R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Starting out in L.A., what the hell have I gotten myself into  (Read 2463 times)

Mixed-up

Hey people,

I just moved here from Hawaii, and I'm still wondering why the hell I left in the first place.  I guess it's the fact that I want to be somewhere that actually has studios that aren't in a factory walk-in freezer or are run by complete idiots who can't even keep their gear in good shape.  Anyway, you all have a lot more experience in this town than me and I had one question about getting a runner or assistant position.   I've tried the alumni association route from my school and they're the most useless pieces of flesh on earth so I was going to start cold calling studios.  in your opinions is this a smart route to go.  Whats the feeling on just calling or walking into a studio with your resume in hand.  

digiengineer

Re: Starting out in L.A., what the hell have I gotten myself into
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 08:59:48 PM »

Mixed-up wrote on Wed, 28 July 2004 12:59

Hey people,

I just moved here from Hawaii, and I'm still wondering why the hell I left in the first place.  I guess it's the fact that I want to be somewhere that actually has studios that aren't in a factory walk-in freezer or are run by complete idiots who can't even keep their gear in good shape.

Ummmm... yeah... wrong place. Very Happy

Quote:

Anyway, you all have a lot more experience in this town than me and I had one question about getting a runner or assistant position.   I've tried the alumni association route from my school and they're the most useless pieces of flesh on earth so I was going to start cold calling studios.  in your opinions is this a smart route to go.  Whats the feeling on just calling or walking into a studio with your resume in hand.

1) What school did you go to? Believe it or not, many studio managers are very particular to what school you attended. If you didn't attend one of the major programs, you're going to have a tougher time walking in or cold calling.

2) What type of studio are looking at? Many of the big music studios are hurting and are not hiring; nor are runners moving up to assistants. Small ADR and and dub stages are popping up all over the place and they would be in better position to hire then somewhere like the Record Plant or Larrabee.

3) L.A. is overrun by folks in the same position you are, and with more experience. You're looking at 5 or 6 years before you make over $12.00 per hour and get locked into a stable position. If you're not willing to stick it out for that long... back home in Paradise might be the place for you.

L.A. is a tough town to catch a break in, especially now. There is no shame in considering other markets. Good Luck and let us know how it goes.
"The NS10's upstairs that aren't hooked up to anything.
I can just imagine how terrible everything will sound through them." -Podgorny

Bryan Jackson
Audio Systems Engineer

archtop

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2004, 11:39:58 AM »

digiengineer wrote on Wed, 28 July 2004 17:59

especially now. There is no shame in considering other markets. Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

The fruit market by Jimis house might be better
Richard Williams

Mixed-up

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2004, 07:55:41 PM »

Yo People

Thanks for the advice, I've currently found work as a game tester at a company in Santa Monica, hopfully it will develop into a sound design position some time in the future. Anyway I kind of assumed that the studios are in dire straits so I guess I just have to do it myself.  Oh and digiengineer I went to Berklee.

Peace

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 19 queries.