R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is this an effective bass trap design?  (Read 4778 times)

suds

Is this an effective bass trap design?
« on: January 09, 2010, 08:05:20 PM »

Should I attempt to build these or go with Ethan's other easier design of fibreglass sheet with a foil membrane FRK on top - that seems a very easy thing to build - am i missing something in the design of the later?
thanks.

Ethan Winer

Re: Is this an effective bass trap design?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 03:31:47 PM »

How big is your room? For smaller rooms I generally recommend traps based on rigid fiberglass, rather than the wood panel traps in my plans article. From the beginning of that article:

Quote:

Please understand that the bass traps described in this article are intended mainly for larger rooms. For rooms smaller than 25 by 15 feet you'll usually do better with broadband bass traps made from thick rigid fiberglass placed in the room corners. This is described in my Acoustics FAQ linked above. Once all of the corners are treated, then it makes sense to consider adding bass traps like these flat on the walls.

--Ethan

suds

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 06:29:43 PM »

Hi ethan, thanks for the reply -  here is pic of the room. the design for the traps is based on your dimensions.

Ethan Winer

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 04:43:21 PM »

Actually, that mostly looks pretty good. But I'd use panel traps only on the flat parts of walls (away from reflection points), and use very thick rigid fiberglass in the corners.

--Ethan

reallyryan

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 06:50:45 PM »

Thanks for the ideas guys, been thinking of making my own bass traps for awhile, I'd love to try this out... let me know how it ends up!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 19 queries.