R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: What does the term "micro dynamics" mean???  (Read 50945 times)

Jerry Tubb

Re: What does the term "micro dynamics" mean???
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2010, 06:42:46 PM »

masterhse wrote on Wed, 06 January 2010 11:41

Jerry Tubb wrote on Wed, 06 January 2010 11:04

masterhse wrote on Wed, 06 January 2010 01:11

Yeah, yeah. It's always funny until Milton wants to burn down the building

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfSAcVq6s9c&feature=youtu be_gdata

I believe you have my red microdynamics...

JT

Jerry, we need to talk about your TPS reports.

Tom, we need to talk about your MBPC reports!

(just kidding)

Actually the meaning of Micro-Dynamics is pretty obvious, and easily affected by tweaking compressor parameters, or whatever.

I just don't think it needs to be the topic of a doctoral dissertation, or endless forum topics.

IMO people obsess on minutiae too much.

Turn the knobs till it sounds great, then print it! : - )

JT
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

masterhse

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2010, 08:22:43 PM »

Jerry Tubb wrote on Fri, 08 January 2010 18:42

Tom, we need to talk about your MBPC reports!

Jerry, apparently you were not notified.

That report has been replaced with the MBPMDE (multi-band parallel micro dynamic enhancement) report.

Suddenly I feel dirty.
Tom Volpicelli
The Mastering House Inc.
CD Mastering and Media Production Services

Waltz Mastering

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2010, 01:49:32 PM »

Jerry Tubb wrote on Fri, 08 January 2010 18:42

Turn the knobs till it sounds great, then print it!

This idea seems like it's worthy of naming and branding.; )

Thomas W. Bethel

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2010, 03:37:45 PM »

Thanks for all the input. I still am having problems understanding exactly what the term "micro dynamics" means. I have read Bob's mastering book and I have tried to look up the term on the WWW but so far....no luck. There are a lot of places that have the name "micro dynamics", it is used to describe a lot of other things but so far Bob's book seem to be the only source for the term when it applies to audio and music.

I am genuinely interested in learning about this terminology but I guess from some of the replies here I may never get a real definition. I am in the process of writing Bob Katz and asking him to flush out the definition so I can wrap my brain around it. Hopefully I can get a more definitive answer from the man who used the phrase in the first place.

Thanks again for all the input.

-TOM-

Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
Room With a View Productions
http://www.acoustikmusik.com/

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.

dcollins

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2010, 04:11:59 PM »

Thomas W. Bethel wrote on Sat, 09 January 2010 12:37

I am genuinely interested in learning about this terminology but I guess from some of the replies here I may never get a real definition. I am in the process of writing Bob Katz and asking him to flush out the definition so I can wrap my brain around it. Hopefully I can get a more definitive answer from the man who used the phrase in the first place.

Why does it matter?  It's just a made-up term, like all audiophile adjectives.  Scintillating, palpable, robust, ginormous -- all meaningless and subject to interpretation by each listener.

How would an "official definition" make the slightest bit of difference?

DC

odeon-mastering

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2010, 04:21:15 PM »

dcollins wrote on Sat, 09 January 2010 15:11

Why does it matter?  It's just a made-up term, like all audiophile adjectives.  Scintillating, palpable, robust, ginormous -- all meaningless and subject to interpretation by each listener.

DC

+1

but (and since I was asked by Thomas on gearslutz)this is my view on the use of the above term :

As far as I am concerned most of the answers given to Thomas, were spot on.
I also would like to agree, that the use of the term would be beneficial, mainly in discussions between engineers .

According to the greek language (I need to inform you that both words "micro" and "dynamics" are greek words) the word micro-dynamic is not 100% correct, for the context that most of you here are giving to it.(same goes for the word macro-dynamics)

So in a more correct manner, I would use the terms "dynamics over the microscopic view" or "dynamics over the macroscopic view"
Now since I am not a language teacher I might be wrong ...Smile

...having said that I use the informal term (micro dynamics) since it is easier and I will continue using it when speaking with non greek speaking clients.(In greek I still use the term "dynamics over the microscopic view", since the other term doesnt sound natural)

Thomas W. Bethel

« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2010, 04:28:42 PM »

dcollins wrote on Sat, 09 January 2010 16:11

Thomas W. Bethel wrote on Sat, 09 January 2010 12:37

DC

So you are saying this is BS terminology? Why use it? Why not say transient modification or small time window dynamics control or ???? Thanks for being honest! I guess this is what I have been looking for...
-TOM-

Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
Room With a View Productions
http://www.acoustikmusik.com/

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.

