R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Zero Reflection Control Rooms...?  (Read 8787 times)

Gabriel F

Re: Zero Reflection Control Rooms...?
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2010, 01:56:51 PM »

Very interesting reading, Bill.

Larrchild

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2010, 02:06:33 PM »

Clever link, Bill. Like matter and antimatter.
Larry Janus
http://2ubes.net

RSettee

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2010, 02:21:43 PM »

I'm not sure that a totally perfect room exists. I'd studied acoustics for awhile, and i'd got into the absolute audiophile purists' version of a perfect listening room--nothing...I mean, no stereo even in the room, just speakers and a perfectly measured listening chair that's exactly the right angle and distance from the walls and speakers. With all the reflective surfaces in a console room, I think that there's ways to minimize the problems, but considering that racks of gear are sometimes being moved around, and that you've got various people in a room (let's say 10 people which includes a band and maybe some girlfriends in the console room, some moving around at various times), and that's bound to change the directions of the waves at times. Not to say that you can't aim for the most  perfect room that you can imagine....I just don't think that a console room will ever be totally perfect. It's just acoustical logic--you get more surfaces, you get more possible variables in the room, and it changes something slightly.

zmix

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2010, 02:27:48 PM »

Anechoic environments can be unnerving.. many people experience vertigo or nausea when spending too much time there..

..however, a "ZR" room sounds like the perfect environment for a pair of JOLY monitors...!!

Bill Mueller

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2010, 02:41:14 PM »

zmix wrote on Sat, 30 January 2010 14:27

Anechoic environments can be unnerving.. many people experience vertigo or nausea when spending too much time there..

..however, a "ZR" room sounds like the perfect environment for a pair of JOLY monitors...!!

And we were doing so well too.

Bill
"Don't take it personally. But this shit is a science." J.J.Blair

“The Internet is only a means of communication,” he wrote. “It is not an amorphous extraterrestrial body with an entitlement to norms that run counter to the fundamental principles of human rights. There is nothing in the criminal or civil law which legalizes that which is otherwise illegal simply because the transaction takes place over the Internet.” Irish judge, Peter Charleton

wwittman

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2010, 11:14:44 PM »

I have to agree that ultra dead, or approaching anechoic, rooms are uncomfortable

on the other hand, Hidley (who created Westlake, which spawned, eventually, this man as well) described (pioneered?) the idea of no REFLECTION, meaning that a wave passes the listener and doesn't roll back off the rear walls

but Hidley rooms don't feel dead, and have a god bit of reflection and dispersion in FRONT. (kind of the opposite of LEDE)

I haven't heard this concept, described here yet, but from the glowing reports I certainly would WANT to before I pass judgement

William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

MDM,

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2010, 06:33:30 AM »

I wonder how early reflections and reverbs would be percieved in such a room
I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy .. in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry and music.
John Adams (1735-1826) 2nd President, United States

Barry Hufker

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2010, 11:49:30 AM »

I can understand how one could master in a room like that but possibly not mix.  I would think the inclination would be to add too much reverb (or at least what would be perceived as too much reverb when heard in a typical home).

Jay Kadis

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2010, 12:14:24 PM »

The reason we use dead rooms for playback is so that the point of origin of the sounds is not confused by reflections.  This allows the spatialization of sounds to be controlled by the software - we use Ambisonics as one way of placing sounds into an arbitrary sound field and controlling the apparent movement of these sounds.  I haven't tried to mix in such an environment, but it might well be somewhat like mixing in headphones as there's no room contribution diffusing the sound beyond what comes out of the speakers, although the "inside the head" effect wouldn't be the same.

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2010, 12:57:38 PM »

Barry Hufker wrote on Sun, 31 January 2010 10:49

...I would think the inclination would be to add too much reverb (or at least what would be perceived as too much reverb when heard in a typical home)...
It actually creates the opposite problem. The reverb effect needs to overcome that already in the listening room.

You're basically talking about creating a room that sounds like headphones.

littlehat

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2010, 01:19:10 PM »

I would think mastering in a dead room would lead to perceiving too much stereo separation and making things a little too mono and not wide enough.
Push the RED button!

wwittman

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2010, 02:30:49 PM »

I don't actually think mastering is where stereo-ness is determined in 99% of cases.

William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2010, 04:22:30 PM »

True, in mastering it's about avoiding screwing up "stereo-ness."

littlehat

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2010, 06:04:20 PM »

I respectfully, but totally, disagree.
Push the RED button!

jetbase

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2010, 06:42:59 PM »

littlehat wrote on Tue, 02 February 2010 10:04

I respectfully, but totally, disagree.

How do you mean?

In regards to speculating about how ZR works, since it's not fully isolating I wonder how putting this treatment, or approach, into an isolated room effects the results and/or implementation. Logic tells me that the bottom end would be different, or that if it made no difference to the ZR treatment then the treatment surely must be fully isolating... but perhaps logic doesn't quite apply to acoustics.
sleep is not an option

jwhynot: "There's a difference between thinking or acting dogmatically and drawing from experience."

Glenn Santry
http://www.myspace.com/glennsantry
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 20 queries.