R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Beat Detective  (Read 6855 times)

grantis

Beat Detective
« on: February 09, 2010, 01:20:00 AM »

I've recently found myself using BD to the same extent as Melodyne.  ALL THE TIME.

Anybody else using it frequently?  If not, why?

Grant Craig
Nuovo Music (Me)
Skiddco Music (Where I work)
Work History (Well, some of it anyway)

Podgorny

Re: Beat Detective
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 01:43:44 AM »

Sure.  But you knew that.
It's great for batch crossfades and mapping tempos.
And of course, I love me some Melodyne.
"Nobody cares what the impedance is; all they care about is when you can walk into the room, set up a mic, turn the knobs, hit record, and make everybody go 'wow.'"

NelsonL

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 02:36:13 AM »

I needed to tighten things up on a home recordist project that I was mixing recently, in which the drums had been OD'd to a click. Elastic Audio worked out really well for me and, since I've never been especially swift with BD, it was much faster.

I do like using it for batch fades, but I need to re-train myself not to automatically highlight and command F after each edit, since it screws up the batch fade work flow.

More recently I've been making fairly subtle edits to a song that was cut to 2" with no click, and while time consuming, I like the challenge of fixing only those rushed or hesitant moments that take you out of the groove-- the result is appropriately 'human' sounding for the genre of music.

I find trying to detect the tempo on material like this is tough, I get sections that are up to 30 BPM apart according to BD, but sound much tighter to my ear. I don't have perfect meter, but I'm not that far off.

Probably user error, although I've gone through several tutorials on how to do it.

Most of the stuff I do with live drums has keeper basics, so I also feel like that makes BD less useful to me... anyone care to weigh in on that?

Do you guys just group everything and assume the drum edits will carry over musically to, for instance, bass and guitar?

Or are your pretty much always re-tracking to edited drums?

Bill_Urick

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 07:35:46 AM »

The batch fade function is often helpful.

Sometimes the beat alignment thing works, sometimes not so much.
I had very good luck with it once on a strummy mandolin part, of all things.

That same tune was deliberately cut with a very loose feel. Later I decided the choruses needed to be really locked down. So BD and a looped approach (drums) were just the ticket.

Fortunately everyone's time is usually pretty good, so that occasional manual nudging is sufficient.
Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.

KB_S1

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 09:24:26 AM »

NelsonL wrote on Tue, 09 February 2010 07:36

I find trying to detect the tempo on material like this is tough, I get sections that are up to 30 BPM apart according to BD, but sound much tighter to my ear. I don't have perfect meter, but I'm not that far off.

Probably user error, although I've gone through several tutorials on how to do it.

Meter changes?
You need to enter that in or it does get confused.
<a href="http://www.parklanerecordingstudios.com/" class="link3">Park Lane Studio</a> Where to find me most of the time<br /><br />

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/kb_s1/" class="link3">Flickr</a>where to see what I have been up to  <br /><br />

Daniel Farris

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 11:28:15 AM »

NelsonL wrote on Mon, 08 February 2010 23:36

Yes.

I don't use BD as a matter of course, but when I do, I don't group instruments with it, so yes, things get re-tracked over edited drums.

The exception would be when the drums are the last thing to go down, and all of the other instruments were done to the click or a loop. Then I just edit the drums and leave everything else alone. This happens surprisingly often on singer/songwriter projects.

DF

j.hall

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 12:06:08 PM »

batch fade is used OFTEN.  

i use it all the time for drums as well.  though i hardly ever use the "conform" feature.  i just separate regions and edit smoothing with it.

NelsonL

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 01:46:52 PM »

KB_S1 wrote on Tue, 09 February 2010 06:24

NelsonL wrote on Tue, 09 February 2010 07:36

Meter changes?
You need to enter that in or it does get confused.

No not an intentional tempo or meter change, I do understand how to add those events to adjust the grid/click where required.

I should have used a more appropriate term, I didn't mean meter as in beats per measure, but rather my ability to detect fluctuations in the tempo. Poor choice of words on my part.

grantis

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 01:52:45 PM »

NelsonL wrote on Mon, 08 February 2010 23:36

Yeah, that's the case over here.  It's rare that I use beat detective on a mix only project...that's not my "job".

