R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drawmer 1968 Anyone?  (Read 8258 times)

Ryan Slowey

Drawmer 1968 Anyone?
« on: January 13, 2010, 12:14:07 PM »

Don't have a review of this myself, but I'm wondering if anyone with experience using a 1968 would be willing to share their thoughts.

I've been thinking about some different stereo compression options for both mono/stereo tracking, AND stereo buss duties (OH, kit, guitars...), including the mix buss. I record everything from rock, to metal, to folk and blues, so versatility is important. In tracking, I'm looking for something that works well on things like kick, snare, bass, ac. guitar, room mics, etc. On the mix buss, I'm looking for a compressor to add that bit of "glue" to make things more cohesive and move together.

I like gear with character, but the capability of transparency is often desirable as well.

I'm also wondering how useful the "BIG" switch is in controlling how the lowend affects the compression.

I'm not rich, so I can't afford say, an API 2500, so the price point of the Drawmer is appealing. Another consideration is the new Daking stereo comp, but even that is a bit above my budget.

My only other comps are a Distressor, DBX 160X, and Symetrix 501. At the moment, pretty much all of my stereo compression is happening ITB with a Massey CT4. It's very useful and excellent sounding plug-in, but would love to get OTB, especially on the mix buss.

Appreciate any info.

Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

My music: http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

compasspnt

Re: Drawmer 1968 Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 12:51:28 PM »

Don't know it (although I have two of the older Drawmer 1960's, which are differet animals).

Other options though might be:

*If you happen to have an API L200 rack (prob not) two of the 235 comps would be much less expensive, and I would suspect better.

*If you happen to have a 500 rack, two of the API 527 comps would be about the same price.

There is also the Langevin (Manley) ELOP.

Ryan Slowey

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 01:19:55 PM »

compasspnt wrote on Wed, 13 January 2010 12:51

Don't know it (although I have two of the older Drawmer 1960's, which are differet animals).

Other options though might be:

*If you happen to have an API L200 rack (prob not) two of the 235 comps would be much less expensive, and I would suspect better.

*If you happen to have a 500 rack, two of the API 527 comps would be about the same price.

There is also the Langevin (Manley) ELOP.

No API racks here, unfortunately. The Manley and Langevin ELOP have always been of interest to me, as I see them go for decent prices pretty frequently on the used market, but I wasn't sure if an opto comp would be the best thing for mix buss duties, due to lack of att/rel controls... but then again, maybe that simplicity is a good thing.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

My music: http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

bleen

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 11:27:59 PM »

Check out the new Foote Control Systems P3S (aka "Iron Foote"). This replaced an API 2500 as my 2-bus compressor and it's stunning. Big, fat, Carnhill trannies that can be switched out of the audio path if you really need transparency, feed-forward or feed-back, HPF sidechain, auto or manual attack & release.

I have S/N 002! Shocked

NelsonL

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 02:53:44 AM »

bleen wrote on Wed, 13 January 2010 20:27

Check out the new Foote Control Systems P3S (aka "Iron Foote"). This replaced an API 2500 as my 2-bus compressor and it's stunning. Big, fat, Carnhill trannies that can be switched out of the audio path if you really need transparency, feed-forward or feed-back, HPF sidechain, auto or manual attack & release.

I have S/N 002! Shocked

Is this a cousin to the Roger Foote Pico series of compressors? I've been curious about those for a while.

bleen

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 09:50:28 AM »

NelsonL wrote on Wed, 13 January 2010 23:53

Is this a cousin to the Roger Foote Pico series of compressors? I've been curious about those for a while.

I believe it is; the Pico is now the P3500 - mono, 500-series and lacking the Carnhill transformers of the rack version.

Deuce 225

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 10:16:21 PM »

We used the Drawmer 1968 Mercenary Edition on bass for this album we recorded in the Summer 2009. This song is an early 80's Rick 4001 => Ampeg B15 => Heil PR 40 => API 3124 => Drawmer 1968 Mercenary Edition (Fat Switch engaged).  Listen to the song "Hold Me Sweet" here:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=987036

I also have an old Tape Op around here somewhere that did a decent overview of the compressor. If I can find it, I'll post the issue date and volume.

Best,

Tim Cochran
Best,

Tim Cochran

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 19 queries.