R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Melodyne DNA plug in - the long awaited crash machine  (Read 19835 times)

JGauthier

Re: Melodyne DNA plug in - the long awaited crash machine
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2009, 11:13:46 AM »

Tomas Danko wrote on Mon, 07 December 2009 03:29

I guess the reason why I actually prefer the stand-alone version is that I never use it in automatic mode. Instead, I overhaul the vocals manually and tweak things until I think this will be the vocal tracks in the song and be done with it.

So practically speaking, I put on my scrutinizer hat for a while and alter pitch and timing across all vocal tracks. From there, I just update the audio files in the song project and go back to arranging and mixing etc.

I like to commit to the source material, and not deal with pitch issues or comping etc once I'm doing the final mixing.

See the problem with this is pitch variation. If you track to a LIVE orchestra, combined with other instruments, you get a sort of RELATIVE pitch. Theres NO WAY to use it as a stand alone if the pitch is squirrley OVERALL...

And if you record mostly live players and acoustic instruments, pitch is a completely different game...

Its impossible to pitch vox correctly with out relativity. I hate to poorly quote Fletchers quote but, "there are no emotions on a grid"...

Tomas Danko

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2009, 11:46:30 AM »

JGauthier wrote on Thu, 17 December 2009 16:13

I guess the reason why I actually prefer the stand-alone version is that I never use it in automatic mode. Instead, I overhaul the vocals manually and tweak things until I think this will be the vocal tracks in the song and be done with it.

So practically speaking, I put on my scrutinizer hat for a while and alter pitch and timing across all vocal tracks. From there, I just update the audio files in the song project and go back to arranging and mixing etc.

I like to commit to the source material, and not deal with pitch issues or comping etc once I'm doing the final mixing.

See the problem with this is pitch variation. If you track to a LIVE orchestra, combined with other instruments, you get a sort of RELATIVE pitch. Theres NO WAY to use it as a stand alone if the pitch is squirrley OVERALL...

And if you record mostly live players and acoustic instruments, pitch is a completely different game...

Its impossible to pitch vox correctly with out relativity. I hate to poorly quote Fletchers quote but, "there are no emotions on a grid"...

Which is why you render out the rest of the music into a separate file and put it on a track inside Melodyne for reference.
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

jetbase

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2010, 06:59:07 PM »

I've been trying Melodyne Essential RTAS with PT MPowered 8.03 (on PC) for the past couple of weeks. Sounds like the same problems as DNA in the OP (crashing PT, restarts computer). Anybody have any success with this thing?
sleep is not an option

jwhynot: "There's a difference between thinking or acting dogmatically and drawing from experience."

Glenn Santry
http://www.myspace.com/glennsantry

nob turner

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2010, 09:09:58 PM »

don't know about melodyne essential, but i have used melodyne editor (dna) for a bit, and while it is extremely processor hungry, it can work.  the other day i tuned single notes of violin double-stops and improved them, which isn't doable with any other software i know.  

however, it is far from perfect.  i tried to correct an out-of-tune note in an acoustic guitar chord, and there was too much chorusing to be listenable.  and it DOES crash protools periodically.  clearly it is safest to render any corrections you make with it.
Why do you think they call it the control room?
www.garymankin.com

iCombs

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2010, 02:07:29 PM »

Tomas Danko wrote on Fri, 18 December 2009 10:46

Which is why you render out the rest of the music into a separate file and put it on a track inside Melodyne for reference.

+1.

Did 12 tracks of tuning that way just yesterday.
Ian Combs
Producer/Engineer
Lightspeed Group, Inc.
----------------------
"Mista apareeatah... can I have maar beass at all frequencies?"

JGauthier

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2010, 03:35:27 PM »

Tomas Danko wrote on Fri, 18 December 2009 08:46

Seriously? Yeah, thats not a crapload of extra steps... These orchestral shows are 60 minutes of music. Im supposed to bounce 60 minutes of music just for pitch reference? What world does that work in...

You CAN make it work but this is not how it was intended. And your work around requires a bit more thinking than a single pitch reference when tracking orchestra sections. You would need to bounce MULTIPLE references and in protools thats all real time bouncing...

Come on- for professionals remember... That means the minimum requirement is "it works"... If you have to flog it into submission thats a load...

Tomas Danko

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2010, 03:54:41 PM »

JGauthier wrote on Sun, 28 March 2010 20:35

Seriously? Yeah, thats not a crapload of extra steps... These orchestral shows are 60 minutes of music. Im supposed to bounce 60 minutes of music just for pitch reference? What world does that work in...

You CAN make it work but this is not how it was intended. And your work around requires a bit more thinking than a single pitch reference when tracking orchestra sections. You would need to bounce MULTIPLE references and in protools thats all real time bouncing...