Come to think of it, I never use the conform function of BD either.  I always just use the quantize function in the event operations window.  I've always had better luck with that.

Interestingly enough, I never use it for batch fades.  I'm gonna start doing that. Smile

Elastic audio works OK, if you can get it to play nice with your cymbal decays.  
Grant Craig
Nuovo Music (Me)

meverylame

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 04:00:50 PM »

Great for when your drummer can hit drums and cymbals at the same time. can be a real bit if not.
Cheers!
Jason Kingsland

http://www.jasonruinsrecords.com

KB_S1

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 05:08:46 PM »

Liam,

I understood your point and worded my reply poorly.

I wasn't questioning what you meant, I was wondering if it was due to meter changes that the detection accuracy was unusual.
Just sounding out possibilities.
<a href="http://www.parklanerecordingstudios.com/" class="link3">Park Lane Studio</a> Where to find me most of the time<br /><br />

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/kb_s1/" class="link3">Flickr</a>where to see what I have been up to  <br /><br />

NelsonL

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 02:49:56 AM »

OK thanks Keith, certainly a worthy a suggestion.

I think the beat I'm remembering in particular was a shuffle, that may have had some part in the problem.

grantis

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 10:13:35 AM »

NelsonL wrote on Fri, 12 February 2010 01:49

OK thanks Keith, certainly a worthy a suggestion.

I think the beat I'm remembering in particular was a shuffle, that may have had some part in the problem.

Shuffles and swings are quite a challenge for me.  BD will put it on the grid just fine, but working out all cymbal flutters is a pain in my neck.  Anybody got any tricks for that?
Grant Craig
Nuovo Music (Me)

j.hall

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2010, 02:46:38 PM »

play it better.

jc-muscleshoals

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2010, 03:14:41 PM »

BT sometimes. I love elastic audio. It has saved me a couple of times. I've used it on fingerstyle guitar to save an otherwise perfect performance.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives".

grantis

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2010, 04:56:24 PM »

j.hall wrote on Fri, 12 February 2010 13:46

play it better.

Not all of us are pro drummers like you.
Grant Craig
Nuovo Music (Me)

j.hall

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2010, 05:53:28 PM »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

judging by the amount of blisters on my hands from the last session.......i'm no pro.

NelsonL

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2010, 08:31:07 AM »

j.hall wrote on Fri, 12 February 2010 11:46

play it better.

Always... but with out of town players and/or mix projects, sometimes that ship has flailed.

grantis

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2010, 02:44:47 PM »

jc-muscleshoals wrote on Fri, 12 February 2010 14:14

BT sometimes. I love elastic audio. It has saved me a couple of times. I've used it on fingerstyle guitar to save an otherwise perfect performance.

Yeah, I too have used EA on lots of stuff.  IMO though, it just can't hang with drums.  Very useful on almost anything else though.  Sometimes it gets weird with low end on bass if your analysis markers are in weird spots.
Grant Craig
Nuovo Music (Me)

Josh McArdle

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2010, 01:26:48 AM »

I sometimes use it to tighten up a bass part but normally I find elastic audio does it better. The warp view is a god send.

I haven't worked on a project yet where I've felt that the drummer was far enough off to need correction. Maybe the odd kick or snare hit, but nothing major...either I've been lucky or I have terrible meter...

j.hall

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2010, 12:14:29 PM »

Josh McArdle wrote on Wed, 17 February 2010 00:26

I sometimes use it to tighten up a bass part but normally I find elastic audio does it better. The warp view is a god send.

I haven't worked on a project yet where I've felt that the drummer was far enough off to need correction. Maybe the odd kick or snare hit, but nothing major...either I've been lucky or I have terrible meter...

keep it that way.  once you start "griding" drums, you'll become obsessed with it.

grantis

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2010, 02:24:13 PM »

j.hall wrote on Wed, 17 February 2010 11:14

Josh McArdle wrote on Wed, 17 February 2010 00:26

keep it that way.  once you start "griding" drums, you'll become obsessed with it.

Maybe that's because drums belong on the grid.

BWAAAHAHAHAHAHA
Grant Craig
Nuovo Music (Me)
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.