R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Condenser for snare drum  (Read 24736 times)

jonathan jetter

Re: Condenser for snare drum
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2010, 12:06:14 AM »

i've had good luck with a UM70, a KM84, a 414, and a U87.

used a 4033 in a pinch once and it worked fine too.  not as nice as the others above but w/e.

used a Rode NT5 and enjoyed it but it's a little too hot for a loud drummer.  the newer one (NT55 i think?) has a pad built in.

hargerst

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2010, 01:32:40 AM »

I think Bill's on a pretty tight budget and is looking for a low cost alternative to his SM57 for snare.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

MrJoshua

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2010, 12:16:53 PM »

hargerst wrote on Mon, 15 February 2010 00:32

I think Bill's on a pretty tight budget and is looking for a low cost alternative to his SM57 for snare.

If that's the case, and he's looking for more snap, try moving the mic to the shell instead of the top head.  About an inch back from the shell of the drum, midway down can give a good mix of top-head attack and bottom-head snare snap.  You have to be careful with the placement, though, as it's easy to get a lot of kick drum bleed with this placement (or at least it has been for me).
Joshua Lovvorn

audiowonderland

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2010, 02:13:07 PM »

MrJoshua wrote on Mon, 15 February 2010 11:16

If that's the case, and he's looking for more snap, try moving the mic to the shell instead of the top head.  About an inch back from the shell of the drum, midway down can give a good mix of top-head attack and bottom-head snare snap.  You have to be careful with the placement, though, as it's easy to get a lot of kick drum bleed with this placement (or at least it has been for me).

Interesting idea. I have a couple of Sennheiser mics (609/906) that are super cardoid that may work. Just an inc or so from the shell eh? Never tried that before.

Fibes

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2010, 09:56:15 AM »

Audiowonderland wrote on Mon, 15 February 2010 14:13

MrJoshua wrote on Mon, 15 February 2010 11:16

Interesting idea. I have a couple of Sennheiser mics (609/906) that are super cardoid that may work. Just an inc or so from the shell eh? Never tried that before.

Sometimes it can be just the ticket, other times it sounds like a poorly executed rim shot.
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

MrJoshua

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2010, 08:41:57 AM »

True - it certainly isn't something that works every time.  But what is?  Smile
Joshua Lovvorn

hargerst

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2010, 02:02:43 PM »

MrJoshua wrote on Fri, 26 February 2010 07:41

True - it certainly isn't something that works every time.  But what is?  Smile

So much of the snare "sound" is really dependent on what the song needs.  We have about 12 or more different snares available to help get us close to the "right sound" before we even start to put up mics.  Usually, the SM57, the Beyer M201, or the MXL Cube will turn out to be best for a given track.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

wwittman

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2010, 08:24:07 PM »

hargerst wrote on Fri, 26 February 2010 14:02

So much of the snare "sound" is really dependent on what the song needs.  We have about 12 or more different snares available to help get us close to the "right sound" before we even start to put up mics.  

I completely agree with that...
and with tuning or head choices for additional variety beyond even drum choice

but it all goes in front of the 84 after that Twisted Evil
William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

jonathan jetter

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2010, 10:18:07 PM »

hargerst wrote on Mon, 15 February 2010 01:32

i have to apologize-  i completely forgot this was the "budget" forum.

in that case i think a Beyer 201 or shure SM7, while both more expensive than the 57, will sound a lot better but without breaking the bank.

martthie_08

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2010, 08:09:10 AM »

I like the M201 on snare bottom, you might wanna look out for a Revox M3500, which is a very similar mic, but can be found much cheaper.

cheers, Marten

Halfway Competent

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2010, 10:14:13 PM »

compasspnt wrote on Tue, 09 February 2010 06:25

If you want information regarding "bottom" snare mics, it should come from someone else, because I do not like them.

The best snare mic is one backed away from the snare...the farther back you get, the better the snare can sound.  But of course, then the more the other drums will blend into that one mic.

Many, including me, like to use one (or maybe two) mics on *the drum kit*...this includes the snare of course.  But the drummer will have to be good enough to balance the kit.

I was referring to using the pencil condenser as a (fairly at least) close snare mic on the top side, in the oft-used individual drum mic'ing technique.

You know, I recall a session I assisted on once...  Bud of mine was the drummer.  Got his kit all set up, the engineer miked it all up, and then put a Beta58 on a boom for him to have a talkback mic.  It was positioned such that it pointed at him and if he wanted to talk, he could lean over to it.  We started tracking, and I was like, "Man, that's a badass snare sound!  ...Why is it louder than other stuff?  Oh, the talkback mic is on."  So we muted it (wasn't going to tape or anything).  Badass snare sound?  Gone.  I forget what we had up close on the snare, but had we not been suffering rectal-cranial integration, we'd have put that talkback mic to tape!  

I really oughta try that again...

Halfway Competent

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2010, 10:20:09 PM »

MrJoshua wrote on Mon, 15 February 2010 09:16

Could work...  With a steel snare it might get you a lot of ring, though.  

compasspnt

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2010, 10:38:32 PM »

Wow, I just used what was my favourite microphone ever on snare today/tonight.

Unfortunately, I can't say at this time what it is, for a couple of reasons.

But I am really excited, and will divulge the "secret" sometime pretty soon.

KB_S1

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2010, 06:39:59 AM »

Is it possible for anyone else to stumble upon this 'secret' just now or, is it a New 'secret'?
<a href="http://www.parklanerecordingstudios.com/" class="link3">Park Lane Studio</a> Where to find me most of the time<br /><br />

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/kb_s1/" class="link3">Flickr</a>where to see what I have been up to  <br /><br />

compasspnt

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2010, 08:11:06 AM »

In most ways, this is a new "secret."

Not a now-well-known LDC situation.

Sorry for the secrecy, but I can't say for the moment.

Probably shouldn't have posted it, just got excited yesterday.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 22 queries.