Come on- for professionals remember... That means the minimum requirement is "it works"... If you have to flog it into submission thats a load...

Most of us here don't do 60 minute songs.
Some of us here prefer to wear different hats during different periods throughout a project.

I like to sit and focus on fixing small pitch- and timing anomalities and not consider anything else.
I like even more to reimport the fixed audio files into the song/mixing project and get on with more important things and forget about tuning.

The step to render out a song and drag the file to the Melodyne project, while dragging the other files needed, is not even a minor inconvenience or time consumer as far as I am concerned. It's easy to find a few minutes where you don't absolutely have to be near the computer, or use Pro Tools/Logic etc.

To me, this works really well and I prefer this workflow to other methods.

But then I do not do 60 minute songs!
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

dbmusic

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2010, 05:29:40 PM »

Tomas Danko wrote on Sun, 28 March 2010 14:54

Some of us here prefer to wear different hats during different periods throughout a project.

I like to sit and focus on fixing small pitch- and timing anomalities and not consider anything else.
I like even more to reimport the fixed audio files into the song/mixing project and get on with more important things and forget about tuning.

The step to render out a song and drag the file to the Melodyne project, while dragging the other files needed, is not even a minor inconvenience or time consumer as far as I am concerned. It's easy to find a few minutes where you don't absolutely have to be near the computer, or use Pro Tools/Logic etc.

+1

I've used Melodyne for years in exactly this manner and it suits my workflow just fine. Never cared much for the plugin interface. Nor do I need to import other reference tracks just to fix a few errant notes. I just split and render out a small section of the track I want to fix, use Melodyne to do it's thing, then drag and drop it back. Using this method I can't remember a single instance of it ever crashing.

Different strokes I guess.

Regards,

DB

maarvold

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2010, 10:52:23 AM »

Got an email from Celimony this morning where they say:

"We would like, however, to remind you that further development of Melodyne plugin has been discontinued."  Unfortunate, imo.  
Michael Aarvold
Audio Engineer

bleen

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2010, 03:34:12 PM »

maarvold wrote on Sat, 17 April 2010 07:52

"We would like, however, to remind you that further development of Melodyne plugin has been discontinued."  Unfortunate, imo.  

That's the original Melodyne plug-in, not the currently available plug-in version of Melodyne Editor.

jetbase

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2010, 07:41:00 PM »

bleen wrote on Sun, 18 April 2010 05:34

maarvold wrote on Sat, 17 April 2010 07:52

That's the original Melodyne plug-in, not the currently available plug-in version of Melodyne Editor.

I got an e-mail on Saturday advising me of updates available now for Editor, Assistant & Essential RTAS.
sleep is not an option

jwhynot: "There's a difference between thinking or acting dogmatically and drawing from experience."

Glenn Santry

maarvold

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2010, 05:46:26 PM »

I got an email today advising the following:

"You are receiving this mail because you recently downloaded the update to Melodyne editor 1.1. The information it contains is only relevant if you use Pro Tools as host for Melodyne. If you use some other host, you can ignore this mail.

Melodyne editor 1.1 contains a bug that unfortunately was only detected after the release of the update. Under certain circumstances, this bug can result in the loss of your Melodyne edits when a saved Pro Tools project is reopened. As a precaution, therefore, we recommend you to download and install a service update from which the bug has been removed."

The email also contains a link to update Melodyne to a newer version with the bug fix in place.  
Michael Aarvold
Audio Engineer

jetbase

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2010, 07:34:33 PM »

maarvold wrote on Sat, 24 April 2010 07:46

I got an email today advising the following:

"You are receiving this mail because you recently downloaded the update to Melodyne editor 1.1. The information it contains is only relevant if you use Pro Tools as host for Melodyne. If you use some other host, you can ignore this mail.

Melodyne editor 1.1 contains a bug that unfortunately was only detected after the release of the update. Under certain circumstances, this bug can result in the loss of your Melodyne edits when a saved Pro Tools project is reopened. As a precaution, therefore, we recommend you to download and install a service update from which the bug has been removed."

The email also contains a link to update Melodyne to a newer version with the bug fix in place.  

I'm still having problems running this latest version in PT8 - virtually unusable. Is anyone having any success?
sleep is not an option

Glenn Santry

eric_hedford

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2010, 04:40:35 PM »

Tomas Danko wrote on Sun, 28 March 2010 20:54

JGauthier wrote on Sun, 28 March 2010 20:35

J.J. Blair

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2010, 01:54:54 PM »

I'm hoping that one day I can buy a working version of this plug-in, to use with PT8.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 21 queries.