R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: this pretty much sums up that OTHER recordng forum  (Read 29141 times)

DSills

Re: this pretty much sums up that OTHER recordng forum
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2009, 08:53:00 PM »

I'm amazed that anyone would go to Gearslutz looking for actual help, let alone get some. Every thread I read seems to quickly devolve into a pissing contest of sorts - "my DAW can kick your DAW's butt," or "you need to buy X brand of microphone to get a PRO sounding recording." Even new product threads turn into "this thing sucks without feature Z - and it costs to much."
"If it's where the heart is, how come you're never home?"
http://www.davesills.com

Unwinder

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2009, 08:54:00 PM »

arconaut wrote on Wed, 30 December 2009 01:42

The poster's first question is, " Is there a book or site I can read up on to get the hang of this thing?" which, to me, indicates that this person really didn't do any research at all. This is is what makes it worthy of ridicule. I learned how to align a tape machine from reading the Woram book. There are books and sites, of course, and this person didn't even look for them before buying a machine?

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+align+tape+machine

Fine, i give up. lol.

RSettee

« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2009, 08:55:27 PM »

Bill Mueller wrote on Tue, 29 December 2009 19:50

This thread and that poor kid with his used Studer, somehow remind me of Gothic camp followers, picking the bones of the great Roman army, finding stunning art, architecture, engineering, music and sculpture, and then selling it all for scrap.

Great analogy! I think that there's always been the tendency to look back on history or outdated/ unused/ long forgotten things with a voyeuristic tendency; if not a lack of genuine concern for the craft and work that went into those things. It's easy to look at Egyptian hieroglyphs or art and see them as romantic or idealistic, but we have to remember that alot of that art was created in and for and about turmoil, and that alot of tools were created for war or everyday protection. Kinda reminds me of on the Jetsons when Elroy finds a hammer and asks what it's for....

Larrchild

« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2009, 08:55:56 PM »

Bill, I'm about to Sawzall that door into a 36" and roll them all in to be connected and working up a storm. This was a rare photo-op as they were lined up. But not sadly. Wink
http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/fa/13969/0/
A Most Happy New Year's Back!
Larry Janus
http://2ubes.net

Edvaard

« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2009, 09:05:07 PM »

When you first got into things in this biz, was there an internet?

(I should clarify, 'an internet where you weren't charged by-the-minute long distance rates by Ma Bell for online time')

Did the recording industry then consist of %85 retail with "infinite resolution" blurring of high end to small bedroom as it is now, or was it the studios for professional recordings and the Wollensak or Fostex 4 track for home brew as it was at one time?

Ridicule all you like, but direct it to the proper target.

RSettee

« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2009, 09:13:31 PM »

Edvaard wrote on Tue, 29 December 2009 20:05

(I should clarify, 'an internet where you weren't charged by-the-minute long distance rates by Ma Bell for online time')

Did the recording industry then consist of %85 retail with "infinite resolution" blurring of high end to small bedroom as it is now, or was it the studios for professional recordings and the Wollensak or Fostex 4 track for home brew as it was at one time?

Is anyone else entirely perplexed by this?

Wireline

« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2009, 09:15:11 PM »

Just from my POV, its really a matter of shock and disbelief.  Everyone has a right to have whatever they can purchase, and to ask questions (in spite of how inappropriate or even bizarre we may think they may be)

The thing that instills a certain fear (for this observer) that the feeling of hopleless dispair I had when I saw a 65 Strat routed out for a Floyd Rose trem will return...
Ken Morgan
Wireline Studio
Midland, Texas
www.wirelinestudio.com

Bill Mueller

« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2009, 09:16:11 PM »

Larrchild wrote on Tue, 29 December 2009 20:55

Bill, I'm about to Sawzall that door into a 36" and roll them all in to be connected and working up a storm. This was a rare photo-op as they were lined up. But not sadly. Wink

Yes!

Bill
"Don't take it personally. But this shit is a science." J.J.Blair

“The Internet is only a means of communication,” he wrote. “It is not an amorphous extraterrestrial body with an entitlement to norms that run counter to the fundamental principles of human rights. There is nothing in the criminal or civil law which legalizes that which is otherwise illegal simply because the transaction takes place over the Internet.” Irish judge, Peter Charleton

Edvaard

« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2009, 09:21:48 PM »

arconaut wrote on Tue, 29 December 2009 20:42

The poster's first question is, " Is there a book or site I can read up on to get the hang of this thing?" which, to me, indicates that this person really didn't do any research at all. This is is what makes it worthy of ridicule. I learned how to align a tape machine from reading the Woram book. There are books and sites, of course, and this person didn't even look for them before buying a machine?

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+align+tape+machine

It's not just gear, and not just the recording industry that has gotten things 'bass-ackwards' here. People who grew up with cell phones can't believe there was this huge  thing you had to hold to your face and head with a curly chord attached to some table anchor for phone communication at one time.

We didn't need much instruction on how to operate those, but the cell phone does. But people are used to buying things like a computer or a cell phone and then just figuring it out after the fact. Buying first and learning how to work it later might seem ridiculous, but that is the MO of the modern world, so pardon this poor guy when he first bumps into something different than his previous life experience.

Unwinder

« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2009, 09:21:55 PM »

RSettee wrote on Wed, 30 December 2009 02:13

Edvaard wrote on Tue, 29 December 2009 20:05

Is anyone else entirely perplexed by this?

Does it matter?

Sean Eldon Qualls

« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2009, 09:23:00 PM »

Original poster of that thread, in another location on parent website: "The avalon is a tube preamp!! Its very warm and slow- miles davis stand up bass sound!! Its the last thing you want for modern tone."

So he's either deaf, or an old guy joking around.

Another gem: "This is crazy!!! Bob Dylan is the best singer alive!! He sings faster and cleaner than anyone alive- he delivers it in a suttle way!! His vocal speed is astounding and its hard to pick up!!"

Old guy joking around.
Sean Eldon
Gainfully unemployed / Back to freelancing

"Gearslutz -- Where the uneducated go to fight it out with the misinformed" - Dave Hecht

Edvaard

« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2009, 09:33:52 PM »

Sean Eldon Qualls wrote on Tue, 29 December 2009 21:23

Original poster of that thread, ...

...he's either deaf, or an old guy joking around.

Most likely the latter, but I think that you're just trying to leave us utterly perplexed here.

Ross Hogarth

« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2009, 10:05:11 PM »

a pretty picture indeed

Larrchild wrote on Tue, 29 December 2009 17:55

The practice of forgiveness is our most important contribution to the healing of the world.

The standard of success in life isn't the things. It isn't the money or the stuff. It is absolutely the amount of joy that you feel.

www.hoaxproductions.com

Ross Hogarth

« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2009, 10:05:11 PM »

a pretty picture indeed

The practice of forgiveness is our most important contribution to the healing of the world.

The standard of success in life isn't the things. It isn't the money or the stuff. It is absolutely the amount of joy that you feel.

www.hoaxproductions.com

Ross Hogarth

« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2009, 10:05:16 PM »

a pretty picture indeed

www.hoaxproductions.com
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 19 queries.