R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: good mic's for minimal drum mic'ing for rock?  (Read 9847 times)

aeser

good mic's for minimal drum mic'ing for rock?
« on: July 27, 2004, 09:43:14 AM »

i'm currently using just an akg d112 on the kick and sennheiser md421 on the snare and a pair of akg c1000s's for overheads, the md421 i dig and have no problem keeping but the d112 and c1000s's i can't stand and would like something better.

since the last recording seminar i attended pointed out the importance of good overheads (before i had mistakingly thought of overheads as just pretty much mic's to pick up cymbals, but since realized that they are to pick up all the drums in a manner which is very pleasing to the ear and more natural sounding, and that you actually get most of the tone of the drums from the overheads and only use the snare and kick to boost it in volume a bit if needed) i realize a good pair of overheads are essential, and a better kick mic would help out a lot too. i was planning on picking up an api 3124+ 4 channel mic pre for my RADAR, and wanted to get a good core minimal set of mic's to track drums with.

the pair i heard and friggin loved as overheads were neumann u87's but that's a little out of my pricerange for just the overheads (wouldn't really be able to spend over $2000 for the pair of overheads) but i'm looking for something similarly full frequency response that pick up the cymbals and snare and toms and a little bit of kick in a nice balanced way, and possibly which would be complimented by the api 3124+ pre.

any suggestions would be most appreciated.

trexrox

Re: good mic's for minimal drum mic'ing for rock?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2004, 10:03:56 AM »

Yes, C1000's do suck for overheads... How do I know?  Because I've used them before...  But do keep one around, they're actually not a bad hi-hat mic, and can be useful on some other things as well...

Let's see... my favorite overhead mics are Neumann KM84's... not something you see mentioned around here very often, but I've recorded drums on just about every project at my studio with these mics and have had great results each time... and can get different sounds, depending on placement/eq/compresssion...  They pair up very nicely with API Mic Pres, too.  I got mine for just over $1500... but I don't know what they're going for these days.

I would suggest getting a different kik mic too.  OR try the 421 on kik and the C1000 on snare (yes, it actually sounds good, just has a lot of bleed and may contain too much hihat).

Spooner

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2004, 04:24:17 PM »

We're currently using Josephson's C42MP as overheads. They're brilliant!!
$950 for a matched pair at Mercenary.
Best,
Spooner

"The only thing worse than kicking a dead horse is saddling one." Unknown engineer referring to a bad mix getting worse

aeser

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2004, 06:44:20 PM »

Spooner wrote on Tue, 27 July 2004 16:24

i was considering these. are they full sounding? my c1000s's are tinny sounding and i hate it. looking to get a full drum sound just out of the overheads.

thanks

Etch-A-Sketch

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2004, 06:47:40 PM »

For moderately priced overheads...I would probably recommend a pair of AKG C414B/ULS or C414TLII's.

I personally love to use 414B/ULS' on toms and the TLII can sound great on Snare for certain applications.  Plus you could use them later down the line for other instruments.  

Some people like the Shure KSM32/44 for overheads but I feel it's a little too big on the bottom end for overheads.  They work great as tom mics and are KILLER as a second kick drum mic (on the outside picking up the front head).

I sometimes like the D112, sometimes I don't.  Try the D112 with a KSM32 out in front of the kick.  I usually like the D112 a lot better when I combine it with another mic.  Some other good kick drum mics in your price range would probably be a Shure Beta52 or an Audix D6.

Personally I think you'd be better off putting the 421 inside the kick with something like a KSM44 outside...get an SM57 for the Snare and maybe some C414s for overheads.

Someone else mentioned the Neumann KM84s.  Those are great! They updated them and now they are called the KM184s.  I love them on hihat but sometimes they are a little too bright for overheads (for my taste).  I use them when I want more cymbals than anything else in the overheads.  don't get me wrong, those little guys have some great bass response, but they always sound bright to me.  I love them on acoustic guitar too!

Anyway...that's my $.02.

Derek Jones
Audio Engineer

"I always say I can teach anyone HOW to get a great snare sound, I just can't teach WHAT a great snare sound is.” -Dave Pensado

redelephant

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2004, 06:49:35 PM »

aeser wrote on Tue, 27 July 2004 23:44

i was considering these. are they full sounding? my c1000s's are tinny sounding and i hate it. looking to get a full drum sound just out of the overheads.

thanks

Have you should tried any LD condensor mics? May I suggest a pair of 414 B-ULS or TL-II's, 4050's, or U195s?

Tube mics work pretty well for capturing the entire kit.

Roland Storch

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2004, 05:22:36 AM »

For OH I like a pair of Schoeps MK2 (omni) if the room is good - I used them even on some live recordings.
The Neumann KM84 (cardiod) is very good too.

Also I like the Sennheiser MKH40 for cymbals, less as a OH main pair.

At my last recording I tried  pair of Audio Technica AT4050 and was really surprised with a good result.

