R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice needed: (NT1000 or not)  (Read 1846 times)

baekgaard

Advice needed: (NT1000 or not)
« on: July 24, 2004, 12:09:56 PM »

Hi,

Despite this being my first post, I've been lurking here for a couple of years from time to time (and been more active over at cubase.net and homerec.com). Anyway, I don't seem to be able to find the complete archive of old posts where this may have been addressed earlier, so here goes my question:

I wasn't really looking for a new mic, but got the chance to get an NT1000 for a reasonable price. I already have a couple of other LDCs, a C1 and a B1. I have earlier tested a TB1 but returned it in favour of the B1. I also have some other mics, like (SDC) 4 Oktava MC012's, a couple of Behringer ECM8000, (Dynamics) Shure SM58, AKG D3800 etc.

I'm normally using a tfpro p3 as my preamp (often just without the compresser or EQ), but sometimes go straight into the mic inputs of my soundcard (STAudio CPort) or via my mixer, a Soundcraft Spirit Folio 12. I usually monitor on my Dynaudio BM6a speakers.

Before testing the NT1000, I would normally pull out the B1 for a "neutral" LDC and the C1 for a different quality of sound. However, in my testing, I found the NT1000 less over-bright than I had heard it on other peoples recordings. In fact, I was a bit surprised to find it warmer than the B1 -- and it showed the B1 as a bit harsh/hard at times... so it made me wonder if the NT1000 would be a better "all round" mic than the B1?

More details on what I tested them with/on can be found here: http://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=125487

However, I've seen many people say that it is easy to become tired of the NT1000 sound... so my question is really this:

* Should I ditch the NT1000 and better go get a MXL V67G for that warmer sound

* or should I keep the NT1000 as an addition to the B1 and C1

* or are the differences between the NT1000 and the B1 not larger than what others feel can be "fixed" with a bit of EQ?

Do others also find the B1 to be a bit "hard" on some material?

Harvey, I'd certainly like your input, since I guess you're familiar with all these mics.

I mostly record male and female vocals (not only my own), acoustic guitar, percussion, flute, sax, accordeon...

Thanks in advance,

-- Per.

John Ivan

Re: Advice needed: (NT1000 or not)
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2004, 11:02:58 AM »

I'm not Harvey but I can tell you this. If you think you can find a place for this mic in your recording journey, then pick it up. I found that the idea is to have a collection of mics that sound different from one another. If you liked how it sounded, then that's that.
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

baekgaard

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2004, 12:03:39 PM »

ivan40 wrote on Sun, 25 July 2004 17:02

I'm not Harvey but

Thanks for the input. Guess it is more a question of 1) whether it is different enough from what I already have to justify the spend, or if e.g. a MXL V67G would offer a wider set of options, and 2) if I will grow tired of the "Rode" sound.

Anyway, just to make it clear, I certainly appreciate input from everyone -- including, but not in no way limited to, Harvey Wink

Thanks in advance,

-- Per.

baekgaard

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004, 06:58:56 AM »

Not much interest in this topic, it seems Wink

Noone have any thoughts about the NT1000 vs the B1/C1 and the V67?

I'm still a bit surprised about the NT1000 sound vs the B1, as it didn't really match my expectations.

-- Per.

Tomas Danko

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2004, 05:22:10 PM »

baekgaard wrote on Tue, 03 August 2004 11:58

Not much interest in this topic, it seems Wink

Noone have any thoughts about the NT1000 vs the B1/C1 and the V67?

I'm still a bit surprised about the NT1000 sound vs the B1, as it didn't really match my expectations.

-- Per.

Generally speaking you get more noise, less low end, harsher sibilants when pushing the mic as well as more ugly midrange artifacts off axis when you go for the Studio Projects B1, as compared to the Rode NT1000.

Now, I've listened to quite a bunch of these mic's and even though Rode's are usually much more even in quality compared to all Soundking/797 contenders I have still found some units sounding great and some less inspiring.

But I do claim that if you dig out the best NT1000 in a pile, versus the best B1 in another pile, the NT1000 will come out as a winner on several issues.

A final issue would be that of mechanical quality. I believe the NT1000 will outlive the B1 during wear and tear.

Cheers,

Danko
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 17 queries.