R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Bricasti M7 V1 and V2  (Read 34880 times)

JGauthier

Bricasti M7 V1 and V2
« on: January 06, 2010, 12:29:25 AM »

Got my Bricasti M7 today and damn... Just damn...

Ive got Vss3 plug, stereo PCM70s and a 300 and damn... Just damn. It stomps them all. Just stomps them.

But Im excited... And I love pcm70s... so Im sure Im a touch overzealous but damn...

So far, and Ill post more soon, all I can say is damn.

I have never heard a verb blend so well, so fast with so little effort... Sonically its killing me. Does it REALLY SOUND REAL- nope... BUT it ACTS real... Hows that for double talk!

I'd love to hear from other users, especially those who are post honeymoon...

But for now all I can say is-

sounds amazing
interface is awesome- if you have used a pcm70
build is ridiculous- Ive never felt midi ports like this on insertion...
The display is so simple and easy to read its stupid
It screams "get to work", no need to BS

Ive got a dead room and its become an issue for me. I can go to studio A but all my toys are here... The Bricasti is very convincing so far.

I would also love to hear from anyone using V2!

JGauthier

Re: Bricasti M7 V1 and V2
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 03:32:35 PM »

Day 2- Im just as blown away. Its like I can add a bit of studio A into my overdubs here!

The only thing thats pissing me off is the midi. It will only change presets in the registers... V2 is supposed to allow full recall via sysex dump- it needs it.

The interface is just so simple its PERFECT... The HP freq is usually a first go to- its a really nice sounding filter and the slope seems magic! You hear added/removed definition, not rolloff.

The best thing by far is the blend. Man can this thing blend!

rick-slo

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 12:25:56 AM »

Post some clips pre and post reverb. Some acoustic guitar would be great if you have any.

JGauthier

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 05:36:04 PM »

I will but Im not tracking any right now. Ill have to pull up an old session and print it.

I would dare say acoustic guitar is one of its strongest points... without question.

Im still amazed at it.

The only down side is its sheen. Which can be great but its there- all the time. Some people want all/only bricasti on a mix but I would not be one of them. I may try strapping the bus with some pres or a comp/bypassed for color, but it definitely has the sheen of digital perfection- a good and bad thing.

But I would want it on EVERY mix and it makes my other verbs (pcm70s, a 300 and plugin Vss3) BETTER. Ideally 2 of them- one set for rooms (studio B preset is amazing) and the other for bigger spaces (plates and halls. Then add some lexi and Im pretty happy. I used to want a 960 or 6000- I dont anymore.

Its subtle and complex, but thats the beauty- real spaces are subtle and ridiculously complex.

Ill see what I can find for acoustic guitar. Trying to meet with a friend/mentor who does full orchestras so we can run some real sections through it. Plus his control room has a MUCH nicer monitor section. So if it sounds that good here, its going to be ridiculous there...

I also told him to get out his checkbook... when I leave he'll be calling the dealer.

You can hear the Bricasti on the GVCG clip here

http://www.soundclick.com/jgauthier

but its being used as it should- subtle. But if you listen to the martin clip as well (no M7, only a bit of lexicon) you can hear the GVCG clip sounds more mature spacially. Both were recorded in the EXACT same location in my tracking room, but different mic set ups (M/S vs close and room). So not exactly scientific but something to listen to.

JGauthier

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 09:03:08 PM »

added a bricasti verb ( Bright plate setting ) acoustic guitar track to the sound click link-

http://www.soundclick.com/jgauthier

If you click "full" it will have a guide to what I did in the description of the song.

At the end I raise the send to -3 DB but I forgot to mention that in the description.

you need to really listen to the entire loop and not the initial lack of attack (the loop starts softer and ends louder so it feels misleading at the loop crossover point)

rick-slo

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 11:18:15 PM »

Thanks for the clip. Hard to judge from a 128 bit rate mp3 however. I am intrigued though. If you are willing to take the time I could email you a short wav clip of something I have recorded (perhaps a raw (dry) short section of this one: http://dcoombsguitar.com/CDFour/ThreeStepsToJoyDemo.mp3 )
Add some Bricasti reverb of your choice and email that back. In any case thanks for the clips you linked to.

JGauthier

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 12:12:47 AM »

I emailed you my email address to send the wav

I have a 10mb limit and would prefer not to use my FTP site.

The surprising thing about the Mp3s is they still sound good enough to hear something interesting is happening. But the true benefit of the subtle quality of the verb is hard to hear without proper reference, let alone bit rate.

After listening to MP3s for 2 years and always going "hmmmm", I had to see for myself. Im pretty amazed...

I told one of the guys I work for I feel confident mixing ITB with an M7 around... No inserts, just plugs and an M7 for spaces. Hes always been slightly annoyed with my racks of outboard, and finds my inserts of analog to be little anchors of slow recall and inconsistency.