Cooker

« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2010, 05:41:32 PM »

I suggest you also ask this to a well educated classical musician, I have a feeling bob came up with the term thinking more musically than technical.

Gold

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2010, 05:48:09 PM »

Thomas W. Bethel wrote on Sat, 09 January 2010 16:28

Why use it?

It looks like it has made it's way into the lexicon. Let's see how long it stays there. I certainly don't know what it means or how to apply it. I would feel icky using it. Alternate language would be more than one word but would be more descriptive of the actual case. I'll stick to vague words for descriptions vague things.
Paul Gold
www.saltmastering.com

On the silk road, looking for uranium.

Waltz Mastering

« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2010, 05:54:18 PM »

pianississimo

dcollins

« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2010, 06:35:58 PM »

Cooker wrote on Sat, 09 January 2010 14:41

I suggest you also ask this to a well educated classical musician, I have a feeling bob came up with the term thinking more musically than technical.

Ok, done.  He also had no idea what it meant, and flubbed around with the same guesses we have seen here.  He did, however, name a number of equally subjective examples used in music that are open to interpretation like "Moderately," "Briskly," "Stately," wrt tempo.

And although this was by email, I could also hear him shrug his shoulders.

DC

urm eric

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2010, 06:05:31 AM »

Cooker wrote on Sat, 09 January 2010 16:41

Not standing in here as a `well educated classical musician' but I think this is right. Bob didn't invent the term and it's not BS nor is it like a made up audiophile property. I heard it regularly from over a decade ago in discussion with string quartet players (whom I was recording) as a feature of their performance, especially when playing closely dynamically annotated modern classical pieces.

They were not talking about the pp or the fff but the levels of each performer relative to the overall sound. When more recently I started using an OCL-2 to gently process some of these recordings they loved it (and still do - though I'd never tell them I was using a compressor - too many bad connotations) as doing to the music that last 5% of what they dearly wished they could have done themselves.

I edited both editions of Bob's book and though some of his phrasing and terminology got a blue pencil for clarification, it never occurred to me that this needed it. In the context of its uses and in the contrast it is being used to make it seems to me to be crystal clear and doesn't need `definition.' I think Robin agreed with this is a post responding to mine last week and I honestly then thought that the subject was closed. What's the issue?

All the best,

Eric
Philosophers Barn Mastering
www.phibarnmastering.co.uk

dcollins

« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2010, 06:40:40 AM »

urm eric wrote on Sun, 10 January 2010 03:05

I edited both editions of Bob's book and though some of his phrasing and terminology got a blue pencil for clarification, it never occurred to me that this needed it. In the context of its uses and in the contrast it is being used to make it seems to me to be crystal clear and doesn't need `definition.'

Well, case closed then.

The point where macro dynamics becomes micro is a blue pencil area.

Easy to tell where one ends and the other begins?

DC

urm eric

« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2010, 07:08:54 AM »

dcollins wrote on Sun, 10 January 2010 05:40

urm eric wrote on Sun, 10 January 2010 03:05

I edited both editions of Bob's book and though some of his phrasing and terminology got a blue pencil for clarification, it never occurred to me that this needed it. In the context of its uses and in the contrast it is being used to make it seems to me to be crystal clear and doesn't need `definition.'

Well, case closed then.

The point where macro dynamics become micro is a blue pencil area, you mean?

DC

Hello Dave,

Probably not, but then did anyone claim that it was, and why would it need to be except by those (I'm sure not you) more obsessed with definitions than practice? Almost every useful evaluative and descriptive term works on a continuum with evident termini and grey bits in the middle. Most such concepts just don't come with effective decision procedures which allow an exhaustive and mutually exclusive sorting into one box or another. Good thing too: it means we can talk liked engaged human beings.

Sometimes if the middle is too broad and grey the term has no application there at all. Sometimes if you insist on applying an either/or you end up with disastrous foreign policy decisions. Rolling Eyes (lesson 1 from the Chilcott enquiry).  

Still, if I used my Pendulum to try to control the macrodynamics of a string quartet I'm pretty sure they'd not ask me to do it again.

So I agree: case closed. (Or maybe I just made a shitty editorial decision nine years, but as nobody or their work seems to have suffered and this is an entirely abstract problem, I can probably live with that). Razz  

All the best,

Eric
Philosophers Barn Mastering
www.phibarnmastering.co.uk

24-96 Mastering

« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2010, 08:05:36 AM »

dcollins wrote on Sun, 10 January 2010 12:40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf-HBMq9ggg&feature=fvst

24-96 Mastering
CD - SACD - DVD
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 21 queries.