R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 003 or Profire 2626  (Read 3069 times)

adamjknight

003 or Profire 2626
« on: January 26, 2010, 07:16:52 PM »

Maybe this question has already been done, but i was wondering if there are any fresh insights into both of these options?

What's the feeling about both interfaces, can one be said to be better than the other?

What would you choose?

Really appreciate any insight!

mixwell

Re: 003 or Profire 2626
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 10:21:17 PM »

I have used an outdated M-Audio interface several years ago in my project studio. I wish I could switch the "grainy" sound off, but sadly you could not. I don't have much experience with this m-powered stuff, so sadly, I can't help you compare them. I've never liked the sound of the Digi hardware, but I refuse to let the tools stand in my way towards great audio.  

I think the choice here depends more on your needs than sonics- maybe?

Halfway Competent

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 01:17:49 AM »

mixwell wrote on Tue, 26 January 2010 19:21

I have used an outdated M-Audio interface several years ago in my project studio. I wish I could switch the "grainy" sound off, but sadly you could not. I don't have much experience with this m-powered stuff, so sadly, I can't help you compare them. I've never liked the sound of the Digi hardware, but I refuse to let the tools stand in my way towards great audio.  

You could (probably) improve the sound of either one by hooking up a Rosetta 800 or Lucid to the lightpipe inputs (limits you to 24/48 on the 003), and a two-channel converter to the S/PDIF inputs.  The 003 has word clock I/O, as well.

Keep in mind that, though the ProFire supports up to 26 simultaneous ins, Pro Tools M-Powered does not...  You can have a max of 18.  

All this said, my experience with M-Audio's interfaces begins and ends with the "Audiophile 24/96" card.  My 002R sounds richer and punchier than this card; I'm always dismayed with how my mixes sound when I play it back thru that card (for two-track CD prep, etc).  I bought this card probably about 10 years ago; maybe M-Audio stuff has improved, or the ProFire is better?  

NelsonL

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 01:55:37 AM »

Halfway Competent wrote on Tue, 26 January 2010 22:17

mixwell wrote on Tue, 26 January 2010 19:21

You could (probably) improve the sound of either one by hooking up a Rosetta 800 or Lucid to the lightpipe inputs (limits you to 24/48 on the 003), and a two-channel converter to the S/PDIF inputs.  The 003 has word clock I/O, as well.

Keep in mind that, though the ProFire supports up to 26 simultaneous ins, Pro Tools M-Powered does not...  You can have a max of 18.  

All this said, my experience with M-Audio's interfaces begins and ends with the "Audiophile 24/96" card.  My 002R sounds richer and punchier than this card; I'm always dismayed with how my mixes sound when I play it back thru that card (for two-track CD prep, etc).  I bought this card probably about 10 years ago; maybe M-Audio stuff has improved, or the ProFire is better?  

Even clocking an 002 (never tried an 003) to a humble masterlink via S/PDIF sounds a little better to me.

Haolemon

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 06:41:48 PM »

As an owner of an older M-Audio ProjectMix I/O, used in conjunction with PT M-powered, I should point out that I have noticed that M-powered and LE are diverging in terms of what add-ons and upgrades are available to them.  Depending on what you want to do, this may make a difference.

breathe

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 10:45:43 PM »

Stay away from the Profire!  The converters SUCK ASS.  The converters in the 003 are at least usable in my opinion.

Nicholas

burp182

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 03:43:45 PM »

Something very basic needs to be said here, in case the original poster is not aware - if you want to use Pro Tools software, you have to use Digidesign hardware (or M-Audio for Pro Tools M-Powered). If you like Pro Tools, the question is self answering. If you use something different, the question is an open one. You'd just need to track down the ASIO driver from the Digi website (not an easy task) for the 003.
Just so you know.

martthie_08

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 02:20:53 PM »

go for the 003 if you are recording into ProTools. Input monitoring is tricky with the Profire, I never found a reasonable way to do punch recordings with the M-Audio box, as Protools does not have a "software monitoring off" function (unlike Logic), you have to dismiss the nice hardware monitoring of the Profire, or you'll hear a nasty phasey mix of hardware and softare monitoring upon engaging record (unless you want to hit the mute button all the time). Regarding sound quality I cannot say if there is a difference, but for me the Profire is a troublemaker in the studio and I wish to get rid of it as soon as I get some higher end converters.

barney

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 10:35:53 PM »

I used it for a few months on a project because it has better connectivity than the 003.  I was able to use 18 outputs at 96k using smux with rosetta 800 and an DA on the spidf outputs. But as stated the software interface was a pain for overdubs, but there is a work around by muting tracks.  It worked ok but missed HD for ease of use.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 16 queries.