R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Guitars hung on walls - Bad Idea?  (Read 2918 times)

Tricklecharge

Guitars hung on walls - Bad Idea?
« on: January 27, 2010, 02:01:40 AM »

So I have a small home studio that is 10x13ft 8ft ceiling.  This room serves as both control room and live room for recording guitars and keyboards (no percussion).  I really want to hang the 5 guitars that are usually lying ont he floor or propped, against a wall.
No acoustic treatments have been put up as of yet, I'm still getting a game plan together for that, but will hanging various guitars be detrimental to the acoustics in the room?  Would there be a prime location in the room to hang them?  
Any suggestions much appreciated.
"-Be regular and orderly in your life so that you may be violent and original in your work-"
 ..Gustave Flaubert..

Ethan Winer

Re: Guitars hung on walls - Bad Idea?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 05:38:46 PM »

Electric guitars should be fine, just hang them out of the way of direct reflections. I'd put them on the side walls behind where you sit. Acoustic guitars could be a problem because they'll vibrate sympathetically.

--Ethan

franman

Re: Guitars hung on walls - Bad Idea?
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 10:08:01 PM »

We have successfully integrated electric guitar hanging systems in control rooms a few times. Always towards the rear of the room on the side walls where spurious reflections because it can be hard to control the exact angle the guitars will hang at, will be less of an issue. They can actually be used (if you're clever about it) to deflect additional sound into the rear diffuse area.

Avoid the acoustics as Ethan says. They will become resonators and re-radiate sound into the room like drums sitting in a recording room.
Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
                 - Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 19 queries.