R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Interesting twist on negative feedback....  (Read 1108 times)

Taproot

Interesting twist on negative feedback....
« on: January 04, 2010, 03:50:34 PM »

I mastered a choral recording over the holidays. Recorded in a bad venue, bad acoustics, bad noisy, etc., but the choir was excellent. Well, I took it as a challenge and submitted a master that I was honestly pretty proud of, due to the circumstances. Well, the client emails me and says that she is unhappy with what I've done and asked if she could just have the raw version with the edits intact. The email was very cut and dry. I was floored. And to be honest, it hurt my feelings a bit.

Well, I couldn't stand it. I called her up and said I'd be glad to accommodate her request, but could you please give me a little guidance as to what bothered her so much as to choose the raw verion over my mastered version. To my relief she said the mastering was phenomenal and the clarity was unreal. In her words, "It was too good. It revealed waaaay too many details, nuances and mistakes that she was never aware of before, so she would rather use the raw version."

This was an entry for a competition. It made me smile.  Smile
Jeffrey Reed
Taproot Audio Design
Oxford, Mississippi
www.taprootaudiodesign.com
www.myspace.com/taprootaudio

"That boy's so dumb, he thinks the Mexican border pays rent!" -Foghorn Leghorn

MASSIVE Mastering

Re: Interesting twist on negative feedback....
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 07:01:53 PM »

I think we ran across the same client...   Laughing

Seriously though - Same sort of thing.  (Quite talented) holiday choir, BIG room rumble, some hiss, it was pretty scary.  I patted myself on the back a few times while cleaning it up and they were a little "spooked" by it.  

So I said "How about this..." and added some verb.  That 'masked' everything that spooked them and out if went.  
John Scrip
Massive Mastering - Chicago (Schaumburg / Hoffman Est.), IL - USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 16 queries.