R/E/P > Budget? Budget? We Don't Got No Steekin' Budjet

Monitors for Motif in Studio

(1/2) > >>

jc-muscleshoals:
I want some full range powered speakers/monitors for my Motif in the studio. If an artist wants to play piano and doesn't want to wear headphones, I am limited to my Dynaudios or NS10's. I don't want to blow my monitors, plus you can't get enough bass out of them. What do you guys recommend? I was thinking a subwoofer with a pair of cheap monitors like Behringers or larger woofer monitors.

hargerst:
If you're not too concerned about acoustic sound quality (because you'll be taking a line out from the piano for the recording), why not search Craigslist for a cheap, powered, small PA cabinet?

TheDan:
JBL Eons are usually only a couple hundred dollars, and are perfect for this sort of thing.

John Ivan:
As it turns out, I really like my M-AUDIO BX8a boxes. When I first brought them in, I was not at all sure about them. I was so used to my AMR 3 ways, and then I used old JBL,s for loud tracking/demo mixing when I first got to this room..

The BX8's image great [the sweet spot is huge for instance},, they don't change drastically when I move my chair in and out, side to side and so on.. At first, I thought the bottom end was to loud.. NO! It turns out that I finally have monitors that allow me to nail the bottom right off the bat. I also though there was a bit of a hole in them around 1-k.. Again, I have a different idea about them now. Other monitors seem to rip my head of in the mid range now.

I mixed on the AMR's for many many years so I was bummed when they were ruined in an attempted robbery. {I still might fix them, but can I mix on them now?}

I like these M-AUDIO boxes way better than the Mack's a lot of guys have.. The fact that I didn't like them at first but now find my mixes translate better and I can hear things I couldn't before {at least not as well} tell me I made a wise choice here.. Oh, you can play rockin' piano through them all day and not hurt them. I do this a lot ;-}.. Check them out. I dig them..

Ivan..........

Ian Visible:
Do you find the BX8s err on the bright side?

I find they make me mix a bit dull/dark sounding...ought to tinker with the little switch thingies on the back to reign in the high end a bit I suppose.

Just wondered if it's just me?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version