R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: where to get some decent recording mic stands?  (Read 6034 times)

aeser

where to get some decent recording mic stands?
« on: July 24, 2004, 03:52:27 PM »

i just have some cheapo 5 for like $80 mic stands and am looking to get some decent ones (that arn't rickety and ready to fall down/over at any moment) in particular i need a decent double overhead mic stand for drums (like the one stand that splits into 2 mic holders)?

any info would be most appreciated.

thanks

hollywood_steve

Re: where to get some decent recording mic stands?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2004, 08:14:57 PM »

in particular i need a decent double overhead mic stand for drums (like the one stand that splits into 2 mic holders)?

Not sure exactly what you mean by "one stand that splits into 2 mic holders" but the best solution that I have found for that type of application comes from Latchlake Music.
http://www.latchlakemusic.com/products/mk-accesories.asp
Their Xtra Boom is just what it sounds like, a separate boom arm designed to attach to an existing mic stand.  If your stand is strong enough, there is no limit to the number of Xtra Booms that you could mount on it.  But you might need to buy a decent stand first, then you will have a base strong enough to support 2 or more boom arms.  Of course Latchlake also offers a super strong stand.  Or you could consider a simple, heavy duty base like the Atlas MS25 and then mount a pair of Xtra Booms off of that.  That will give you much of the benefits of the Latchlake technology without the price tag attached to their amazing stand.  FWIW, I use a single stand for drum overheads with a stereo mic mount; I like the Shure A27m as a versatile and indestructible stereo mount.
http://www.shure.com/accessories/a27m.asp

Erik

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2004, 11:01:20 PM »

The sad state of microphone stands is all the proof I need that the audio industry is full of monkeys.

Wes will sell you quality stuff turnkey:

http://www.wesdooley.com/aea/Modular_Microphone_Stands.html

Alternately you can look to lighting supply catalogs and piece together your own stuff.  Or do a search for Bogen, Matthews and Manfrotto at rec.audio.pro via http://www.deja.com ... it'll pop up some helpful threads.

Markertek (http://www.markertek.com) has good prices and is a resource you should always check before you buy anything audio supply related.

--Erik
Erik Gavriluk, Bomb Factory Recording Studios
"The modern trouble is not the use of machinery, but the abuse of it." --Gustav Stickley, 1909

Roland Storch

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2004, 03:28:37 PM »

K&M has quality stands - maybe you find something there.
http://www.k-m.de/E/index.html

If you want a really expensive one look at the Manley Starbird deluxe studio boom. And Neumann has an even hevier one.

Fletcher

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2004, 09:33:59 AM »

FWIW, Michael and I were trying the new Latch Lake stands during the MOAW workshop... and I can say I've never been as impressed with a mic stand as I was with those... and I own an original 'Starbird'...  as always, YMMV
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

brandondrury

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2004, 02:32:11 AM »

As fun as it was at first to watch my large condensor mics fall over, I decided to take action.  I really didn't have the cash to shell out on new mic stands, so I just modified the ones I had.

I made sure I had the metal base style...not the tripod style.
I unscrewd the base, slapped a 10 or 15lb grey plastic weight from an old crappy weight bench set I used to have.  Then I put the base back on.  

It takes about 1 minute for each stand and makes the stands about 5x as stable.  Granted, it's not perfect, but for crappy weights that everyone seams to have in their basement, you really can't beat it.

Brandon

hollywood_steve

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2004, 04:46:31 PM »

slapped a 10 or 15lb grey plastic weight from an old crappy weight bench set I used to have. Then I put the base back on.

It takes about 1 minute for each stand and makes the stands about 5x as stable. Granted, it's not perfect, but for crappy weights that everyone seams to have in their basement, you really can't beat it.

And a LOT cheaper than the alternative, sand bags.  Have any of you priced sand or shot filled bags at your local tech supply shop?  Few of the pro audio places carry them, but all of the film and lighting supply shops out here have them in all shapes and sizes and they are absurdly expensive; like $40 for a 15lb bag!!! $30 for 10lb, $20 for $5lbs.  I am NOT exaggerating!

