R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Bricasti M7 V1 and V2  (Read 34876 times)

leonardo valvassori

Re: Bricasti M7 V1 and V2
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2010, 06:07:52 PM »

wwittman wrote on Wed, 13 January 2010 03:38

Leonardo Valvassori wrote on Tue, 12 January 2010 11:00

... and will change your opinion on digital reverberation...

I think it's safe to say the EMT 250 already sort of did that around 1977 Twisted Evil

Now, if I could purchase one for the price of the one in question, what do you think I would go with?

We both know don't we?  Rolling Eyes

Still, all these things are tools and I use the best of what ever it is I gots and work to make it work for the music.
Really;--I almost hate gear actually.
Leonardo Valvassori

leonardo valvassori

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2010, 07:58:43 PM »

Instruments and microphones are another story though.
Leonardo Valvassori

minister

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2010, 06:28:36 PM »

compasspnt wrote on Mon, 11 January 2010 23:24

But comparing it to PCM 70-96/300 is not doing it any favours.

Of course it would be better than those.

The new PCM 96 is no slouch.  Have you heard one?

A PCM 70 and PCM 91, well.....those are very metallic and hard to mix to my ear.

This box is not a 250, nor does it pretend to be, nor does it replace it.  But it does do something that no other box I have worked with does (I have not worked with, though I have been on records that used a 250 and a 480) in that it becomes a partner in music.  It doesn't sound like added reverb, at the right amount, it just sounds like you put that instrument in that room.  It does small rooms, tight rooms, wood rooms, and halls very very very well.  I am eagerly anticipating V2.

I like it better than the TC 6000, 4000, Yardstick, and Altiverb.

tom hambleton C.A.S.
minister of fancy noises
ministry of fancy noises

IMDb

JGauthier

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2010, 05:07:55 PM »

I am changing my tune-

I would now rather have 2 Bricasti M7s... And sold my Lexicon 300 to fund the purchase of a second. Im keeping the PCM70s though.

But damn, what a box.

People say the TC stuff does great early reflections. I'd be interested to hear a 4000 in conjunction with the M7...

Ryan Slowey

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2010, 09:42:02 AM »

Just FYI for anyone who has a convolution plug-in and can't afford the hardware version.....

I'm sure it's no comparison to the actual unit, but I downloaded some Bricasti IR's for my TL Space plug-in, and they sound fantastic. With the exception of a plate preset that I made, I've pretty much stopped using all the other IR's altogether.

The subtlety and realism are the first things I noticed.  They lack all the weird artifacts that I find myself filtering out of other IR's, and blend well enough, that you can use more reverb, before it starts to sound bad. Before importing them, I was spending way too much time tweaking the presets to get usable sounds. Now, with the Bricasti IR's, I'm finding the one that works, and moving on. Very little, if any tweaking.

The tiled rooms are my favorite so far, and I'm using the "large wooden room" on the song I'm currently mixing. I'm going to give "studio B" a try ASAP.

I downloaded them here.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

My music: http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

Tim Halligan

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2010, 09:18:26 AM »

I just tried one...

I may have to sell a kidney.  Twisted Evil

Cheers,
Tim
"Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity." - J. Whynot

"You can tune a room only with a bulldozer." - Andy Peters

JGauthier

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2010, 04:21:53 PM »

I just finished coding the middev and midnam files for the Bricasti M7 and sent them to Casey.

They will allow the Bricasti to show patch names in Protools just like a softsynth. They ONLY work properly with V2. Im sure Bricasti will make them avaliable to all for their V2 release.

The big benefits Im excited about are the sysex dump which will allow snapshot sysex automation and the patch names. If you have the M7 as a send in protools, this is for you!

Casey was nice enough to add the patch recall feature via midi program changes as he had only implemented the sysex dump for V2 originally. Now all banks will respond as the register bank does to program and bank change messages.

The patch names in protools is one of my FAVORITE features because you see the entire bank at once. You cant do that on the unit... Helps get you out of the same ol presets!

So other than continuous control/automation of parameters (for now) the M7 will function as a plug in. With snapshot not continuous automation- which Im fine with since I never automate verb parameters that way anyway!

Cant wait to hear V2!

RMoore

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2010, 06:21:27 AM »

People's Republic of Ryan

http://www.myspace.com/twilightcircus
 http://www.youtube.com/user/Ryonik

By the end of today, another day is gone forever. You will never get it back.
We must never let up for a second. Work harder at every single thing - Terry Manning

You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take - Wayne Gretzky

JGauthier

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2010, 02:53:17 AM »

RMoore wrote on Thu, 25 February 2010 03:21

M7 vs EMT 140 plate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=menNsfbxuIM

The funny thing about that video is its a promo for the M7 yet the EMT absolutely sounds better... Regardless of what he says.

But I 100% agree with him that the clarity on the M7 is quite nice and lost in the video.

I used stereo EMTs for years and nothing sounds as sweet as a real plate... Noise and all! But you lose that midrange and gain a nice clarity with an M7.

But I think its pushing it to say the M7 is better than a real plate... Different yes, better nope.

