R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: I got this in my email this morning. Has anyone heard of them?  (Read 6581 times)

Thomas W. Bethel

I got this in my email this morning. Has anyone heard of them?
« on: February 19, 2010, 06:11:39 AM »

Mastering Info

Our custom Audio Mastering facility was designed from the ground up utilizing the latest equipment and proven acoustic principals so you can be assured that the quality lives up to your expectations.

In the recording studio, you record one song at a time, and the focus of the recording or mixing engineer is to make each song great. The result, however, is generally a collection of songs that all peak at different levels and may have different EQs. In the post-production phase (mastering), a professional engineer unifies the CD by using EQ, compression, and other dynamics processing to give it a consistent sound from track to track.

In addition, post production can raise your album's overall level through the careful use of compression, so your album can compete with any major label release. The mastering engineer also ensures that your music will sound great - whether it's being played through a car stereo, a portable CD player, or a top-of-the-line stereo system. In CD Mastering, the sound of your CD will be optimized, making it sound punchy, warm, and full, while raising the overall level (volume) and highlighting details that aren't already apparent. Post production is also helpful for addressing issues such as "pops," out-of-phase tracks, and overall noise reduction.

A fresh pair of ears can be the difference between a good-sounding CD and a great one. A real advantage of post production is that an unbiased sound professional has the opportunity to evaluate your master and determine how to get the most out of your production. After you've spent weeks or even months in a recording studio listening to your CD over and over again, a fresh pair of ears can put the project into perspective for you and let you know whether or not your CD will benefit from post production. After all, you only have one chance to make your music sound its best. The choice is up to you.

The mastering engineer, to improve your recording, can:

• Raise the overall level.

• Even out song levels and EQ individual tracks for cohesion.

• Correct minor mix deficiencies with equalization.

• Enhance flow by changing the space between tracks.

• Eliminate noises between tracks.

Mastering will give your recordings clarity and detail, giving you that the sound you desire and turning your mixes into the polished, professional sound that is expected by your listeners. Audio Mastering is the single best thing you can do for your music.

Our goal is to master your music to the highest possible fidelity so that it stands out from the crowd and sounds the way you intended it to sound.

CD Mastering will get you the sound you hear on the radio, played in the clubs and sold in the stores.

It is from here http://www.industrymastering.com/documents/35.html Anyone heard of them? They have a picture of a very large audio console and have a very impressive client list but honestly I have never heard of them nor do they list any personnel. Just wondering????
-TOM-

Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
Room With a View Productions
http://www.acoustikmusik.com/

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.

lowland

Re: I got this in my email this morning. Has anyone heard of them?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 06:59:22 AM »

I wasn't going to post on this, but it seems to me that principles affecting all of us who earn our living from mastering or mixing have been raised and need airing.

I'd be interested to know exactly what was done by Industry Mastering on the albums featured in the portfolio list - there are major titles there, all AFAIK mastered by 'usual suspect' top names such as Doug Sax or Herb Powers and similarly so with mixing (Mike Shipley et al). The website's implication is that this outfit had top-level involvement either in mixing or mastering those releases, so personally I'd like to see some names: 'second engineer' or similar credits wouldn't be morally acceptable IMO without on-site clarification.

Chances are someone from Industry Mastering will see this and pop up here to explain their thinking - is all genuinely as it appears to be? Are they in fact passing off someone else's work as their own, or is this just an honest mistake?
Nigel Palmer
Lowland Masters
Essex, UK
www.lowlandmasters.com

johnR

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 07:15:25 AM »

Quote:

Our custom Audio Mastering facility was designed from the ground up utilizing the latest equipment and proven acoustic principals

I wonder who these "principals" were.

lowland

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 07:19:03 AM »

johnR wrote on Fri, 19 February 2010 12:15

Quote:

Our custom Audio Mastering facility was designed from the ground up utilizing the latest equipment and proven acoustic principals

I wonder who these "principals" were.

Yes, I did notice 'Britney' was misspelt a couple of times, although it's correct next to her album cover for hopefully obvious reasons.
Nigel Palmer
Lowland Masters
Essex, UK
www.lowlandmasters.com

Brad Sarno

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 08:43:04 AM »

They are taking credit for mastering Blink 182's "Take Off Your Pants and Jacket" which was actually mastered by Brian Gardner at Bernie Grundman Mastering. The whole thing seems fraudulent.

Brad

Brad Sarno
Blue Jade Audio Mastering
St. Louis, MO

"Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?"

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 09:15:18 AM »

Probably some middle aged nerdy guy living in a spare bedroom of his mother's house, with Garage Band and earbuds.

