R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Desk & rack angle  (Read 23243 times)

Andrew Hamilton

Re: Desk & rack angle
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2009, 01:58:16 PM »

That's a nice desk, subvertbeats.  Are you going to put some VU meters, an insert switcher, or patch panel, in the empty slots - or at least some Pul-tec like FunkLogic
www.serifsound.com
premastering for CD and DVD-A.  Featuring FTP load in and delivery as well as analog tape transfers.

subvertbeats

« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2009, 02:45:39 PM »

Andrew Hamilton wrote on Mon, 07 December 2009 18:58

That's a nice desk, subvertbeats.  Are you going to put some VU meters, an insert switcher, or patch panel, in the empty slots - or at least some Pul-tec like FunkLogic

Peter Beckmann

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2009, 05:35:55 PM »

I used to work with two screens, but honestly the improvement in going to a single [smallish] screen is well worth it.

I do have a large LCD screen on my front wall [for those rare occasions I work on DVD and video projects]. I can use that as a second screen from my Mac if needs be.

Quote:

Im saving the pennies for a crookwood console and VU's.

Crispin's stuff is great, I've got a set of his VU meters, though I did go the Manley Backbone router in the end.

Peter

Peter
Peter Beckmann
Technologyworks
http://www.technologyworks.co.uk

pmx

« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2009, 07:26:21 AM »

Quote:

(If anyone is interested I can make a photo and post it.)

i'd like to see a pic robin, sounds like a good idea.

for my new room, i'm still very much in doubt. it's either the current setup up low profile racks with a mac to the side, or building a sterling-style two bay desk with a 'runway' in the middle for the icon, gonio and avocet. the three bay sterling is nice too, with the screen in the middle bay...
Paul Matthijs Lombert | The Mastering Factory

dietrich

« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2009, 08:19:13 AM »

I went from this massive production style desk with desk top racks and side racks to a stripped down setup- slanted angle rack on wheels and a very small desk top. I usually start my masters with some cuts via digital eqs before hits the analog chain and accustomed to the monitor right in front of me and the rack next to it or rolling wherever works that day for me.

Still deciding on a sterling desk or custom style of it for the spring.
the lack of furniture in the room now makes me happy though. i was so closed in before and getting wood reflections from the old monster

24-96 Mastering

« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2009, 02:26:43 PM »

pmx wrote on Wed, 09 December 2009 13:26

Quote:

(If anyone is interested I can make a photo and post it.)

i'd like to see a pic robin, sounds like a good idea.

Sorry for the delay in my reply. To compensate, I went a bit over the top taking pictures Wink Here goes:

Desk, front view.

http://www.24-96.net/xchange/001.jpg

Side view.

http://www.24-96.net/xchange/002.jpg

The left and right racks have a 30 degree angle with ca. 3 rack unit heights submerged below the table top. The middle rack is not submerged to allow more desk space in front of it. It was added long after the initial build and only has a 12 degree angle  because otherwise it would get in the way of the screens.

Operator view onto a submerged rack.

http://www.24-96.net/xchange/003.jpg

From operator position, all controls are visible.

A nice bonus with having the submerged rack thing is that it's actually kinda nice to be able to rest your wrists on the table while operating a unit. Very relaxed.
24-96 Mastering
CD - SACD - DVD

24-96 Mastering

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2009, 03:00:18 PM »

pmx wrote on Wed, 09 December 2009 13:26

for my new room, i'm still very much in doubt. it's either the current setup up low profile racks with a mac to the side, or building a sterling-style two bay desk with a 'runway' in the middle for the icon, gonio and avocet. the three bay sterling is nice too, with the screen in the middle bay...

My desk used to have a 'runway' in the middle. That was really nice for documents, various remotes and to have the keyboard and mouse comfortable pushed back. More importantly, I think it makes for a relaxed feel, a comfortable working environment. If you don't need the amount of rack units, I'd go for that, especially since otherwise (on the 3way sterling), the amount of space between rack and operator is a bit cramped, feels a bit like you're 'thrown into gear' imo.

And I should say, if those sterling consoles had been available when I built the studio, I would definitely have gone for them instead of building my own. That would have been cheaper and easier. Not as individualistic / original, but who wants originality these days Wink

24-96 Mastering
CD - SACD - DVD

Waltz Mastering

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2009, 03:34:36 PM »

Robin, I haven't seen half rack spacers, Did you have those cut?

bblackwood

« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2009, 03:40:11 PM »

24-96 Mastering wrote on Fri, 11 December 2009 14:00

[And I should say, if those sterling consoles had been available when I built the studio, I would definitely have gone for them instead of building my own. That would have been cheaper and easier. Not as individualistic / original, but who wants originality these days Wink

If you're willing to pay extra, Sterling Modular does custom work as well...

index.php/fa/13902/0/
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

24-96 Mastering

« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2009, 03:41:20 PM »

Waltz Mastering wrote on Fri, 11 December 2009 21:34

Robin, I haven't seen half rack spacers, Did you have those cut?

No, you can buy those. I ordered mine from the UK (I'll see if I can dig up the link) but I'm sure you can get them in the US too.

PS: Sorry Tom, I can't seem to find the link. Does anyone else know where to get them?
24-96 Mastering
CD - SACD - DVD

Andrew Hamilton

« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2009, 06:08:10 PM »

During EQ, I am putting my flat panel display on a couple of 3" x 6" bricks on the floor, flanking my left foot.  I can see it almost as easily as before, when it was off to the left side, but the left speaker does sound somewhat better without it up there.  Again, for deClick, marking, fades, etc..., the flat panel display can sit just behind the keypad in the middle of the desk.  

I like the Sterling plan A, but, with the available articulating arms, does the flat panel have the ability to be pushed down, completely out of sight?  

Also, I'd either have to go with a Backbone or a new patch panel, in order to hard-bypass the unused stuff.  The patch panel I now have would not fit in a normal rack space.  

Andrew
www.serifsound.com
premastering for CD and DVD-A.  Featuring FTP load in and delivery as well as analog tape transfers.

mastertone

« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2009, 07:11:55 PM »

Here is one, no that pretty maybe but cheap...

http://www.thomann.de/gb/thon_rackblende_0,5he.htm

Jonas Ekstrom
Mastertone Mastering
www.mastertone.se

Waltz Mastering

« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2009, 12:38:22 PM »

^^^^^
Thanks guy's.  I'm am going to keep an eye out for the vented ones, as this will help solve a rack space vs. air flow problem.

24-96 Mastering

« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2009, 08:14:28 PM »

Waltz Mastering wrote on Sat, 12 December 2009 18:38

^^^^^
Thanks guy's.  I'm am going to keep an eye out for the vented ones, as this will help solve a rack space vs. air flow problem.

I think I found the vented ones back then by asking in a post over on another forum. If you post a thread there, someone is bound to lead you to them. The price to pay is that unfortunately, the thread will inevitably turn into a discussion about dither.
24-96 Mastering
CD - SACD - DVD

mastertone

« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2009, 08:30:09 AM »

24-96 Mastering wrote on Sat, 12 December 2009 19:14

Waltz Mastering wrote on Sat, 12 December 2009 18:38

^^^^^

I think I found the vented ones back then by asking in a post over on another forum. If you post a thread there, someone is bound to lead you to them. The price to pay is that unfortunately, the thread will inevitably turn into a discussion about dither.

What the hell is dither?  Razz
Jonas Ekstrom
Mastertone Mastering
www.mastertone.se
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up