R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: no pop filter, mix/edit technique  (Read 11908 times)

NelsonL

Re: no pop filter, mix/edit technique
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2010, 01:12:26 AM »

j.hall wrote on Mon, 01 February 2010 09:05

really?  you guys don't use a popper stopper at all?  

maybe it's the big rock i'm working on constantly, but the amount of compression applied to the vocal with tonal EQ'ing.  i can't say the popper stopper has ever bothered me.  in fact, i'm glad it's there.

I've seen colleagues use two popper stoppers and a pencil, and the track came out great. But could it have been a little better?

That's the question I take away from every session, despite the fact that I've actually made some recordings that I'm proud of. I suspect most of us are this way.

You have to figure out what works for you, and to me, that story never ends.

PS, Maarvold, I didn't mean to jack your thread idea. I just re-read your bump over there and realized that you really deserve the credit for starting this conversation-- thank you!

Podgorny

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2010, 01:30:18 AM »

I find the hexagonal shape of the pencil to cause undesirable artifacts.  Bic pens are much preferred.
"Nobody cares what the impedance is; all they care about is when you can walk into the room, set up a mic, turn the knobs, hit record, and make everybody go 'wow.'"

NelsonL

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2010, 01:54:49 AM »

Podgorny wrote on Mon, 01 February 2010 22:30

I find the hexagonal shape of the pencil to cause undesirable artifacts.  Bic pens are much preferred.

Sharpie's sound phat and you can tag with them.

Reno

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2010, 10:16:04 AM »

hi guys!

try Spectro !

http://www.stillwellaudio.com/?page_id=32http://www.stillwellaudio.com/?page_id=32

a low cost plug-ins that change my life

denoiser, deplopper, debreath, eq, analyser,...
it's a all in one, easy (as hell) to use plug-in and it's awesome

grantis

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2010, 11:45:59 AM »

Podgorny wrote on Tue, 02 February 2010 00:30

Mont Blanc pens have a nice high-end quality.  Bic is the behringer of pop filters.
Grant Craig
Nuovo Music (Me)
Skiddco Music (Where I work)
Work History (Well, some of it anyway)

jetbase

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2010, 05:02:17 PM »

grantis wrote on Wed, 03 February 2010 03:45

Mont Blanc pens have a nice high-end quality.  Bic is the behringer of pop filters.

Be careful what road you go down because once you get to a quill you're back to popper stopper again.
sleep is not an option

jwhynot: "There's a difference between thinking or acting dogmatically and drawing from experience."

Glenn Santry
http://www.myspace.com/glennsantry

grantis

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2010, 10:00:46 PM »

jetbase wrote on Tue, 02 February 2010 16:02

grantis wrote on Wed, 03 February 2010 03:45

Be careful what road you go down because once you get to a quill you're back to popper stopper again.

yeah, no doubt.  I hate those things though.  Always leaving ink stains on my chin.
Grant Craig
Nuovo Music (Me)
Skiddco Music (Where I work)
Work History (Well, some of it anyway)

j.hall

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2010, 11:31:10 AM »

they tickle my face...

jonathan jetter

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2010, 01:01:27 PM »

i have recently stopped using a pop-filter for most sessions.

i think for hip-hop, or loud rock, the benefits may still outweigh the drawbacks.

but i was about to throw down several thousand for a different vocal mic after growing displeased with my Mojave MA-200.

the other night i did a vocal session with no pop filter and the mic sounded like a million bucks.  easily the best vocal sound i've recorded in a long, long time.  i've done other sessions with the same singer through the same chain (API 312, Purple MC77, Digi 192) that didn't sound nearly as big/full/warm/awesome/natural/whatever.  totally happy with the mic now.

maarvold

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2010, 02:00:58 AM »

jonathan jetter wrote on Wed, 03 February 2010 10:01

i have recently stopped using a pop-filter for most sessions...

...the other night i did a vocal session with no pop filter and the mic sounded like a million bucks...

This mirrors how I feel about results I've been getting recently when doing vocals with no pop filter.  
Michael Aarvold
Audio Engineer

Tomas Danko

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2010, 07:44:28 AM »

jonathan jetter wrote on Wed, 03 February 2010 18:01

i think for hip-hop, or loud rock, the benefits may still outweigh the drawbacks.

but i was about to throw down several thousand for a different vocal mic after growing displeased with my Mojave MA-200.

the other night i did a vocal session with no pop filter and the mic sounded like a million bucks.  easily the best vocal sound i've recorded in a long, long time.  i've done other sessions with the same singer through the same chain (API 312, Purple MC77, Digi 192) that didn't sound nearly as big/full/warm/awesome/natural/whatever.  totally happy with the mic now.

Sometimes it's useful to have a pop filter in order to prevent a nervous and inexperienced talent/actor from moving too close to the microphone...
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

NelsonL

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2010, 07:59:52 AM »

Tomas Danko wrote on Thu, 04 February 2010 04:44

Sometimes it's useful to have a pop filter in order to prevent a nervous and inexperienced talent/actor from moving too close to the microphone...

Or, just arrange the pencil horizontally.

iCombs

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2010, 04:50:48 PM »

NelsonL wrote on Thu, 04 February 2010 06:59

Sharp end out...helps to really teach the lesson.
Ian Combs
Producer/Engineer
Lightspeed Group, Inc.
----------------------
"Mista apareeatah... can I have maar beass at all frequencies?"

DCombs

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2010, 01:56:46 AM »

iCombs wrote on Thu, 04 February 2010 15:50

NelsonL wrote on Thu, 04 February 2010 06:59

Sharp end out...helps to really teach the lesson.

i'm with icombs, maybe educating people about how to sing into a mic is good. i always sing slightly off axis, no filter; no pop. just don't be retarded and focus on what really matters, a performance. i think that should be a moto.
I'm a certified pants technician.

Jonah A. Kort

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2010, 07:58:29 AM »

DCombs wrote on Sun, 07 February 2010 00:56

just don't be retarded and focus on what really matters, a performance.

Quoted for emphasis...

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 20 queries.