R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bye-Bye Media????  (Read 13670 times)

Bonati

Re: Bye-Bye Media????
« Reply #75 on: January 25, 2010, 04:47:17 PM »

The German label Raster-Noton sells some of their releases on SD cards as well as CD / downloads / vinyl.
Josh Bonati
Brooklyn, NY
www.bonatimastering.com

masterhse

« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2010, 07:47:40 AM »

David Glasser wrote on Mon, 25 January 2010 12:15

Bassist Dean Peer released his lastest on a USB card with 96k 24 Bit files

This is a great idea. The killer for Internet based distribution is high resolution audio (at least until average bandwidth becomes greater still). If physical media is to survive beyond reasons for "owning it" this would be it. Fancy packaging just doesn't seem as relevent as it used to be.

Of course one could argue that SACD should have been a success then, but having to purchase yet another player and media not as portable as a USB based device might be a different story.
Tom Volpicelli
The Mastering House Inc.
CD Mastering and Media Production Services

Thomas W. Bethel

« Reply #77 on: January 26, 2010, 09:13:59 AM »

One thing I have noticed as my interns get into vinyl is that they will sit and listen to a whole side of an album, while doing so they will read the cover and the printed liner. I don't see many of them reading CD covers or sitting down and listening to the whole CD. Most times out comes the remote and they cherry pick the songs they want to hear. Maybe one reason that music has become what it has become is because the CD and IPODs allow instant music gratification and you don't have to do anything except sit in your easy chair or driver's seat and push a button. Can you imagine watching TV today without a remote control???

We have become a country of having everything NOW and having it OUR WAY (burgers to Ipod music lists). Music is no longer a thing to be listened to in your living room for long periods of time. It has become portable and expendable and if it is not NOW you simply push the button and something new comes up. Music has also become a background noise source and as such does not really MEAN anything like it did in the 60's and 70's when you actually sat down and listened to music in your living or dorm room and learned to appreciate it.

Interesting topic!

YMMV

-TOM-

Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
Room With a View Productions
http://www.acoustikmusik.com/

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.

bblackwood

« Reply #78 on: January 26, 2010, 10:15:11 AM »

Thomas W. Bethel wrote on Tue, 26 January 2010 08:13

We have become a country of having everything NOW and having it OUR WAY (burgers to Ipod music lists). Music is no longer a thing to be listened to in your living room for long periods of time. It has become portable and expendable and if it is not NOW you simply push the button and something new comes up. Music has also become a background noise source and as such does not really MEAN anything like it did in the 60's and 70's when you actually sat down and listened to music in your living or dorm room and learned to appreciate it.

Well, that borders on an entirely new topic of discussion, but music is not only more portable now (helping to foster a more 'instantaneous' attitude) but it's also competing for the finite amount of time and money people can spend on entertainment.
Quote:

Interesting topic!

Agreed - I find discussion like this very interesting. Lots of good points made from various positions.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Viitalahde

« Reply #79 on: January 26, 2010, 10:23:06 AM »

One thing I find interesting is how people use music as a "score" to their everyday life. Different moments and different environments call for a different type of sonic background.

This in turn is one of the reasons why I don't see physical formats making it in the long run. Eventually you'll want to have your music library everywhere, connected to everything.

But there will be people who appreciate the whole thing starting from cover art. Everything has an opposite force, IMO.
Jaakko Viitalähde
Virtalähde Mastering, Kuhmoinen/Finland
http://www.virtalahde.com
   http://www.facebook.com/pages/Helsinki-Finland/Virtalahde-Ma stering/278311633180

andsonic

« Reply #80 on: January 26, 2010, 03:52:19 PM »

longtime lurker...

I found it interesting that in my first foray (in years) into a consumer electronics store (Best Buy)that the Blu-ray players being sold all had internet connectivity.  The big thing seemed to be Netflix or Youtube streaming.
Seems like the hardware guys are positioning themselves defensively for the next big wave.
Jason Andrews
Mixing/Mastering Engineer
Studio E - Northern California
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 19 queries.