Im a fanboy at this point, I admit it... But Im not insane.

Well slightly insane waiting for the M7m remote 1 package to get here... Can't wait! By monday!

leonardo valvassori

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2010, 10:37:57 AM »

JGauthier wrote on Fri, 26 February 2010 02:53

The funny thing about that video is its a promo for the M7 yet the EMT absolutely sounds better... Regardless of what he says.

Agreed.

Even over laptop speakers I can certainly hear it.

I still really like this box though.

Leonardo Valvassori

Geoff Emerick de Fake

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2010, 01:55:40 AM »

I recently had the opportunity to compare a PCM96, an M7, a Yardstick 2402 along with my M3000, my natural echo chamber and several plug-ins.
Since I had two excellent offers for the 96 and the M7 (40% off list), I really wanted one of these to persuade me to adopt her.
But the Yardstick is so convincingly natural and blends so well in the mix, I have set my mind on it.
I'm still unsure about which version I'll choose; the digital-only makes sense, but may not be that easy to resell in case of bad fortune. The Analog + digital version is going to be displayed at Frankfurt Pro Light & Sound at the end of the month.

The 96 and the M7 are fine, but they don't bring me something radically different than the M3000, except maybe these modulated tails that are the essence of the Lex sound, but for me, it makes me think of putting a Leslie on the reverb return Cool ; I don't have any serious use for them, except maybe for the occasional customer who wants the C

JGauthier

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2010, 03:05:27 PM »

Geoff Emerick de Fake wrote on Tue, 02 March 2010 22:55

As to which one is best between M7 and 96, due to their almost incestuous parentage, I reckon they can be made to sound so close that I wouldn't base any purchase decision on it...

You reckon? You had all of those units and didn't see for yourself?

Please...

Then you say you base this off their incestuous relationship? NOT listening?

We have a 96 and 3 M7s here. You absolutely cannot make a 96 sound like an M7. If you think so, you may want to listen again. EVERY person who has shot them out in studio A has picked the 96 out with EASE. Blind. Every one...

You may prefer the quantec but I seriously question your ability to hear if you say you made them sound the same.

You can not LIKE the M7 but most of what you say is 100% hogwash... You need to back it up.

Its the "I reckon"... Either you did or didn't. You dont "reckon" anything when spending that kind of money...

I call shennanigans.

minister

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2010, 05:42:41 PM »

I have a Yardstick 2402 and I have an M7.  I used to love the Yardtsick.  But now that I have an M7, I think it trumps it by a lot.  I won't sell my Yardstick, but in the comparisons, the Yardstick to my ears does a very nice Church and Chapel and Catehdral, but that's it.  And there is a tinge of chorus and phase to the sound that make it a bit more "processed" sounding, but certainly usable in a lot of things.  The M7 to my ear is far more natural sounding, especially in small rooms (where the Yardstick is practically useless).  The Bricasti Halls also very very good, especially the Boston Hall and the Big and Clear.

I would by another M7 before another Yardstick.
tom hambleton C.A.S.
minister of fancy noises
ministry of fancy noises

IMDb

Geoff Emerick de Fake

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2010, 06:12:46 AM »

JGauthier wrote on Wed, 03 March 2010 14:05

Geoff Emerick de Fake wrote on Tue, 02 March 2010 22:55

As to which one is best between M7 and 96, due to their almost incestuous parentage, I reckon they can be made to sound so close that I wouldn't base any purchase decision on it...
You reckon? You had all of those units and didn't see for yourself?
Maybe a language problem there: I managed to make the 96 and the M7 sounding similar enough to me.
Quote:

Then you say you base this off their incestuous relationship?
Did I say that?
Quote:

NOT listening?
Did I say I didn't listen?
Quote:

We have a 96 and 3 M7s here. You absolutely cannot make a 96 sound like an M7.
You may try a little harder
Quote:

If you think so, you may want to listen again. EVERY person who has shot them out in studio A has picked the 96 out with EASE. Blind. Every one... ...
I believe I could do the same between two different programs of a same unit. ...
Quote:

You may prefer the quantec but I seriously question your ability to hear if you say you made them sound the same.
I know what I heard. ...
Quote:

You can not LIKE the M7
You seem to think I have a hidden agenda of bashing the M7, which you answer like you have some hidden agenda of defending it as a valiant knight... so childish...
The fact that you've got three of them may explain...
Quote:

but most of what you say is 100% hogwash...
I call shennanigans.
That's what I like here on this forum. There's a couple of guys, if you don't agree with them, they start calling you names and behaving like real gentlemen...

Geoff Emerick de Fake

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2010, 05:42:43 PM »

minister wrote on Wed, 03 March 2010 16:42

...the Yardstick to my ears does a very nice Church and Chapel and Catehdral, but that's it.  And there is a tinge of chorus and phase to the sound that make it a bit more "processed" sounding, but certainly usable in a lot of things.
This is very strange, as it's the fluidity and absence of whirling effects on reverb tails that convinced me in the Yardstick.
Quote:

I would by another M7 before another Yardstick.
I wouldn't know what to do with two pieces of the same reverb... Rolling Eyes
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 22 queries.