Unfortunately, sand bags are more flexible than old barbell weights and I really need to have a few on hand at location gigs.  But for studio guys who are just trying to stabilize a mic stand, go for the plates; you'll go broke buying sand bags....

hasbeen

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2004, 06:59:41 PM »

I'm surprised no one has mentioned OnStage boom stands. Great stands at a reasonable price. I have seen them at Mercenary...
Who is John Galt

JPRisus

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2004, 09:17:15 PM »

hasbeen wrote on Fri, 06 August 2004 18:59

I'm surprised no one has mentioned OnStage boom stands. Great stands at a reasonable price. I have seen them at Mercenary...

I have a bunch of 'em, ok but they slip a bit... useable but not as secure as a K&M or similar stand. And I desperately need some weights when using LDCs (used a case of Pepsi last week)... whatever works, right?
J.P. Sheganoski
Engineer/Mixer
www.RisusProductions.com
Purevolume.com/risusproductions

reenavipul

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2004, 07:50:15 PM »

<<And a LOT cheaper than the alternative, sand bags. Have any of you priced sand or shot filled bags at your local tech supply shop? Few of the pro audio places carry them, but all of the film and lighting supply shops out here have them in all shapes and sizes and they are absurdly expensive; like $40 for a 15lb bag!!! $30 for 10lb, $20 for $5lbs. I am NOT exaggerating!>>

The dirt cheap method is buying a bag of rock salt, which is like $3 for a 50lb bag. You'll also have to pick up a sturdier sack to hold it in.....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/AlecPappas/8ef2dac6.jpg

hasbeen

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2004, 06:48:46 PM »

JPRisus wrote on Fri, 06 August 2004 21:17

I have a bunch of 'em, ok but they slip a bit... useable but not as secure as a K&M or similar stand. And I desperately need some weights when using LDCs (used a case of Pepsi last week)... whatever works, right?

Are you talking about the OnStage boomstands with the big, heavy wheeled triangle shaped bases and 2 stage height adjustment? Or the regular little boom stands? I have never had a problem with weight issues as there is an adjustable counterweight on the other end of the boom....

Usually around 100 bux or so
Who is John Galt

Erik

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2004, 09:53:22 PM »

You can buy sand bags at the Home Improvement store.

You know every time it floods in the midwest and people build makeshift dams out of sandbags?  They gots 'em.

If you double bag and use a fairly coarse sand on the inside, it works fine.  Seal with a tie wrap, and wrap that with gaffer tape.  Match the color of the bag for an extra touch of white trash class.

Real 'pro' sandbags (the expensive kind) have a handle and are designed to fold over a C stand or support beam on the tripod.  They're great and once you've used them you'll see why it's worth $100 to get a set.

--Erik

Erik Gavriluk, Bomb Factory Recording Studios
"The modern trouble is not the use of machinery, but the abuse of it." --Gustav Stickley, 1909

mwagener

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2004, 12:18:36 AM »

Fletcher wrote on Mon, 26 July 2004 08:33

FWIW, Michael and I were trying the new Latch Lake stands during the MOAW workshop... and I can say I've never been as impressed with a mic stand as I was with those... and I own an original 'Starbird'...  as always, YMMV

Same here, though I don't own a Starbird. Great sturdy stands and adjustable to a lot of specific uses, very well made and no sandbags needed.

JPRisus

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2004, 07:35:34 PM »

hasbeen wrote on Mon, 09 August 2004 18:48

JPRisus wrote on Fri, 06 August 2004 21:17

Are you talking about the OnStage boomstands with the big, heavy wheeled triangle shaped bases and 2 stage height adjustment? Or the regular little boom stands? I have never had a problem with weight issues as there is an adjustable counterweight on the other end of the boom....

Usually around 100 bux or so

Sorry for the confusion Hasbeen... i was talking about the cheaper tripod boomstands that go for about $40 each.
J.P. Sheganoski
Engineer/Mixer
www.RisusProductions.com
Purevolume.com/risusproductions

jeeper

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2004, 10:28:11 PM »

I do a lot of clean remotes that call for a main stereo pair and I use the Bogen/Manfrotto 12ft light stand with a stereo bar mounted to the top.  Have had great luck without any added weight with that stand becacuse of its large footprint.  However I do not know that it would work as a drum OH without adding at least a short arm to offset it over the kit due to its footprint size.  Then I'd have to consider extra weight on the tripod. Photographers use that same stand with some large strobes with modifiers (boxes or umbrellas) without any or with little extra weight.  BTW either Bogen is the US distributor for Monfrotto (Italian) or they are the same company because both names are on most products now.

I'd put it up against almost anything for my application.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 16 queries.