R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: What great taste America has!  (Read 3389 times)

Conner

What great taste America has!
« on: July 28, 2004, 02:16:38 PM »

Are we gluttons for punishment?
The number one album last week according to Nielsen Soundscam was Ashlee Simpson. Well over 400,000 copies. Is there any redeeming justice for us in the music business? Where is the integrity, and why isn't that at the top of the charts? Show me where (regionally) and I'll move right now!

Sorry...my girlfriend just dumped me, my bank account is overdrawn-again, and well Billboard.com just put me over the top.

I won't play the game...I won't do it.

j.hall

Re: What great taste America has!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 03:02:04 PM »

Conner wrote on Wed, 28 July 2004 13:16

I won't play the game...I won't do it.

i'd recommend playing the game with the bank....they tend to win.....ALL THE TIME

as for the music biz.  it is what it will always be.....

Bivouac

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2004, 06:13:35 PM »

Well, I don't know...

I'm sitting at work today listening to the local clear channel radio station and heard Modest Mouse, The Suicide Machines, The Refreshments, The Descendents (with a station ID from Bill Stevenson), Social Distortion, and The Smiths...

I'd say that was a pretty good day...

"Hi, this is Bill Stevenson of the Descendents, and you're listening to Channel 93.3..."

No Joke!  They've been in the top three of the request list since the album came out...

Jason Livermore

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2004, 11:37:28 PM »

I still can't believe its been on that station still.  But thats cool, I spent a long, long time on that record!

Jason Livermore
The Blasting Room
Ft. Collins, CO

Level

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2004, 04:14:49 AM »

PM me when it is prudent for me to break out my rendition of armpit-farts to put on rotation. It is hi-fi...or hi-foo...whatever is hip!
http://balancedmastering.com

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

Conner

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2004, 08:55:16 AM »

Hey Livermore,

I'd feel much better if you could PM me a case of Fat Tire. No, seriously, I swear I would.

j.hall

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2004, 11:38:40 AM »

keep your chin up man.  

i love this fugazi quote, it's my "life sucks i'll keep trying" anthem.

"the tools they will be swinging, but we will not be beaten down"

fat tire is boring.  the new belgium 1554 is my new fav.

Conner

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2004, 11:52:54 AM »

Thanks for the good quote...They never cease to amaze.
On that note will they tour again? I saw them 3 years ago, but nothing since.

1554 huh? I would love to try it. I drool over the Fat Tire primarily because we can't get it here. I swear everyone here considers it the golden nectar of the gods.

On the up side, my first project is being shipped from discmakers now and should have it in a couple of days!

j.hall

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2004, 01:25:05 PM »

i saw fugazi about a year ago in support of the argument

they make you leave the show embarassed that you claim to be in a band.  they are so tight it's silly

i've seen them three times now and it's just absurd how ON they are.

they toured the east coast prior to that with shellac.....wish they would have come close to me

1554 is like a pumped up new castle.

a little heavier in flavor, a tiny bit sweeter, very smooth, and rich.......I LOVE IT.

Jason Livermore

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2004, 02:55:25 PM »

Conner,

I will have some Fat Tire this evening in your honor.

J, never tried the 1554, maybe I'll have some tonight as well.

Carry on.

Jason Livermore

Conner

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2004, 03:28:56 PM »

Cheers Gentlemen!

j.hall

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2004, 03:33:01 PM »

if you like new castle you'll love 1554.

ahuimanu

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2004, 06:47:40 AM »

That is just capitalism/consumerism playing its hand.  If you reflect on your own life, some part of what makes you tick (something that makes you happy mind you) is indellibly and profoundly impacted by the same machine that makes 440,000 sales of Ashlee Simpson.  I suppose we have to take the ups with the downs.  In any case, if things like Ashlee/Jessican Simpson were not a fact of life, we wouldn't be posting in an "indie/alternative" forum, now would we?

Consider the alternate universe theory where Ashlee IS the underground!  Shocked

Conner

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2004, 08:43:22 AM »

Ironically, in her mind...she is. I'm pretty sure she does. And well hey, more power to her.  I'm the best pop radio producer that has never had a single on the radio!!!

Etch-A-Sketch

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2004, 08:36:13 PM »

SoundScan and BDS are flawed reporting systems that can easily be taken advantage of.  Most of the Major labels know this and know how to skew their numbers to reflect positively on their artists....but it's expensive...so they only usually do it for certain artists.  I don't know if they used some of these "tricks" for Ashlee or not, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they did.  

That's why I pretty much gave up on reading the Billboard charts a long time ago.  It's a popularity contest where the person with the most money behind them will be the one at the top of the charts.
Derek Jones
Audio Engineer

"I always say I can teach anyone HOW to get a great snare sound, I just can't teach WHAT a great snare sound is.” -Dave Pensado

kato

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2004, 06:30:04 PM »

Conner wrote on Tue, 03 August 2004 13:43

Ironically, in her mind...she is. I'm pretty sure she does. And well hey, more power to her.  I'm the best pop radio producer that has never had a single on the radio!!!

I was fixated one day on the lameness that was the Ashlee Simpson show (on MTV.) I couldn't stop watching.

At one point she complained of her producer, "He's trying to make me into another Hilary Duff!" as if she had some sort of integrity Hilary Duff couldn't touch.

It was
so funny
I laughed
and laughed.

Kato

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2004, 12:13:41 PM »

Hey, Annette of Walt Disney's original Mouseketeers was even worse but she had several #1s. People need to get over the fact that movie and tv stars can always sell a lot of records to their fans. It doesn't mean others can't.

It just means that they've got to be good enough to engage enough fans that they can REDEFINE radio. Presley did it, the Beatles did it, we did it at Motown and somebody else can certainly do it. I hate that word "alternative" because it implies that anything good must always be a second class citizen. People really need to stop giving away their power by believing in and thus giving power to hype.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.