R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Congratulations James Cameron  (Read 7560 times)

ziggy

Re: Congratulations James Cameron
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2010, 12:43:52 PM »

i went to see the movie yesterday. while i agree that it is not the most intellectually challenging movie, for the whole time of the movie i had the feeling i was witnessing "the future"....

i really liked the 3d stuff, and i'm looking forward to  cinema in 15 years Smile

danickstr

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2010, 04:27:19 PM »

I wonder if I will ever be so intellectual as to think this type of Boy meets girl loses girl gets girl saves themselves and the world plot  is trite.  I guess it depends on the delivery, but this delivery seemed very good to me.
Nick Dellos - MCPE  

Food for thought for the future:              http://http://www.kurzweilai.net/" target="_blank">http://www.kurzweilai.net/www.physorg.com

maarvold

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2010, 06:20:29 PM »

Just saw it in IMAX 3D.  Lots of fun to watch & experience.  Sound of the orchestra was not good: a big, generic gob of distant sound that was pushed to the sides and back behind the screen with a blanket over it (for the most part).  Lots of ironic things about the film: the Marines are the bad guys (while we are involved in 2 wars), Cameron uses machines (computers--which are totally necessary to create this film) to tell a story where beings without machines of their own triumph over humans and their machines... many more if I thought about it for a while.  Did anyone notice that when the girl's father was out and dying, the girl sounded like she said "Wakey wakey" (wake up).  If you ignore the CGI, the title of this film could have almost been "Stickin' It To The Man" (pun intended).  Some amazingly beautiful, fanciful (and fierce) creatures, plants, scenery.  All in all, I could see all the money up on the screen and I enjoyed that, but--aside from the fun of escaping to Cameron's fantasy world--not a story that changed my life even remotely.  But it was enjoyable.  
Michael Aarvold
Audio Engineer

Bill_Urick

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2010, 06:51:32 PM »

danickstr wrote on Mon, 04 January 2010 16:27

I wonder if I will ever be so intellectual as to think this type of Boy meets girl loses girl gets girl saves themselves and the world plot  is trite.  I guess it depends on the delivery, but this delivery seemed very good to me.

There is no other plot.
Only minor variations.
The saving themselves and the world thing is totally optional.
Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.

Rod Affleck

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2010, 08:37:42 AM »

Bill_Urick wrote on Mon, 04 January 2010 19:51

danickstr wrote on Mon, 04 January 2010 16:27

There is no other plot.
Only minor variations.

http://web.me.com/pascalboogaert/Site/foto3_files/original.jpg
Rod Affleck

Roadster

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2010, 10:56:18 AM »

Another little known fact is that Captain John Smith wrote the script for Disney as well as inspired the song "Fever".
Rich
Road's End Studio
Musician, Songwriter, Research Technician on Creative Muse

jetbase

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2010, 12:16:14 AM »

sleep is not an option

jwhynot: "There's a difference between thinking or acting dogmatically and drawing from experience."

Glenn Santry
http://www.myspace.com/glennsantry

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2010, 07:35:06 AM »

I found it to be engaging and delightful, regardless of the over the top CGI & somewhat predictable plot.

The scenes with Sam Worthington experiencing the joy of the "new" body & mobility are original & quite enjoyable. Made one feel as they were walking & running again for the first time.

Saw it in 3D, the Imax sold out in advance, the theater was packed even on it's fourth weekend.

The lines about "fight the terror" and "shock and awe" were probably added to create a little controversy and extra publicity.

I'll see it again, perhaps in 2D this time.

JT
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

Thomas W. Bethel

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2010, 09:15:58 AM »

I have seen it twice, once in 3D once in 2D. I personally prefer the 3D experience. For the 3D showing the theater was packed for a 12:00 noon performance on a Sunday. The price was high even for a matinee, the showing was marred for me by three young teen girls sitting next to me texting on their cell phones during the first half of the movie. They were asked by someone behind them to turn them off which they did during the second half of the screening. The sound was good, the story line somewhat predictable after the colonel was introduced complete with scratches on his face and scalp, the acting was good, the CGI and SFX were exceptional, the sound was well mixed, the music left something to be desired, the sound effects sounded like they were recycled from Jurassic Park but the movie was more than worth it.

One a scale on enjoyability from 1-10 I give it an 11.

FWIW and YMMV

-TOM-

Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
Room With a View Productions
http://www.acoustikmusik.com/

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.

Spindrift

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2010, 02:09:51 AM »

I thought it was beautifully done, but such a downer!  I mean, THE MARINES LOST!!!!

I had this feeling (from the looks I was getting) that I was cheering at inappropriate times for some reason?!

JSam

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2010, 06:34:00 PM »

Am I the only one to be incredibly saddened by all the hype and praise lavished on this movie when Episode 1 got absolutely slammed for looking (in 2D) exactly the same and having just as bad a plot?

Barry Hufker

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2010, 06:40:21 PM »

Episode 1 (Star Wars) got slammed because it could have been an excellent film and it wasn't.  Avatar never had a chance at that.

rollmottle

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2010, 07:20:03 PM »

JSam wrote on Thu, 04 February 2010 15:34

Am I the only one to be incredibly saddened by all the hype and praise lavished on this movie when Episode 1 got absolutely slammed for looking (in 2D) exactly the same and having just as bad a plot?

Part 1 of 7 of a 70 minute demolition of Episode 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI

Painfully hilarious and absolutely dead on. So worth watching.
SENTRALL Sound East
My SoundCloud | Twitter | www.sentrall.com

ssltech

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2010, 10:32:47 PM »

The plot:

http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/epic-fail-avatar-plot-fail.jpg

Keef
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 17 queries.