I can give up the nice comps/eqs for some decent REALISTIC space!

Marcus Black

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 08:07:20 AM »

Yep, that Bricasti is scary good.

In addition to your findings, which I totally agree with, I´ve done some things with the Bricasti that simply never have worked out for me with other units. One is recording drums in a super small booth, dead and dry, with a pair of mics feeding the Bricasti to get "room mics". It should not really work but it does. Another testament to how well and realistically it blends.

Some worthless information... I had a nice long chat with one of the two Bricasti designers and he told me the processing power in the M7 is equivalent to 6 ProTools HD Accel cards. I asked him if hypothetically it could run as a plugin using 6 whole Accel cards and the answer was no. The way a computer handles data is not efficient enough to be able to run the algos ! I can´t remember the amount of calculations to create the verb but it was a LOT. There is also a high degree of randomization going on so no two tails will ever sound the same. With a confident smile he said something like "I think the Bricasti will still be way ahead of its competition in 10 years from now..." A bold statement but I wouldn´t be surprised if that was the case. The amount of work they´ve put into that box is mindblowing.

Marcus Black

www.fixitinthemix.se

www.detonamusic.com

JGauthier

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 06:52:11 PM »

Marcus- nice info on the PT card equivalent! Makes sense!

Just got back from studio A with my Mentor/friend who tracks full orchestras and top session players DAILY... There were 3 engineers and 3 assistants. Not one person picked the PCM96 over it...

What the Bricast does is incredible. Its ability to blend is unreal. The shining star of the day.... BASS XXL setting- talk about movie theater sounding bass!

Medium hall on a female vocalist singing Desperado was unbelievable. The definition and blend is unmatched. Period.

And strings and woodwinds... holy crap. Not sampled strings... REAL HUMANS playing instruments. Unreal.

I love the studio B settings but with no tail, everyone wanted to move on... Just wait till they really see...

So all in all. 100% unanimous- the M7 is a f'ing monster. It sounds so smooth, subtle and blends so well- nothing compares. I have not A/Bed it with a 480 or 960 yet- just pcm70, lexi 300, pcm96, Vss3 and TC megaverb. But being familiar with the two, Im not trying too hard to seach them out and see. The M7 is the new wave...

And Im sure I just sold an M7 if not a mainframe package for them... They kept saying I should sell these today!... But I argue a monkey could sell them, as long as he could plug it in!

compasspnt

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 12:24:07 AM »

I am sure the Bricasti IS a wonderful unit...I just haven't heard one yet to be able to say personally.

But comparing it to PCM 70-96/300 is not doing it any favours.

Of course it would be better than those.

leonardo valvassori

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 11:00:03 AM »

Having heard it and used it, I can say that it truly does sound amazing, and will change your opinion on digital reverberation.

I'd like to buy one, but I have some microphones to pay for......
Leonardo Valvassori

JGauthier

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 03:17:12 PM »

compasspnt wrote on Mon, 11 January 2010 21:24

I am sure the Bricasti IS a wonderful unit...I just haven't heard one yet to be able to say personally.

But comparing it to PCM 70-96/300 is not doing it any favours.

Of course it would be better than those.

Just based off price alone thats obvious but honestly the internet has more issues with the sound of a 300 than clients do! And our goal was to compare it to what we use successfully now- if its better great.

But I think its important to state the M7 is better because of its approach. Its DIFFERENT. Period. Its so subtle at times its ridiculous and you strain to hear a change without going over the top. Its not just processing power, its a different way of doing it and you can hear it (or not).

Thats the big deal. It doesn't ALWAYS sound better- but it does ALWAYS ACT better. As in the way it integrates with the sound (acts) vs a great sounding hall (sounds). I still love the 70s and 96... and even the 300 on a good day.

So I think the real comparison will be when V2 is released and I can compare it to the Lexi stuff and see. Theres a sheen to the Bricasti so Im not sold its the end all of life itself, but I dont exactly NOT like it either. I just notice it. At this point I would still take a PCM96 and an M7 over 2 M7s. But ideally I would like have 2 M7s and a 96.

(part of my plan to bring it to studio A yesterday- he'll buy one and then Ill have two when I mix there!Bwaaahahhhaaaaa You could see him missing it already...)

wwittman

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 03:38:43 AM »

Leonardo Valvassori wrote on Tue, 12 January 2010 11:00

... and will change your opinion on digital reverberation...

I think it's safe to say the EMT 250 already sort of did that around 1977 Twisted Evil
William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

compasspnt

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010, 11:50:29 AM »

Yes, everything ELSE "changed my opinion on digital reverberation."

Perhaps the unit in question can help change it back...

JGauthier

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2010, 05:19:05 PM »

Mentor/friend from our Wednesday fun ordered his unit today.

Two days and he had to have it...

Sent me an email with no content, just the title "asshole"...
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 20 queries.