R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 80's electric guitar sounds...  (Read 12878 times)

breathe

Re: 80's electric guitar sounds...
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2010, 02:14:53 AM »

Are Lace Sensors what DESTROYED Blues music?

Nicholas

Daniel Farris

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2010, 02:28:04 AM »

breathe wrote on Mon, 01 February 2010 23:09

I HATE these Lace Sensors you give sound references to!!!  These sounds are like the ESSENCE of what I hate about electric guitar music.

Nicholas

To be fair, they're links to players who *use* Lace pickups. We don't know for certain what pickups are being used in the clips.

I'm using it as an example of a popular eighties sound that I hope never to hear again.

DF

Tomas Danko

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2010, 07:53:03 AM »

zakco wrote on Tue, 02 February 2010 02:05

I owned a couple of Lace Sensor equipped strats when they came out. While I wouldn't say they outright suck, they lack much of the character that I consider to be classic strat tone. Just a little too polished and not enough attitude for my tastes...

Seeing as we're reminiscing here, does anyone remember fenders' attempts to improve their nuts? Both the roller nut and the ball bearing version...had one of each. ouch. Hard to beat a chunk o' bone.

-Z-

Traditional single coil pickups used in the Fender guitars only pick up signal when the string moves horisontally across the magnet (beware of simplification here, though).

Furthermore, the top end frequencies are very transient and after striking the string they fade off quickly. (i.e. twang)

These parameters are integral parts of the characteristics of the sound of these instruments.

Now, enter Lace Sensor.

They pick up a signal when the string alternates horisontally as well as vertically.

They also pick up top end frequencies (i.e. treble) over a much longer duration in time. (i.e. no twang)

FWIW, the later incarnations of the Lace Sensor technology sounds a lot more like regular pickups.
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

itsapleasure

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2010, 06:52:39 PM »

breathe wrote on Tue, 02 February 2010 02:14

Are Lace Sensors what DESTROYED Blues music?

Nicholas

no, but they definitely helped bury it...

MagnetoSound

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2010, 10:40:51 AM »

That was IC's, silly.

Music can make me get right up out of my chair and start dancing or it can get me so pumped up I have to walk around the block.
It can also knock me back and make me sit there and cry like a little baby. This shit is as powerful as any drug!!!
- Larry DeVivo

John Ivan

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2010, 02:43:35 PM »

In all seriousness. There is simply no way you can "Specifically Hear" LC's.. You are saying I can't make a Guitar tone that you dig with them.. I think I can.. Play me a tone from one of your crazy records. I'll get very close to it with LC's.. They are pick ups.. They are not a player, a room, a guitar, or even an amp.. The are just pick ups..

Ivan...............

breathe wrote on Tue, 02 February 2010 02:09

I HATE these Lace Sensors you give sound references to!!!  These sounds are like the ESSENCE of what I hate about electric guitar music.

Nicholas

Daniel Farris wrote on Fri, 29 January 2010 13:35

J.J. Blair wrote on Fri, 29 January 2010 11:41

Lace Sensors do not sound "shimmery."

Townshend, Clapton, Beck.  

Nothing "shimmery" about their tones.

I resisted the urge to specifically mention Clapton.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_Iq4Wc37Z8

While not the eighties, the first 30 seconds of this epitomizes what I'm talking about.

DF

"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

wwittman

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2010, 04:44:18 PM »

'very close' is almost never the point

the question is 'which one sounds BETTER'?

use that one

you can certainly get by if all you have is lace sensors

but why anyone would CHOOSE to put them in a guitar is beyond me when there are so many better sounding options

what is the thing they do BETTER than other pick ups?

