music sales  (Read 1455 times)

Sonovo

Music sales
« on: February 26, 2010, 12:36:57 PM »

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2010/0 2/music-bi-back-to-playing-the-blues.html

Comments? Thoughts?

Thor

Thomas W. Bethel

Re: Music sales
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 08:07:04 PM »

One of the big problems is that a lot of music being produced today is, to my ears, unlistenable because it is so distorted and clipped.

More and more people are listening to the older music from the 60's, 70's and 80's which they already have on CDs and they simply don't need to re purchase it.

You also have people "sharing" music either by making copies of CDs for friends or downloading "free" music from the internet. A lot of tech savvy students are using various methods to clone their music on their IPODs and sharing it with friends. One student I talked to recently told me that she has not purchased any music since she started college since their is so much "free" music available on campus.

Maybe the new/old way of selling/distributing music is so obsolete it should be abandoned altogether.

<The quest for louder and louder music is simply not working and my three interns all of whom are in their 20's are listening to older material. They are doing a lot of their listening via a turntable and finding enjoyment doing it the "old fashion way" including listening to whole sides of an album. FWIW>

I am not sure where this is all going but unless someone in the music business steps up to the plate and starts making changes in the way things are done the music business, as we knew it, may soon be a thing of the past.

-TOM-

Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
Room With a View Productions
http://www.acoustikmusik.com/

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.