As with all instruments the choice of microphones very much depends on the player, the drum set and the room. So I think in general OH mics have to be high quality microphones as it is with all main pairs or main arrays (XY, AB, ORTF, Decca Tree (not for OH), ....). That why also a pair of U89, U87, DPA 4000 series, ... could work - has anybody tried Neumann M50?

Fletcher

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2004, 06:59:35 AM »

During the MOAW down at WireWorld, we tried a pair of Microtech Gefell M-930's for overheads on one of the setups... it was frighteningly good.

Overbudget in this case, and frankly I've rarely ever had a problem with a pair of C-42's... but frighteningly good none the less.  As always, YMMV.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Spooner

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2004, 08:11:14 AM »

aeser wrote on Wed, 28 July 2004 00:44

thanks

Well, it all depends on how full you want them to be. They pick up the entire kit in a very good way, but I still need to close-mic the kit. If you're looking for more "fat" in your overheads maybe you should consider LDC mics instead.
Best,
Spooner

"The only thing worse than kicking a dead horse is saddling one." Unknown engineer referring to a bad mix getting worse

aeser

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2004, 10:02:11 AM »

Fletcher wrote on Wed, 28 July 2004 06:59

During the MOAW down at WireWorld, we tried a pair of Microtech Gefell M-930's for overheads on one of the setups... it was frighteningly good.

Overbudget in this case, and frankly I've rarely ever had a problem with a pair of C-42's... but frighteningly good none the less.  As always, YMMV.

those are over what i paid, but only slightly so ($400 when i was talking about $2000 total anyway) i think i might go this route none the less. once i'm done with this wedding crap.

i basically want an amazing pair of overheads and a decent mic to boost the kick and a decent mic to boost the snare and these look damn nice.

do you know where i'd get one of those mic holder splitter things like in the picture on your site for them so i could mount 2 on 1 boom stand?

trexrox

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2004, 10:48:57 AM »

Etch-A-Sketch wrote on Tue, 27 July 2004 18:47

Someone else mentioned the Neumann KM84s.  Those are great! They updated them and now they are called the KM184s.  I love them on hihat but sometimes they are a little too bright for overheads (for my taste).  I use them when I want more cymbals than anything else in the overheads.  don't get me wrong, those little guys have some great bass response, but they always sound bright to me.  I love them on acoustic guitar too!

Yes, but KM 84's are a different mic compared to the 184 (hence the rename) and the 84's sound MUCH better.  So much better that I wouldn't consider using a pair of 184's unless it was the only option.  The 184's are a bit brighter and harsher sounding in comparison... not ideal if you are doing digital recording, but OK if you are going to tape.

I have found that coming in over the Drummer's head and pointing the mics almost directly at the toms, you can get a good balance of the whole drum kit, and PLENTY of toms in the mics.  They have a very nice response for toms and with a little bit of compression can sound really rockin!  I use mine for the whole kit all the time.  It's just a matter of placement.  Sure, if you mic in a configuration that picks up more cymbals, they will.  But you can use the off-axis response of these mics to get the cymbals balanced very nicely.

PRobb

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2004, 12:52:07 AM »

Quote:

i basically want an amazing pair of overheads and a decent mic to boost the kick and a decent mic to boost the snare and these look damn nice.

You're talking "kick, snare and a pair". Don't get hung up on the word "overhead". The "pair" is the basic sound of the kit and the close mics are there to add a bit of attack to the  kick and snare. A great place for the pair is in front of the kit at the height of the top of the rack toms, centered on the kick. the distance between the mics and the kit, and the spacing of the pair control the "roominess" and spread. Angling the mics up or down control the mix of cymbals to drums. I've had great results with this technique with 121s, 4038s, 184s. 84s, 87s and 414s. The only catch is the real stereo spread of the kit which means the snare will be a bit off center, but thats where it is in the kit.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
-Edmund Burke

dejacky

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2004, 05:20:01 AM »

I feel I can achieve respectable results with my Oktava MK012 pair of cardoid condenser mics ($99 total for both!).
-dejacky

Fletcher

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2004, 07:43:48 AM »

Spooner wrote on Wed, 28 July 2004 08:11

Well, it all depends on how full you want them to be. They pick up the entire kit in a very good way, but I still need to close-mic the kit. If you're looking for more "fat" in your overheads maybe you should consider LDC mics instead.

yayayayaya....whoa... LDC mics's don't sound "fatter" than SDC mic's, generally different, sure... but not necessarily fatter.  If anything SDC mics [on an average] sound clearer and truer to the character of the event... LDC's will bring their own set of values to the party, but with a few exceptions, it's not necessarily a "fatter" sounding event.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

toolskid666

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2004, 02:43:36 PM »

how's about ribbons - beyer 160s are great for kit mics and are pretty reasonably priced too!
Emre Ramazanoglu
Producer-engineer-programmer-drummer
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 16 queries.