R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monitors for Motif in Studio  (Read 4466 times)

jc-muscleshoals

Monitors for Motif in Studio
« on: February 16, 2010, 06:15:49 PM »

I want some full range powered speakers/monitors for my Motif in the studio. If an artist wants to play piano and doesn't want to wear headphones, I am limited to my Dynaudios or NS10's. I don't want to blow my monitors, plus you can't get enough bass out of them. What do you guys recommend? I was thinking a subwoofer with a pair of cheap monitors like Behringers or larger woofer monitors.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives".

hargerst

Re: Monitors for Motif in Studio
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 08:08:26 PM »

If you're not too concerned about acoustic sound quality (because you'll be taking a line out from the piano for the recording), why not search Craigslist for a cheap, powered, small PA cabinet?
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

TheDan

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 01:04:36 PM »

JBL Eons are usually only a couple hundred dollars, and are perfect for this sort of thing.
It's all a ride.

John Ivan

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 06:03:12 PM »

As it turns out, I really like my M-AUDIO BX8a boxes. When I first brought them in, I was not at all sure about them. I was so used to my AMR 3 ways, and then I used old JBL,s for loud tracking/demo mixing when I first got to this room..

The BX8's image great [the sweet spot is huge for instance},, they don't change drastically when I move my chair in and out, side to side and so on.. At first, I thought the bottom end was to loud.. NO! It turns out that I finally have monitors that allow me to nail the bottom right off the bat. I also though there was a bit of a hole in them around 1-k.. Again, I have a different idea about them now. Other monitors seem to rip my head of in the mid range now.

I mixed on the AMR's for many many years so I was bummed when they were ruined in an attempted robbery. {I still might fix them, but can I mix on them now?}

I like these M-AUDIO boxes way better than the Mack's a lot of guys have.. The fact that I didn't like them at first but now find my mixes translate better and I can hear things I couldn't before {at least not as well} tell me I made a wise choice here.. Oh, you can play rockin' piano through them all day and not hurt them. I do this a lot ;-}.. Check them out. I dig them..

Ivan..........
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

Ian Visible

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 01:01:16 PM »

Do you find the BX8s err on the bright side?

I find they make me mix a bit dull/dark sounding...ought to tinker with the little switch thingies on the back to reign in the high end a bit I suppose.

Just wondered if it's just me?

John Ivan

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 06:13:42 PM »

Ian Visible wrote on Thu, 11 March 2010 13:01

Do you find the BX8s err on the bright side?

I find they make me mix a bit dull/dark sounding...ought to tinker with the little switch thingies on the back to reign in the high end a bit I suppose.

Just wondered if it's just me?

Hi Josh,

No I haven't found them to be to bright, {there by rendering my mixes dull},.. My AMR's were pretty bright though, in a really great way. Man, I could always nail things like Vocal level and so on.. The mid range was just so great..

I don't have switches on the back of mine for changing the response. On/Off, and a level control is all I have. These are the older ones.. I love them.. They seem to make me work at things that seemed to come more easily with the AMR's. On the other hand, things that I had to work at before, come together very quickly.. Like, the bottom is nailed down very dependably with these..They don't seem peaky down there. They seem right..

Ivan..........

"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 17 queries.