Well founded in audio principals no dowt.

JT
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

Thomas W. Bethel

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 09:45:53 AM »

lowland wrote on Fri, 19 February 2010 06:59

I wasn't going to post on this, but it seems to me that principles affecting all of us who earn our living from mastering or mixing have been raised and need airing.

I'd be interested to know exactly what was done by Industry Mastering on the albums featured in the portfolio list - there are major titles there, all AFAIK mastered by 'usual suspect' top names such as Doug Sax or Herb Powers and similarly so with mixing (Mike Shipley et al). The website's implication is that this outfit had top-level involvement either in mixing or mastering those releases, so personally I'd like to see some names: 'second engineer' or similar credits wouldn't be morally acceptable IMO without on-site clarification.

Chances are someone from Industry Mastering will see this and pop up here to explain their thinking - is all genuinely as it appears to be? Are they in fact passing off someone else's work as their own, or is this just an honest mistake?

There is a studio in Cleveland that says they have worked with the following artist: <then it lists some really famous artist> It implies they have done the recording, mixing or mastering for these folks but it could be anything from carrying a guitar to "personal assistant" to an on the road "guitar or synth tech" so it is somewhat misleading.

If I listed all the artists I worked with at the local college it would take up three sheets of single spaced paper but I was "working" with them while they were in residence or doing concerts and has nothing to do with my mastering or mixing their albums so I don't list them on my site. I guess "technically" I worked with them but.....???? I could say I "worked with" everyone from Weird Al to Yannis Xenakis. I think it would be streaching the truth so I don't post the list.

I have to assume the picture of the large scale console is also probably not theirs but who knows???? They do not show any pictures of their studios or mastering rooms.
-TOM-

Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
Room With a View Productions
http://www.acoustikmusik.com/

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.

compasspnt

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 10:07:04 AM »

We have worked closely with 25-30% of the clients they say they have "done," and we know several of them personally as good friends.

I've never heard of these artists doing anything at that place.

bblackwood

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 10:26:54 AM »

compasspnt wrote on Fri, 19 February 2010 09:07

We have worked closely with 25-30% of the clients they say they have "done," and we know several of them personally as good friends.

I've never heard of these artists doing anything at that place.

Yah, I'm thinking it's either completely bogus or, as mentioned above, those credits are for non-engineering production roles.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

JimK

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 10:39:52 AM »

Here's another site that shares the same phone number,

http://www.mp3waxx.com/submityourmusic2.php

That's an impressive amount of "contacts".
Jim Kissling

ggidluck

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 11:28:54 AM »

Tom, it seems like you are one of those 843,000 industry contacts they are selling... which includes 65,000 DJ's worldwide-Radio DJ's, music directors, program directors, club, satellite, mixtape, internet DJ's.  Cool  
Gordon Gidluck
http://live2496.com

lowland

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 11:39:18 AM »

With Brad's permission I've emailed Industry Mastering and invited them to view this thread and email or post their explanation.
Nigel Palmer
Lowland Masters
Essex, UK
www.lowlandmasters.com

blip

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 01:18:57 PM »

Also, most of the copy they have on that page is lifted from our site here. http://www.discmakers.com/soundlab/whatismastering/index.asp

This is the second "mastering" facility this week that we're having an issue with. The other facility actually took some of our mastering samples from our website or CD we mail out and re-mastered the songs, demonstrating how much better/louder their version was. The main problem I had with that site is they somehow converted all our samples to mono when they ripped them, and now both the un-mastered versions and our mastered versions sound awful, literally nothing like what they should. high-end cancelled out, the volume dropped a few DBs, and their mastered version of course sounds way louder and brighter. though interestingly enough he did his mastered version from the mono source as well. The only stereo element was his additional processing. Ugh.

blip

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 06:16:12 PM »

Decided I'd post up some links to the site that's ripped off our before/after mastering samples and is using them to demonstrate how much better they are then us. Enjoy!

Our before/after samples page. http://www.discmakers.com/soundlab/hearthedifference/index.a sp

The other mastering facility. http://cdmusicmastering.com/cd-music-mastering-before-and-af ter-samples.html

If you listen to the sample named "Staples" on our site, then the one named "Song #1" on their site, you can compare them. They also used 2 additional samples from us.

Also, scroll down the page and take a listen to their mastering samples for the band 1 Sick Unit, wow, harsh! But only $11.95.....

MASSIVE Mastering

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2010, 08:57:07 PM »

Geez, what a stroker...  
John Scrip
Massive Mastering - Chicago (Schaumburg / Hoffman Est.), IL - USA
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 20 queries.