R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting started; the basics of digital recording  (Read 6230 times)

laughingbear

Re: Getting started; the basics of digital recording
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2004, 09:55:14 PM »

Max Foreman wrote on Thu, 29 July 2004 20:56

As for my experiecnce, I'm a classically trained pianist.....

Greetings,

I was in a similiar situation. I studied masterclass in germany long ago, and 2 years ago got the funny idea to get into recording using puters and whatelese can be used....

Knew nuttin about anything, other than somewhat literate in computers!

Over the period of 2 years I made wrong decisions that cost me a few bucks, for example, I bought gear that I thought is useful for the entire recording process, such as a 8 channel tube-inline  and a 24bit digital multiband etc. etc.

I walked straight into the trap that I found on the website of a german manufacturer called behringer. After wondering why this was the only one I found with prices so low that I found it hard to believe, I should have listened to my gut feeling, I ordered a bunch of stuff, couple of patchbays, and build my first outboard rack.

Now, while it was a valuable experience to get my hands dirty and build a rack, learning the concept of patchbays and their multiple ways, today nothing of that particular gear is left in my recording process.

I did not even bother to sell it, because I find it is not worth asking money for to be honest, I just gave it away to people who seem to find something to it and well, whatever makes em happy.

I could tell you more bad decisions I took, but this example alone is meant to show you that you are best advised to make sensible decisions when purchasing gear.

I do not know if you ever played on a synth, if not, you are in for a big disappointment when it comes to the key action, there are only a handful of "acceptable" 88-keys out there which would serve your needs as a pianist, Kawai MP9500 or Gem Promega3 to name a few, and even those high priced keyboards are not even close to the real thing, but they are quite good compared with whats on offer ususally on a stagepiano/keyboard/Synth. I can exercise on them if needed without ruining my technique. However, they are not constructed to withstand a permanent "etudes-tableaux-treatment", get my drift?

I thought that's worth mentioning.

In your budget limitations, I would think of investing into a really good recording card/system. Whereby really good means that it can stand aside with the best of the best out there without being ashamed. The converters analog to digital and digital to analog are the crux here besides other things.

I can only think of a few that can claim that, and the top of the list would be the LYNX. http://www.lynxstudio.com/ that is now fully OSX enabled.

Seems to me you are in the right place to ask for advise. If I would have known about this place when I started I could have avoided many errors of judgement.

Allow me a question, what music are you planing on making and for what target media?

This may sound a studpid question, but if you are planing to go into scoring music for film, your requirements would differ from a setup where you would make music for CD only.

A last thing for now, sampling obviosuly is a big thing in the audio world, and as the classical educated person you are, it might interest you that there is a solution out there which enables you to have a complete orchestra at your disposal in a unsurpassed quality. It is the best of the best..... but see for yourself.... The user forum on this site is also worth lurking around for a while....

http://vsl.co.at/index.html

P.S.
Why did no one tell me before about this accumulation of knowledgable and helpful people here?  Rolling Eyes  Laughing
Peace

~^..^~
Yonawadotsi

David Schober

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2004, 10:44:50 AM »

Hi Max,

I can understand you wanting to part with your harrd earned money to get into this business.  It's a hard, but very rewarding way to earn a living.

My comment to you would be to consider, instead of going right away for some gear, to instead, as mentioned above, find a way to gain an entrance into a studio or even become an apprentice to someone in the Bay Area.  Most of the engineers I know that are good have gone this route.  Now I will say that in this new age, one can put together recording equipment in a home, where in the past, (my past!) it wasn't really possible.  From time to time I meet an engineer who's learned his craft on their own, and I must say, they are at a real disadvantage.  There are few people who will be able, on their own to learn enough, quickly enough, compared to being in the room with an experienced engineer.  I can't tell you of the many invaluable lessons I learned from watching some great engineers.  While you may be able to stumble on to some things here and there, you'll most likely be banging your head against a wall over things that you'd learn just by watching and asking questions.

Additionally, since our work is compeletly dependant on knowing poeple who can hire you, working in an environment, like a studio, gives you a chance to meet others who will be your clients.

I know that the idea of buying gear is exciting.  And I can imagine the thought of your money going to expenses instead of gear might seem to be money lost.  However, I'd rather see someone like yourself spend time (and money) learning well how to use the gear, rather than being merely an owner.  You know what I mean?  As you are a  trained musician, you can appreciate the concept.  Buying a great Steinway won't make you a great player.  Better to spend your money on lessons, get more modest piano first.  Then you'll have the chops to earn a more money to get the Steinway.
David Schober

Johnny B

« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2004, 04:31:54 PM »

There are many good points here... all of them valid...despite their seeming contradictory nature. Well worth taking the time to consider them all.

As one idea, you could post a piece of gear or kit up here that you were thinking of buying and ask others is they have any opinion about it. That process will probably be a lesson in and of itself. YMMV

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality,
they are not certain; as far as they are certain,
they do not refer to reality."
---Albert Einstein---

I'm also uncertain about everything.

rphilbeck

« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2004, 12:03:56 AM »

Sorry Max.  When you said "new to digital recording" I thought you meant you were coming over from analog, but you're actually new to the whole concept of recording.  

Don't buy anything.  Put all of your money into index funds (except about $1000.00), and study real hard for your classes.

Take your 1k and find a local small studio that offers one of those package deals where they'll make you a 5 song EP for $850.00 bucks.  Tell them you'd like to learn a few things about the recording process during the sessions, but you promise not to make a nusaince of yourself.  You'll learn more this way than the way your thinking about doing it, and it will cost you way less.  

After you make your EP, you can ask those guys if you could intern at the studio in exchange for watching and learning more of what they're doing.

Afterwards, you won't need to come here asking perfect strangers how you should spend your money cause you'll already know what you're needs are, and what you need to buy to accomadate them.

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 20 queries.