R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]   Go Down

Author Topic: this pretty much sums up that OTHER recordng forum  (Read 29121 times)

MagnetoSound

Re: this pretty much sums up that OTHER recordng forum
« Reply #210 on: February 03, 2010, 06:52:35 AM »

William, you're absolutely right.

But it's not gear that gets in the way, it's the obsession with it. So much time and energy devoted to endless acquisition or tinkering.

Time that could perhaps be better spent honing creative musical skills - composition, arrangement, performance.

I believe that once you own, or have access to, enough good quality gear, thereafter it's time to focus on the music, not obsess over the gear. If we obsess over gear it's because we are afraid to challenge ourselves in the creative domain. It's a neat sidestep that many of us make to remain in the comfort zone.

I'm not trying to project onto anyone - but I know there will be others who know exactly what I am talking about.

Music can make me get right up out of my chair and start dancing or it can get me so pumped up I have to walk around the block.
It can also knock me back and make me sit there and cry like a little baby. This shit is as powerful as any drug!!!
- Larry DeVivo

Waltz Mastering

« Reply #211 on: February 03, 2010, 07:37:33 AM »

MagnetoSound wrote on Wed, 03 February 2010 06:52

If we obsess over gear it's because we are afraid to challenge ourselves in the creative domain. It's a neat sidestep that many of us make to remain in the comfort zone.

As a recovering gear whore, I agree with this.  Maximizing the benefits of what you have and using it's  full potential trumps having more of them.

These days, I would much rather spend the time and money modifying a piece to make it perform better than using my old approach,  which was "add to an arsenal".  

It's very easy to get caught up in gear... craft is another thing... and that's maybe what is at the crust of this thread... gear vs craft.

Johns

« Reply #212 on: February 03, 2010, 09:49:11 PM »

This Gearslutzism (is that a word Very Happy ) is just as alive and well in this forum as in Gearslutz.  Take a walk over to the remote recording forum on Gearslutz and you will find very thoughtful and informative threads there.

organica

« Reply #213 on: February 03, 2010, 10:10:38 PM »

compasspnt

« Reply #214 on: February 04, 2010, 02:06:43 AM »

Actually Andy, despite your punctuation mark I agree, and have been ready to push the button for a while...here goes, pushing...

RMoore

« Reply #215 on: February 04, 2010, 03:50:07 AM »

jrmintz wrote on Tue, 02 February 2010 05:38

One of the things I often wonder about is how do we older people transmit our accumulated knowledge these days? When I was a young musician lots of older musicians went out of their way to help me understand how the world worked, but we saw each other every day on sessions. I feel an obligation to do the same, but I don't see much opportunity. Kids today are trying to figure it out for themselves and don't seem to know that there are people who've been down the same road.

IMO As it pertains to audio engineering & other elements of the music business, this is happening in a big way on online forums such as PSW & others.

The collective knowledge base around here for example is weighty & probably runs much deeper than ever would have been found around the average studio water cooler back in the day..

One thing fora can't replace is hands on experience..

People's Republic of Ryan

http://www.myspace.com/twilightcircus
 http://www.youtube.com/user/Ryonik

By the end of today, another day is gone forever. You will never get it back.
We must never let up for a second. Work harder at every single thing - Terry Manning

You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take - Wayne Gretzky

RMoore

« Reply #216 on: February 04, 2010, 06:28:05 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collective_intelligence

Collective intelligence
Wikipedia

Collective intelligence is a shared or group intelligence that emerges from the collaboration and competition of many individuals. Collective intelligence appears in a wide variety of forms of consensus decision making in bacteria, animals, humans, and computer networks...

Edit

Some figures like Tom Atlee prefer to focus on collective intelligence primarily in humans and actively work to upgrade what Howard Bloom calls “the group IQ". Atlee feels that collective intelligence can be encouraged "to overcome 'groupthink' and individual cognitive bias in order to allow a collective to cooperate on one process—while achieving enhanced intellectual performance.”

Collective intelligence (CI) can also be defined as a form of networking enabled by the rise of communications technology, namely the Internet. Web 2.0 has enabled interactivity and thus, users are able to generate their own content. Collective Intelligence draws on this to enhance the social pool of existing knowledge. Henry Jenkins, a key theorist of new media and media convergence draws on the theory that collective intelligence can be attributed to media convergence and participatory culture (Flew 2008). Collective intelligence is not merely a quantitative contribution of information from all cultures, it is also qualitative.

One CI pioneer, George P
People's Republic of Ryan

http://www.myspace.com/twilightcircus
 http://www.youtube.com/user/Ryonik

By the end of today, another day is gone forever. You will never get it back.
We must never let up for a second. Work harder at every single thing - Terry Manning

You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take - Wayne Gretzky

Bill_Urick

« Reply #217 on: February 04, 2010, 06:35:11 PM »

RMoore wrote on Thu, 04 February 2010 03:50

One thing fora can't replace is hands on experience..

True that.

It's the difference between talking to your buds about sex,
and crawling in the backseat of the Chrysler with Susie.
Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.

maxim

« Reply #218 on: February 05, 2010, 08:12:49 PM »

"Collective intelligence"

what about collective stupidity?...

Taproot

« Reply #219 on: February 08, 2010, 06:50:23 AM »

Bored. Couldn't sleep. I ventured over and found this:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/studio-business/464193-new-me mber-questions-about-art-pro-vla.html
Jeffrey Reed
Taproot Audio Design
Oxford, Mississippi
www.taprootaudiodesign.com
www.myspace.com/taprootaudio

"That boy's so dumb, he thinks the Mexican border pays rent!" -Foghorn Leghorn
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]   Go Up