R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Grimm LS1 monitors...  (Read 3142 times)

zmix

Grimm LS1 monitors...
« on: December 18, 2009, 11:39:26 am »

I stopped by Sony Mastering yesterday and Mark Wilder told me that he had spent a few weeks with the new Grimm LS1 monitors... apparently they are very accurate, and quite pleasant... but $15k???

Bruno, when are you going to make a generic black-painted version for =~$2k??    Shocked

mcsnare

Re: Grimm LS1 monitors...
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 11:53:41 pm »

Those look pretty cool and quite a sexy step response graph I see there. Lotta Benjamins for a 55hz -3db though...

Dave

Darius van H

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 06:26:50 am »

Curious to hear these speakers. 15k$ is a lot of coin, but that price includes amps, dsp and a D/A converter.

bruno putzeys

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 02:59:16 am »

manuf in Europe at low quantities + distri and dealer margin + unfavourable exchange rate = $$$ Sad
If we were to make 50 pairs a month that would seriously improve matters. But in order to do that you need to *sell* 50 pairs a month, a serious chicken + egg problem. That said, if you want to compare prices you should compare the equivalent package (i.e. incl amps & conversion), and under those conditions the product is pretty competitive.

55Hz is an artefact of the anechoic room which isn't anechoic below 150Hz. Most manufs combine the far-field data with a near-field measurement for the bottom end but that procedure leaves a bit too much wriggle room for my taste. So I prefer publishing raw, unedited data even if that means occasionally having to explain why the bottom end on the graph looks the way it does.

The actual fc is user settable. How low you set it depends on how loud you plan to play. Mine are usually set at 35Hz.
Warp Drive. Tractor Beam. Room Correction. Whatever.

Affiliations: Hypex, Grimm Audio.

Schallfeldnebel

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 04:24:02 pm »

Darius van H wrote on Sat, 19 December 2009 19:26

Curious to hear these speakers. 15k$ is a lot of coin, but that price includes amps, dsp and a D/A converter.

Compared to the 180K speakers in the other thread, it is a bargain, and those others don't even include the amps.
Bill Mueller:"Only very recently, has the availability of cheap consumer based gear popularized the concept of a rank amateur as an audio engineer. Unfortunately, this has also degraded the reputation of the audio engineer to the lowest level in its history. A sad thing indeed for those of us professionals."
Pages: [1]   Go Up