R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Amp boxes ..  (Read 1320 times)

John Ivan

Amp boxes ..
« on: July 27, 2004, 12:02:47 PM »

Hey all,

I have a good buddy in Michigan who is trying to Record his rock band in one big space. I think we're talking about 40x40 or so. This is plenty of room to get the job done and I've made good records in smaller places.. In the interest of isolation,he is making plywood boxes to hide the 4x12 guitar cabs in the corners of the room. He wants to use the two walls of the corner and just build the other two walls out of 5/8" ply. I have told him I thought this is a bad idea and the boxes will have bumps all over the place in the low end and getting a tone will be a drag. Am I nuts or is this a bad Idea? Maybe he can end up carving out a tone but wont the small space and high spl add up to very strange tones?

Thanks for your Ideas..... Ivan..........
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

Invisible Member

Re: Amp boxes ..
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2004, 01:46:20 PM »

I have a box exactly as you've described. Its only moderately isolated but depending on what your trying to do it can work and it cannot work. I use mine where I know that Im close mic'ing and the room is removed from the equation. I also have layers of several blankets and foam to limit any movement of air except locally by the mic. Im usually compressing it at 6:1 with fast attack and release. I do have a vocal/isolation booth for getting more bloom and a 23' by 15' room with lots of lively surfaces.  The box serves its purpose when doing "certain" things. The bad thing about attaching it to existing walls is that at loud volumes it transfer alot of low end vibrations into the surrounding structures. I'd build a floating 6 sided box knowing what I do now. The real trick it making it broadband dead so the mic only gets the speaker.

Peace,
Dennis

John Ivan

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2004, 09:57:56 PM »

Dennis wrote on Tue, 27 July 2004 12:46

I have a box exactly as you've described. Its only moderately isolated but depending on what your trying to do it can work and it cannot work. I use mine where I know that Im close mic'ing and the room is removed from the equation. I also have layers of several blankets and foam to limit any movement of air except locally by the mic. Im usually compressing it at 6:1 with fast attack and release. I do have a vocal/isolation booth for getting more bloom and a 23' by 15' room with lots of lively surfaces.  The box serves its purpose when doing "certain" things. The bad thing about attaching it to existing walls is that at loud volumes it transfer alot of low end vibrations into the surrounding structures. I'd build a floating 6 sided box knowing what I do now. The real trick it making it broadband dead so the mic only gets the speaker.

Peace,
Dennis

Thanks Dennis;

I dig the fact that it will isolate the amp from the rest of the room but, My concern is how drastically it will change the sound of the box. I can see how it can be useful though if one takes into consideration the fact that they will need to EQ the hell out of the results. [or the head going in} the 6 sided box floating is a fine idea. I'll send that on to him. I am building a new room and have some space so, I was thinking about amp closets with more space that wont change the sound of the box so much.

It will be interesting to hear the results of all three of these methods. I believe he will be insulating the inside of these boxes big time. I'll let you know.

Thanks again for the reply.
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

floodstage

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2004, 01:15:19 PM »

If he does build the box out of plywood, I'd suggest lining the insides of the box w/703 board.  Bare plywood will reflect sound like crazy.  The 703 board will help control (not eliminate) the reflections.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 16 queries.