R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Your thoughts of the Iosono system  (Read 1932 times)

Level

Your thoughts of the Iosono system
« on: July 27, 2004, 07:50:24 AM »

http://www.iosono-sound.com/

Ongoing research into the way sound is manipulated. Your thoughts of emerging technologies of this kind and simalar.

Thanks.
http://balancedmastering.com

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

Johnny B

Re: Your thoughts of the Iosono system
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2004, 01:55:08 AM »

Bill,

I read thru the entire site above, it looks very interesting.
The fact that they did a demo at Todd-AO suggests they are rather serious about all this. It would be interesting to get some feedback from those who attended.

It appears that may be using some kind of wavelet technology which I am completely ignorant of and led me to call someone at Dolby Labs to see if I could get a quick and dirty explanation. The expert in this tech had to run off to a meeting but suggested I look for an introductory text on wavelet by "Burrus" or "Burris." Naturally, I first encountered the term "wavelet" right here on this forum which shows what a fantastic source of information this forum is for people.

Hundreds of speakers spread throughout a theatre or venue? I'd like to hear it.  

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality,
they are not certain; as far as they are certain,
they do not refer to reality."
---Albert Einstein---

I'm also uncertain about everything.

George Massenburg

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2004, 08:44:19 AM »

I've heard this system in several venues over the past two years.  Wieslaw Woszczyk and I heard this together at Fraunhoffer in Ilmenau and were blown away.  He then made arrangements to bring a smallish demo system to McGill in Montreal where they did research for the better part of a year.  Most recently I've heard their new demonstration in Berlin, and was impressed all over again; they had implemented some new automation and had a great demo.

It's impressive in a way that current multichannel simply isn't: mainly the ability to present an utterly convincing demonstration of depths, it's really3-D.  One of the demos in the demonstration theater in Ilmenau was an animation of a vase falling off of a table and rolling around the "room" - a virtual room in which you're in the center.  Close your eyes and you're not in a small cinema, you are absolutely in another - in this case this virtual, room.

One wants to say that this technique, commonly refered to as Wavefront Synthesis, is going to be huge once the price tag gets driven down.

Also to do: currently the technique is being deployed in one plane.  It's been suggested that it should do vertical as well.  At the same time the already-daunting number of reproducers grows immensely.

Still...

George Massenburg

Johnny B

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2004, 02:32:18 PM »

Well if GM is "impressed," it ought to be great with a few more tweaks. What kind of mics, desks, and so on will be necessary to take full advantage of this tech. and what kind of new formats will we need...Will it catch fire and take off?

Will we see and hear it at the movies first? The q's are endless...

But it it makes for a better listening experience as seems the case, who would not want this tech to be extremely successful.

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality,
they are not certain; as far as they are certain,
they do not refer to reality."
---Albert Einstein---

I'm also uncertain about everything.

Level

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2004, 04:49:14 PM »

Thank you George for your response. The height simulation can be adjusted simply by changing the way the loudspeakers are splayed. Usual spaying uses conventional implosion technology. To get as some vertical cues, one must look into a different type of output parameter that really needs not have the usual multiplicity of drivers, rather, employment of active acoustics in conjunction with active devices. Having 100's of drivers is old school for this. It can be accomplished with wave synthesis in a scaled down platform but some of the key ideas to this are still under development. This type of acoustic manipulation will find itself in a much smaller and much more viable package in the next few years.

Will studio engineers embrace the format? Lets certainly hope "yes" and not "confusion of what to do"

My studies in this arena have certainly made me become a "hell of a lot better" 2 channel engineer. Once the mind is exposed to what "can be" then doing things with "what you have", takes on a whole new level of possibilities.

Certainly, one who has experienced "waveform synthesis in the art of acoustic projection" will do things at a different plateau!

These studies are really doing real things. I find the paradigm shift to be something perhaps in our lifetime, we can all not only experience but be active in the reconfiguration of our archives to work well with the plethora of processes open to the engineers and of course the end users.

I posted this to see where the minds of my peers are in respect to these kinds of major advances in the capture and reproduction of sound. I actually think (hope) that when audiophiles catch a glimpse of this truly amazing technology, they will actually abandon the idea of 2 channel once and for all. If not audiophiles, then everyone else! This is nothing like "surround sound" This is actually making a constructed pattern of air motion emulate what the actual physical item in time and space would do with the air motion. These ways of constructing and synthetically manipulating the actual pressure zones of air motion are definitely the future. It will also render the copyright and artist production issues in a new form of resolve. Think of the hardware/software and ability to have something truly "hack-proof"! Producing these systems in a smaller scale and affordable for both studio, artist and end user is the key.

Getting this technology noticed is the other.

So many people are so mindset in what they feel is the way things should be. One listen to this technology certainly changes all of that.

BTW, 64bit platforms are making this work so much more viable than ever. 128 bit platforms may be the key to making this technology something easy to render and embrace as something that should eventually become "mainstream"

From Mono to Stereo, to 4 channel to surround, I cannot think of another advancement in audio that would not be more natural.

The flat earthers will certainly rebuke it...but thanks to those with open minds and a willingness to push the evolution of audio, this may just happen in my lifetime. I am certainly doing my part in this...whatever it may be..

Quote:

I've heard this system in several venues over the past two years. Wieslaw Woszczyk and I heard this together at Fraunhoffer in Ilmenau and were blown away.

Well, this should speak volumes. Our Maestro himself certainly feels it to be an "advancement"

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

ted nightshade

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2004, 06:06:56 PM »

It seems they are offering a complete and functioning system here- the only catch I can see being, with the speakers 17 cm apart, the speakers can only be 17 cm diameter, and big spaces will require incredible numbers of them. On the other hand, very small spaces might be quite affordable to rig up, so there's potential for a home experience that's not incredibly costly. And yes, only the horizontal seems to be provided for.

Another thing that catches my attention is that the whole thing seems to be designed to the current craze for fragmented and rebuilt recordings- multitrack mixes with isolated sources.

Is it possible that these isolated sources will interact in the reproduction space in anything like the way they would if all recorded together in a real space simultaneously? I must say things tend to sound rather sterile otherwise.

Another question- is it possible to create a microphone or array of microphones that will pick up the whole sound of an orchestra or what have you, and assign the signals to the various channels so that the reproduction is like the real thing?

This reminds me of an experiment a friend did- he placed microphones on top of a set of 4 Bose 901's, recorded a drumset in the room, and then played it back through the 901's, in the identical positions as the mics picked up the sound. I didn't hear it, but apparently it was a very lifelike illusion.

Another thing I wonder- how does the reproduced sound interact with the acoustics of the reproduction space? I don't see that addressed anywhere in the website... Wouldn't necessarily be a problem for installs, if proper attention was payed to acoustic issues, but for the home and live environments I would have to think it would play a significant part- probably no greater though than acoustics play in mono, 2 ch stereo, or surround stereo applications.
Ted Nightshade aka Cowan

There's a sex industry too.
Or maybe you prefer home cookin'?

Level

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2004, 06:31:34 PM »

Quote:

Another thing I wonder- how does the reproduced sound interact with the acoustics of the reproduction space?

They have half of the equasion. The other half they have missed.

Review my post for a hint!

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 20 queries.