R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Webcast royalties  (Read 1387 times)

slicraider

Webcast royalties
« on: July 29, 2004, 10:19:44 AM »

What do you folks think?

http://www.grammy.com/pe_wing/advocacy/producerarticle.aspx

PS: Sorry I could not get this address in as a link.

Rob Darling

Re: Webcast royalties
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2004, 10:52:07 AM »

If in fact the performers will be paid royalties on webcasts, then I don't see any reason for the producer not to be paid as well.

But what I don't understand is why webcasters are being hit when radio and tv get off royalty-free.  Sounds like the Clear Channel crew is getting their way again.

I think webcasts should be regulated and administered no differently than radio broadcasts.

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2004, 02:34:20 AM »

Radio and TV only get off free in the United States due to broadcast interest lobbying. They are a significant source of income in Europe paying artists DOLLARS per airplay. The Europeans aren't about to allow web radio get off with not paying.

You can bet there's big US broadcaster bucks behind all the whining about how "unfair" these royalties are.

Tomas Danko

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2004, 05:51:00 AM »

Bob Olhsson wrote on Sun, 01 August 2004 07:34

Radio and TV only get off free in the United States due to broadcast interest lobbying. They are a significant source of income in Europe paying artists DOLLARS per airplay. The Europeans aren't about to allow web radio get off with not paying.

You can bet there's big US broadcaster bucks behind all the whining about how "unfair" these royalties are.

Over here in Sweden, we can score up to $40 per minute from airplay (for example on national TV or radio during prime time played up-front). For any three-minute pop-thingie that's quite a sum everytime it's rotated. Get a single on A-rotation for a couple of weeks and you get three to five times that sum from that radio channel every day, and even though you get a whole lot less on the commercial channels (I remember getting only $2.50/minute from one TV channel over ten years ago) they tend to be many and heavily over play the current singles.

Hence, a lot of artists will sometimes gain more from airplay than record sales.

Then again, we won't sell records anywhere close to what can be sold overseas...

Cheers,

Danko
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 22 queries.