R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Preamp advice  (Read 2884 times)

Musiclabs

Preamp advice
« on: December 31, 2009, 01:47:32 AM »

Hi I have a question, maybe stupid and maybe not.

If I dont have enough preamps for recording a drum, can I use a preamp like an insert in mixer?

I think , maybe I can use 1 preamp for kick drum, 2 preamp for snare (up and down)
can I use a preamp for Toms like an insert, tom 1 , 2, and 3, and maybe other preamp for hi-hat and cymbals as the same like an insert?

or is better for the channels I dont have a preamp do it clean, i mean direct to the converter? Shocked
none can overcome to who never
give up!

pete andrews

Re: Preamp advice
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 10:29:31 AM »

think of it this way -
every microphone in use has to (usually) have a pre amplifier to bring it's level up before hitting your converter. i say usually, because you may have a mic with a really hot output on a really loud sound source and be fine going from mic to converter directly.  

simple....

-pete

0dbfs

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 03:27:23 PM »

I have never done it but I have also heard of people driving line inputs on tape-machines and DAW's direct from a mic with an exceptionally high output level (like some 48V-condensers or tube-mic's). Particularly with drum sources like toms & kick drums. Other sources may also work well.

If your converter line-inputs have a +4/-10 option then switching to -10 may help get a more appropriate signal to your DAW in that scenario.

I don't think it will damage anything to try it out but you may need to adjust your other pre-amp levels to better match.

I know that I have use'd inline-pad's with 421's on tom's and API pre's in order to not get excessive level to the DAW.

What mic's do you have available?

Cheers,
j
Jonathan Burtner
Music is Everything!
Audio is Everything Else!

Musiclabs

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 05:39:10 PM »

0dbfs wrote on Thu, 31 December 2009 12:27

I have never done it but I have also heard of people driving line inputs on tape-machines and DAW's direct from a mic with an exceptionally high output level (like some 48V-condensers or tube-mic's). Particularly with drum sources like toms & kick drums. Other sources may also work well.

If your converter line-inputs have a +4/-10 option then switching to -10 may help get a more appropriate signal to your DAW in that scenario.

I don't think it will damage anything to try it out but you may need to adjust your other pre-amp levels to better match.

I know that I have use'd inline-pad's with 421's on tom's and API pre's in order to not get excessive level to the DAW.

What mic's do you have available?

Cheers,
j

oohh ok mm, I have just a shure kit for drums, ksm 32, shure sm7, and sm 57
I better use some channels direct to daw, maybe cymbals...

my 6 preamps on kick, snare, hh, tom1 and tom 3, and direct to daw, tom 2 and cymbals... maybe it will work ok.

thanks man

give up!

compasspnt

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 06:33:29 PM »

Often with toms I just patch the mic output directly to line (converter) input...snare should work as well, maybe bass drum.
Probably not OH's (maybe not enough level there).

Musiclabs

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 09:55:54 PM »

compasspnt wrote on Thu, 31 December 2009 15:33

Often with toms I just patch the mic output directly to line (converter) input...snare should work as well, maybe bass drum.
Probably not OH's (maybe not enough level there).

OOH
give up!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 16 queries.