William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

Sean Eldon Qualls

« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2010, 04:47:00 PM »

wwittman wrote on Wed, 03 February 2010 16:44

Of course, they are superior at sensing lace!
Sean Eldon
Gainfully unemployed / Back to freelancing

"Gearslutz -- Where the uneducated go to fight it out with the misinformed" - Dave Hecht

J.J. Blair

« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2010, 06:18:26 PM »

wwittman wrote on Wed, 03 February 2010 13:44

Much less of a hassle in the noise department.  One of the worst things about Fenders in the studio, IMO.  I don;t have to find that "magic angle" where there's the least amount of noise.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Sean Eldon Qualls

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2010, 06:21:06 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Wed, 03 February 2010 18:18

One of the worst things about Fenders in the studio, IMO.  I don;t have to find that "magic angle" where there's the least amount of noise.

Perhaps you should say "Fenders in the control room"
Sean Eldon
Gainfully unemployed / Back to freelancing

"Gearslutz -- Where the uneducated go to fight it out with the misinformed" - Dave Hecht

itsapleasure

« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2010, 07:14:34 PM »

John Ivan wrote on Wed, 03 February 2010 14:43

In all seriousness. There is simply no way you can "Specifically Hear" LC's.. You are saying I can't make a Guitar tone that you dig with them.. I think I can.. Play me a tone from one of your crazy records. I'll get very close to it with LC's.. They are pick ups.. They are not a player, a room, a guitar, or even an amp.. The are just pick ups..

Ivan...............

You're on!  

Though I'll admit that they're not nearly as bad as most people on this thread make them out to be.  They're a good "safe" pickup.  Good for an RnB gig, wedding r funeral.  

Part of it maybe the guitars they're typically put in.  I have a strat that came w/ LCs and no matter what I put in that guitar, it still sounds like cock and balls.  

wwittman

« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2010, 11:22:33 PM »

predictable, if it's made after 1969

William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

John Ivan

« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2010, 01:54:35 AM »

wwittman wrote on Wed, 03 February 2010 16:44

'very close' is almost never the point

the question is 'which one sounds BETTER'?

use that one

you can certainly get by if all you have is lace sensors

but why anyone would CHOOSE to put them in a guitar is beyond me when there are so many better sounding options

You make the right point ,of course.. It is after all a matter of preference.  I must say, for certain blues/Rock tones, nothing I've heard beats the neck pick up in my strat.. Maybe it's just how THAT guitar came together or something but it is a wonderful tone to solo with.. Also, the red humbucker is dark and loud enough without hitting the front of the amp to hard.. In any case, I consider myself lucky that I like my strat..

Ivan....................
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

John Ivan

« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2010, 02:01:58 AM »

wwittman wrote on Wed, 03 February 2010 23:22

predictable, if it's made after 1969

Again, for the most part true.. I've been both careful and lucky.. I really have to LOVE a guitar before I buy it and then I never sell them..

Tom, as you point out, I've played many LC strats that just 'laid there' and were thuddy and just wouldn't ring..

The LC's DON'T sound like an old strat.. But they can really sound great.. Man, that neck position really is something else on this damn thing.. It just sounds like blues music.

Ivan................

Madguitrst

« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2010, 02:14:36 PM »

The *sound* being referred to here is the result of over-compressed guitars using shitty compression pedals, which then went into a chorus pedal (and maybe compressed again....and sometimes directly into the board = no amp). I've heard and seen good guitars get stream-rolled into lifeless jangle-fest that way, regardless of the pickups used (might have even done it myself at times  Embarassed )

Personally, I can't stand sterile SC EMG sounds, don't care for Lace Sensors (LS not LC, JJ ?), much prefer Kinmans, DiMarzio, Lawrence, even Tom Anderson or stacked Duncan for noiseless SC sounds (I love P-90s, noise and all.....I'll even stand pointed and aimed as required sometimes just for that sound, if need be).

Still, put a decent guitar in my hands and whatever signal chain to follow, and I'll make interesting sounds.....I might not be able to make a JC sound like a JCM, but it'll be interesting.  Twisted Evil

The Madguitrst has left the building.....but not before commiting acts designed to offend the senses.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 16 queries.