R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blue Microphones enCORE 100 Dynamic Cardioid Microphone  (Read 5340 times)

J.J. Blair

Blue Microphones enCORE 100 Dynamic Cardioid Microphone
« on: December 19, 2009, 06:40:10 PM »

Blue has an answer for the Shure SM58.  Only it's not as good.  Somebody showed up to our gig with this the other night.  The mids are piercing, and there's even less low end than a SM57.  Really not a pleasant mic to listen to, or have to try to get sound decent in the PA.  

I understand that Blue is trying to get into the mass sales market with this $99 mics, but this thing is really a piece of junk.  Maybe it's OK for doing karaoke at home, but if you're doing live sound, avoid this one.  I can't imagine it being great for recording, either.  
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Barry Hufker

Re: Blue Microphones enCORE 100 Dynamic Cardioid Microphone
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 06:59:44 PM »

Hmmmm.... I didn't know the SM58 was even a question, let alone one needing an answer.  The 57 and 58 are perfect for what they do.  One can always find a better mic (although not in this case it seems) but these are classic mics for a reason.

Barry

wwittman

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 02:11:43 AM »

race you to the bottom
William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

Ryan Slowey

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 11:16:28 AM »

Barry Hufker wrote on Sat, 19 December 2009 18:59

Hmmmm.... I didn't know the SM58 was even a question, let alone one needing an answer.  The 57 and 58 are perfect for what they do.  One can always find a better mic (although not in this case it seems) but these are classic mics for a reason.

Barry

True. I've found the 57 to be the most acceptable live vocal mic over the past few years. Tough to talk singers into using one vs. a 58 though. Something about that grill.

The best live vocal mic, in my experiences, has been my 57 with Oliver's replacement transformer.

JJ, your review of the Blue sums up my thoughts on the Heil PR22 exactly. Found that interesting, as that mic gets a lot of hype.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

My music: http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

J.J. Blair

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 04:42:49 PM »

At least the PR22 is extremely directional, eliminating feedback.  This thing was feeding back like a mofo.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Glenn Bucci

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 07:58:44 PM »

I like the Beta 57 and 58 better than the original ones, as they offer more high's and have more of a natural sound.

Blue has thee models of dynamic mic's and the 100 is the bottom of the list. The 200 and 300 look more interesting to me, never heard them though. http://www.bluemic.com/encore/encore.php

Andres Gonzalez

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 02:36:21 PM »

A couple of years ago I did sound for a live show with several teenage, high school singers (good singers but not professionals).  I first used SM58s on all of them and it was OK but not as clear as I wanted them to be. I then switched them all over to Senn 835 and wow what a difference! The Senns are cheaper than SM58s but were so much cleaner. I was able to get them on top of the instruments much better (without EQ) than I was able to using the SM58s.

I still have tons of SM58s and use them when required. However, I have switched over to using the Senns whenever I used to use a SM58 for live vocals--they are now my "SM58 standard" mics.

-Andres
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 18 queries.