R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Preamps  (Read 5347 times)

Sam The Soundman

Preamps
« on: December 26, 2009, 11:34:05 AM »

Ok so I've only been doing recording in my studio for a couple years but am trying to get the most out of my pres. What is your opinion on the Focusrite pres? I have a digi 003r linked (optical) with a Presonus firemax. I used to have a Yamaha console in front of the 003 for instant pres and re-routing for monitoring but recently removed it to try and get a better/non-compromised sound and completely rid the floor noise.

I dont do a lot of recording but the stuff I do I would like the best quality sound possible. Are my pres a decent choice to stick with or should I invest in something better?
Sam The Sound Man!

grantis

Re: Preamps
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 03:48:22 PM »

It really depends on how much you want to spend.  All the gear reference in your original post is all decent gear, pro-sumer stuff, and you could already achieve good sounds using that gear alone. (notice good, not great)

That little "something extra" gets expensive...fast.  

API 512c, directly into your 003 Converter would do nicely.  They're great preamps on almost anything.  They have a very fast attack and have a certain high-end quality that sounds great. A stereo pair in a lunchbox will run you about $1400-1800, depending on whether you want to buy new or used.

Lead vocal is something different....Great River MP-500 NV would fit nicely into your new lunchbox.  It has a nice warm "Neve-ey" sound that compliments lead vocals very well.  They do particularly well on acoustic guitars too.  You're looking at $600-800 on those.

All that to say, if you want to start getting top notch sounds, I'd start with technique, then move on to better gear.  Starting a collection of modules for an API lunchbox is fine, but know how to use them too.
Grant Craig
Nuovo Music (Me)
Skiddco Music (Where I work)
Work History (Well, some of it anyway)

nortstudio

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 11:04:06 AM »

Grantis makes a great point.  Make sure you are maximizing what you have, and when the need develops for better sounding pres than you can get out of what you already have, go for the upgrade.

API 512s in a lunchbox are the pres i usually suggest to anyone looking to take that first step to the next level.  The fact that they sound great on so many things, as well as the lunchbox giving you options to fill in with what you may need in the future, makes it a purchase that will not only prove useful forever, but is flexible and expandable.

I did a quick review on why I would suggest this purchase on the freqControl site.  You can check it out here http://www.freqcontrol.com/index.php?/tech-talk/feature/api_ lunchbox/.

Nizzle

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 02:50:10 PM »

API - 3124. 4 channels. HUGE bang for your $.

-t

jc-muscleshoals

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 03:30:42 PM »

Just my 2 cents: I also have the DIGI interface (002R) and I spent a lot of cash swapping around pre's and mics trying to get to that next level. I tried the Avalon M5 twice, an API A2D, Neumann mics, etc. They only made small differences and I would sell them becaue the cash was worth more than the difference it made. One thing that I've learned in the past year, and with the assistance of those on this forum, is to start with a superior converter. I bought the 2 channel Apogee Rosetta on Ebay for around a grand. It made night and day difference. I now have a Great River Pre and the FMR RNP and I am about to purhcase the API 3124. Now I can buy mics and pres withour worrying if I am wasting my money. Plus my mics all sound great now. I am finally getting the sound I want. I am going to sell or trade my 2 channel Rosetta for the 8 channel now that I have been "converted" hee hee. My order of choice is 1.Premium Converter 2.Premium Pre 3. Then mics.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives".

compasspnt

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 03:34:36 PM »

You have to find where the hose is constricted...good water (or bad) can't get through until that is relieved.

jc-muscleshoals

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 04:32:55 PM »

compasspnt wrote on Wed, 31 March 2010 14:34

You have to find where the hose is constricted...good water (or bad) can't get through until that is relieved.

Well spoken.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives".
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 19 queries.