R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Went to see John Vanderslice at the showbox, thanks J.Hall  (Read 3015 times)

archtop

Went to see John Vanderslice at the showbox, thanks J.Hall
« on: July 11, 2004, 10:38:29 PM »

It was you J.Hall,
who mentioned the engineering of Scott Solter, (and pointed us to a link ) who was playing with John Vanderslice last night, on the last show of a 5 week tour with Pedro the Lion.

I was hooked from the first mp3 I grabbed from his page: "My Old Flame"

John writes awesome songs that really grab me. He and Scott were so gracious and nice.

Having a studio and a steady weekly live gig, I rarely search out music for my own enjoyment, much less, have a fill in guy mix so I can go to a different show.

I might have endured the hunger and impatient family to hear more than 5 or 6 songs from Pedro had the Volume been less than 110 - 115 at FOH

for the BALLADS.

So we left.

So, really this is just a thank you for pointing out that link.
and for you others, check out some JV.
Richard Williams

Bivouac

Re: Went to see John Vanderslice at the showbox, thanks J.Hall
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004, 01:34:45 AM »

All I know is that I missed him on the 7th in Denver and I'm not very happy about it.  I had just gotten off work (after getting up at 4:45am) and was about to head north to the show when I realized that I was dead tired, had no one to go with, and had nothing to change into from work.

I just told myself that it wasn't worth it, not for an opening set anyway.  I just hate going to shows by myself--it's so lonely.  I like to meet people and stuff but shows are always more fun when you have someone to share it with.  Anyone here from Colorado like to go see indie rock shows?

John is so much fun to watch live though--he's just as good of a performer as he is a songwriter.  His band is SO solid every time he hits the stage.  I'm really going to miss his old drummer though, Christopher McGuire.  He is, hands down, the most entertaining drummer I've ever seen.  Anyone else get the chance to see the band when he was still in it?

j.hall

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2004, 09:54:55 AM »

i've seen JV with christopher about 4 times

christopher is a really great person....

most times john comes through, i head up early and we go get dinner, when christopher is with him, he always comes out and a massively awesome time is had by all.

christopher is currently in japan playing with some rock band over there.  he might be back by now, i'm not sure.....

i think you'll see him on JV tours in the future.

Bo

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2004, 11:50:22 PM »

why is I miss JV every time he comes through here...jeez.
"knifing prostitots - one at a time"

theenvycorps

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2004, 11:01:18 AM »

We need Chris Mac back!!  I saw JV in Iowa this time around and for me, it was his weakest lineup yet.  His records are amazing, and always full of lush harmonies, yet nobody sang backup on this tour and I really felt something was missing.  In any case, it was a good set, apart from the reworking of '424' (not sure the logic behind that one) the playing was really good.

I miss the days of JV, Mac, Danno Carr on bass and Jay on samples....

The show I went to is actually now available for download on his site (johnvanderslice.com).  Check it out.

mogwailoveyou

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2004, 12:12:05 PM »

vanderslice is an interesting cat, funny story, my friend says he saw him once around colorado where he was opening for deathcab for cutie, apparently the audience booed him off the stage after 4 songs demanding that gibbard come out... he claims deathcab didn't even stand up for him, they just came out and played. such a sad world  Confused . but vanderslice is an interesting cat, he's always referencing so many things, not exactly the most original man lyric wise but still witty, i mean how many guys quote both pb shelley and david lynch on the same album (by the way j.hall, you do know your sig is a line from the movie mulholland drive right? "promising actress" is just a summation of that story, much in the same way "when it hits my blood" is a summation of requiem for a dream. although "pale horse" has my favorite references, considering the entire song is just stanzas from pb shelley's poem "the mask of anarchy" powerful words.
mogwai love you and need you

j.hall

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2004, 12:53:14 PM »

i disagree

he's very original.....

he grabs things that move him, and he finds brilliant ways of writing songs about it

i was a creative writing major in college for a while.....among many other majors

my poetry professor said something i totally agree with, and have continued to use to this day

"if you take a piece of some one elses work and morph into your piece you are but a common thief and should be treated as one, but if you are moved by another's work, and you use it in your work, not altering it one bit, just flat out using it.  you are paying huge respect to that person.  that's not stealing, it's honoring another artist by saying, that was so good i had to use it for myself"

the thing that i love about john is that he won't even discuss it with you.  if you brought this up to him, he'd smile and laugh, maybe give you a hug, but he would not admit to anything, or discuss it with you.  i know, because i try all the time....every time he's in town.

trust me man, the extent of the "stealing" he does goes way deeper then you mentioned above.

the thing that john can do better then most singer/writers is sell you the story as if it's his own.

you just aren't sure if he lived the subject matter or made it up.......

promising actress is a beautiful piece.......no matter where he drew the inspiration, he delivers on that song.

mogwailoveyou

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2004, 03:22:46 PM »

oh i definately agree. he's a great lyricist. i just thought it was a bad move to put two movie songs on a non-theme album... both songs are very strong and based on very inspiring movies, just think it's a bad album move (imho). and the quote comment was just because i'm a david lynch fan. now how would you feel if my signature quote was "take my breath away" - jessica simpson  Very Happy (just kidding around man)

j.hall

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2004, 03:36:50 PM »

all right, i get it.....i wasn't aware of that exact line being in the movie......

i'll change my sig file to something else...........

theenvycorps

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2004, 05:15:38 PM »

There's actually 3 movie songs on that album...."Wild Strawberries" is an Ingmar Bergman film from the 50's.

To this day I still prefer Time Travel is Lonely, great vibe on that record.  For me, his best work was with his pre-solo band MK Ultra on "The Dream is Over"....what an amazing album.  I believe that record was the first album ever done at Tiny Telephone.

If you guys haven't heard MK Ultra all the albums are free via their website, www.mkultra.com.

mogwailoveyou

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2004, 05:57:29 PM »

theenvycorps wrote on Fri, 30 July 2004 16:15

For me, his best work was with his pre-solo band MK Ultra on "The Dream is Over"....what an amazing album.

definately! it took me 3 years to realize that vanderslice was in that band. no idea how i didn't pick it up from the music itself, i guess i just assumed that it was an artistic freak accident...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 19 queries.