R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: need help choosing mic  (Read 2265 times)

mogwailoveyou

need help choosing mic
« on: July 29, 2004, 05:33:04 PM »

i'm conflicted on what mic to buy, pretty much this mic is just for vocals, and the style i'm going for is the quiet intimate sound. i'm looking for light and airy, not intense and scathing. Think low, elliott smith (not as lofi though), quiet velvet underground, donovan, air, etc. the main mics i've been considering are...

studio projects b1, b3, c1
mxl v67, 2003
oktava mk102 (is there a difference between mk012 and mc012?)
audio technica at3035

i should note that my recording enviroment is less than ideal so if that needs to be taken into consideration...

i've gotten other musicians opinions but i'd appreciate it from some people that i think know the style i'm talking about (most people instantly assume that i'm going for a dmb/john mayer coffeehouse rock sound so it's quite hard to communicate with them)

[edit] - i just bought an at3035, figure that it'll serve me well for the random tasks i'll be using it for, if anyone has any tips on that mic and getting the kinds of intimate sounds i'm looking for, i'd love to get some advice.
mogwai love you and need you

spankenstein

Re: need help choosing mic
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2004, 05:05:17 PM »

Of the mics on your list I've only used the MK012 (the MK and MC doesn't mean anything as far as I know). I only have the cardioid capsule but this is definitely a great all around mic. I have and do use it on literally everything.

mogwailoveyou

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2004, 06:01:54 PM »

ya i'm thinking that on my second round studio stockup (hopefully early next year...) I'm gonna grab a pair of those for overheads. Haha financial woes (and me not being a drummer) has forced me to recommend ecm8000s to my drummer for overheads for the time being... although i am tempted to try something along the lines of using the at3035 near the crash and an ecm8000 near the ride. wonder how that'd work...
mogwai love you and need you

STILL

• Real Full Name: Wade Biery
  • I record and stand near stars onstage
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2004, 02:49:24 PM »

A Shure KSM 32 sounds surprisingly good on close quiet vocals, and you can use it on a LOT of other things as well, guitar cabs and overheads come to mind.....it's not the best for anything, but it's very good at a lot of things.....
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 16 queries.