R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Could this still be decent?  (Read 9276 times)

Bert Van Daele

Re: Could this still be decent?
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2009, 10:45:20 AM »

Well, I've tried to maximize the available space as much as possible by squeezing the hall to a the minimum.

The result can be seen here:

http://home.scarlet.be/~bd085856/PSW/PlanB Top InnerWalls_v2.png

The thing is: I really, really need SOME space in the hallway since the doo is going to the outside, so it will be a place to get wet coats off and such... Plus, I will also have the electrical fuse box (or how is this correctly called in English) over there.
And last but not least, I also need to be able to access the airco units filter for cleaning from there.

So, taking these things in consideration, the plan above is what I truly believe to be using the maximum foorprint while still fullfiling the requirements described above. However, one major drawback is that I can only fit ONE door then, so no double wall isolation there. A second door would simply not open fully... So I was wondering whether this could still be a valid option???

Anyway, starting from there, I already tried to get an idea of how the acoustical treatment could look like. The intermediate result looks like this:

http://home.scarlet.be/~bd085856/PSW/PlanB Top Acoustics_v2.png

The Good: it's a lot bigger, there is more room for bass-trapping (especially in the back), it has almost perfect symmetry (the back might never get perfect due to the piano and such...).
The Bad: I still have a problem opening up the leftmost window. But maybe that doesn't need to be a problem at all.
And th elack of perfect symmertry in the back, of course.

Here's is a picture showing the speakers and piano as well:

http://home.scarlet.be/~bd085856/PSW/PlanB Top_v2.png

Anyway. I would be very glad with any input from you guys now. Am I on the right track or still far from it? What still terribly wrong, etc... Maybe let's concentrate on the Soundproofing first, since that's the one being built now...

Many thanks.

Regards,
Bert

bruno putzeys

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2009, 12:15:23 PM »

Not to go off on a tangent but I suddenly wondered: has anyone got experience combining soffit-mounted front channels with freestanding surrounds?
Warp Drive. Tractor Beam. Room Correction. Whatever.

Affiliations: Hypex, Grimm Audio.

Bert Van Daele

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2009, 01:13:01 PM »

Well, I personally have experienced it at the Galaxy Studios. The API room over there has soffit mounted mains in the front and free standing surround speakers. So, if it works for Ronald Prent, it can't be bad, can it?

bruno putzeys

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2009, 01:37:55 PM »

Been there a few times but he always had 5 identical custom KRK speakers tethered to the desk using just-long-enough cables Very Happy. But then I believe that you visited there some 2 years earlier.

The reason I was asking is because it could give you some more room. Thomas, what do you think of such a thing? Room acoustics isn't my gig (as anyone who's been to my place will attest Sad)
Warp Drive. Tractor Beam. Room Correction. Whatever.

Affiliations: Hypex, Grimm Audio.

Bert Van Daele

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2009, 02:20:18 PM »

Yes, he indeed has the KRKs as near-/mid-fields. But there are also the big Genelecs the room was originally designed for by Eric Desart and Prof. Vermeir.

Oh, and I was lucky enough to do more than just a visit there: I did a 6 month internship (end 2005/begin 2006). A superb time where I really learned a lot. A pity the time was not right to get a better position over there.

BUT.. to come to my room design: I have tried what this would bring but had two problems in finding a good design:
1. the wish for the central window eliminated the space for the center speaker
2. due to the angles and speaker distances in a soffit wall design, the room  became actually quite small (read: not very wide).

And on the other hand, I have this new idea that NOT doing the soffit-thing gives me more freedom for changing speakers when needed, etc...

However, if Thomas or anybody else has good ideas to do it otherwise, I am still very open to suggestions...

Many thanks indeed.

Regards,
Bert

Thomas Jouanjean

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2009, 05:51:31 PM »

Looking at the drawings, you're in the 'right direction'. A few comments I would have is that you still under estimate the space treatment will eat up. I also think there are maybe other ways of dealing with the entrance.

The shape you give to the room makes sense only as a 'visual finish'. Maybe you can give us more info about what is behind those walls/fabric?

The common mistake I see in a lot of DIY studios is that they indeed look like shaped rooms but once you dig it's all wrong behind. So they don't work.

You can virtually give any looks to a room, what matters is what's 'behind the scene'. A lot of people would be surprised!

Give me a call tomorrow morning, we can chat a bit about your project. I'm too lazy to type a long post  Very Happy

Bruno - I have to call you too soon Smile
Thomas Jouanjean
Northward Acoustics - Engineering and Designs
http://www.northwardacoustics.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Northward-Acoustics/1062876633 71

Pro Audio Partners:
ATC Loudspeakers
FOCAL Professional Speakers

Bert Van Daele

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2009, 02:40:50 AM »

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the offer. I will call you for sure...  Very Happy

But just to already give a quick answer: the drawing indeed doesn't show the 'behind-the-scene' treatment, yet. I first wanted to make sure that I had the dimensions and shape of my room right, especially the soundproofing, with the speaker setup and piano in mind.
Some more 'finetuning' will definitely be necessary...  Smile  

You may expect my call somewhere this morning to discuss this further.  Very Happy

Cheers,
Bert

Datcha

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2010, 05:37:38 PM »

Bert,

I have a one room setup myself for some time now.
It's a CR-type room with a small grand in it,
so it is very similar to what you have in mind.

I can testify that you can get excellent results in it.
I've recorded many vocals, acoustic guitars & the piano without any problems.

Although background noise from an AC-unit, computers or HD's,
can be a bit of a challenge when recording multiple layers of acoustic sources, you can deal with that using an iso-box for example.

In fact the room has been working so well for me,
that I didn't renovate a adjacent room yet.

I should state that I do use other studio's regularly for recording more complex sessions.

Good luck with the project!

Frank Duch
Cheers,

FD

Bert Van Daele

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2010, 09:36:58 AM »

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the support.

Yes, I now am also convinced that going to one bigger room will be a far better solution than two really small rooms.
The only thing I am still a bit struggling with is the find the best 'marriage' between building the best CR I can fit in the building, while still foreseeing all the space needed for my piano and equipment. Also, integrating the windows in the design is a pain, but I believe I am getting there.

During the holidays I have been thinking a lot about changing the room to a completely new design and turning everything 90 degrees.. I will post a picture of what I have in mind later on... Still trying out some stuff...

Thanks for the heads up!

Grtz,
Bert
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 21 queries.