R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Refelective fronts on absorbers  (Read 9808 times)

audiowonderland

Refelective fronts on absorbers
« on: February 25, 2010, 04:59:50 PM »

I have built a number of traps out of 1x6 and R19 insulation for my 9x11 room with cinder block walls and concrete floor. I used nails to space the frames away from the wall about an inc.h They have certainly helped but the room is dry dry dry.

I would like to ad something reflective to the face of a few of them to put a little life back in the room. Would a thin plexi glass be to thick for it to still be an effective bass trap? Any other ideas on materials to accomplish this? I have attached a pic to let you see the absorbers in questio

Podgorny

Re: Refelective fronts on absorbers
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 05:22:39 PM »

Hey Bill,

I know this isn't necessarily answering your question, but I just felt like adding my two cents.

9x11 is a large booth or a small room.  Personally, in a room that size, I'd probably go for full absorption - Even more than what you picture, with some thoughtfully placed wood strips to liven it.

But that's just me.  I tend to prefer the sound of wood to concrete or sheetrock.
"Nobody cares what the impedance is; all they care about is when you can walk into the room, set up a mic, turn the knobs, hit record, and make everybody go 'wow.'"

audiowonderland

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 05:36:25 PM »

Podgorny wrote on Thu, 25 February 2010 16:22

Hey Bill,

I know this isn't necessarily answering your question, but I just felt like adding my two cents.

9x11 is a large booth or a small room.  Personally, in a room that size, I'd probably go for full absorption - Even more than what you picture, with some thoughtfully placed wood strips to liven it.

But that's just me.  I tend to prefer the sound of wood to concrete or sheetrock.

Thanks for the advice Kyle. I have MANY more absorbers than what is pictured. 50-60 percent of the total wall surface is covered with those home built absorbers. The ceiling has more R19 packed in the rafters behind the tile.

I have had reasonable results in there but I find myself adding a bit of top to most things and the room is very dry. I am hoping to add a touch of reverb back into the room and maybe brighten it a little. I realize that a room that small will have its limits but I do want to maximize what I have to work with.

I had not considered placing some wood strips on them. Properly spaced it should not impact LF absorption but would add a little life back I bet. Any advice on ratios of wood to opening?

Bogic Petrovic

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 10:30:25 PM »

audiowonderland wrote on Thu, 25 February 2010 23:36

I had not considered placing some wood strips on them. Properly spaced it should not impact LF absorption but would add a little life back I bet. Any advice on ratios of wood to opening?

try to form a binary diffuser with wooden strips instead.

With MLS (Maximum Length Sequence, a pseudo-random binary sequence) there are about 50% opening ratio , you will add more life in your room but with lightly diffused reflections, without great impact on precious LF absorption.
Only drawback is that they looks like "mistake"...  Very Happy

You can see some examples below:

Walls/Ceiling:

index.php/fa/15980/0/

Hope this (still) helps someone Wink

DanDan

Simple Numbers
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 04:13:26 PM »

From Newell's Recording Studio Design, Second Edition,  page 112.
Scale it up x 10mm and it becomes quite practical. About 50% open.

DD

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 19 queries.